view all 29
About Elizabeth Butler (Sheffield)
- 'Hon. Elizabeth Sheffield1
- 'F, #38586, d. circa 1601
- Last Edited=11 Jun 2006
- ' Hon. Elizabeth Sheffield was the daughter of John Sheffield, 2nd Baron Sheffield.1 She married Thomas Butler, 10th Earl of Ormonde, son of James Butler, 9th Earl of Ormonde and Lady Joan FitzGerald. She died circa 1601. She was buried on 2 April 1601 at St. Canice Cathedral, St. Canice.
- ' Her married name became Butler.
- 'Children of Hon. Elizabeth Sheffield and Thomas Butler, 10th Earl of Ormonde
- 1.Thomas Butler d. 12 Jan 1606
- 2.Elizabeth Butler+1 d. 10 Oct 1628
- 3.James Butler, Viscount Thurles b. 1584
- 1.[S6] G.E. Cokayne; with Vicary Gibbs, H.A. Doubleday, Geoffrey H. White, Duncan Warrand and Lord Howard de Walden, editors, The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain and the United Kingdom, Extant, Extinct or Dormant, new ed., 13 volumes in 14 (1910-1959; reprint in 6 volumes, Gloucester, U.K.: Alan Sutton Publishing, 2000), volume II, page 452. Hereinafter cited as The Complete Peerage.
- From: http://www.thepeerage.com/p3859.htm#i38586
- 'Elizabeth SHEFFIELD (C. Ormonde)
- 'Died: Nov 1600
- 'Buried: 21 Apr 1601, St. Canice, Kilkenny
- Father: John SHEFFIELD (2° B. Sheffield of Butterwick)
- Mother: Douglas HOWARD (B. Sheffield of Butterwick)
- 'Married: Thomas Dubh BUTLER (10° E. Ormonde) 9 Nov 1582, London, England
- 1. Elizabeth BUTLER
- 2. James BUTLER (1° V. Thurles)
- From: http://www.tudorplace.com.ar/SHEFFIELD.htm#Elizabeth SHEFFIELD (C. Ormonde)
- John Sheffield, 2nd Baron Sheffield, of Butterwick (c. 1538 – 10 December 1568) was the first son of Edmund Sheffield, 1st Baron Sheffield and Lady Anne de Vere.
- He married Douglas Howard, daughter of William Howard, 1st Baron Howard of Effingham and Margaret Gamage. They had two children:
- ' 1.Elizabeth Sheffield (died November, 1600) married Thomas Butler, 10th Earl of Ormonde
- 2.Edmund Sheffield, 1st Earl of Mulgrave (7 December 1565 – 6 October 1665) married (1) Ursulla Tyrwhitt (2) Mariana Irwin
- Sheffield family Accessed February 18, 2008
- From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Sheffield,_2nd_Baron_Sheffield_of_Butterwick
- 'Thomas Butler, 10th Earl of Ormonde and 3rd Earl of Ossory, Viscount Thurles (c. 1531 – 22 November 1614), was an Irish peer and the son of James Butler, 9th Earl of Ormond and Lady Joan Fitzgerald daughter and heiress-general of James FitzGerald, 10th Earl of Desmond. He was Lord Treasurer of Ireland and a very prominent personage .....
- He married, firstly, Elizabeth Berkeley, daughter of Thomas Berkeley, 6th Lord Berkeley and Anne Savage. They separated in 1564 without issue.
- 'He married secondly, Elizabeth Sheffield on 9 November 1582 at London. She was the daughter of John Sheffield, 2nd Baron Sheffield and Douglas, daughter of William Howard, 1st Baron Howard of Effingham. They had three children:
- James Butler, (b. 4 September 1583, died 1589)
- Elizabeth Butler (before 1593- 1628), married, firstly, her first cousin Theobald Butler, Viscount Butler of Tulleophelim, son of Sir Edmund Butler of Cloughgrenan and Hon. Eleanor Eustace, without issue. Her father Thomas, had executed her husband's two elder brothers for treason in 1596. She married, secondly, Richard Preston, Baron Dingwall, and had one daughter, Elizabeth Preston.
- Thomas Butler (before 1601- 1606)
- He married, in 1601, Helena Barry, daughter of David Fitz-James de Barry, 5th Viscount Buttevant, without issue.
- The Earl also had an illegitimate son, Piers FitzThomas Butler of Duisk who married Catherine Fleming, by whom he had a son, Edward Butler, 1st Viscount Galmoye.
- As the Earl died without legal male issue, the Earldom reverted in the male line, to the junior branch of the family through his brother John Butler .....
- From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Butler,_10th_Earl_of_Ormonde