Elizabeth Garnett (Powell)
|Death:||Died in Jamestown, Elizabeth City, Virginia|
|Managed by:||Private User|
Matching family tree profiles for Elizabeth Garnett
About Elizabeth Garnett
Elizabeth Powell was born about 1599 in Lancashire, England and died after 1625 probably in Virginia.
Parents: Not known
- in 1618 in Elizabeth City, Virginia to Thomas Garnett (b. 1585), son of Anthony Garnett and Susan.
- Susan Garnett was born in 1620 in Elizabeth city county. She married Richard Foster about 1642 in Elizabeth City.
- John Garnett was born about 1625 in Jamestown, Elizabeth City county, Virginia. He died after Apr 1703 in Gloucester county, Virginia. He married unknown about 1648 in Elizabeth City.
- In a "Muster of Inhabitants" taken on 20 January to 7 February 1624/5, Thomas Garnett was living at Elizabeth City, aged 40, having come to Virginia in 1610 in the good ship "Swan." Living with him were his wife, Elizabeth, aged 26, who came in the "Neptune" in 1618, and their young daughter, Susan, aged three.
- The 1618 date serves to identify Elizabeth as being among the very first women to arrive in the colony. Previously the settlers had almost all been men. In 1619 a boat load of young women arrived to become wives of the lonely settlers. Each settler gave the London Company 120 pounds of tobacco in payment for his wife's passage.
- "There is some evidence in the early land records of the Virginia colony that helps to confirm that in addition to the one daughter named Susan, Thomas Garnett may also have had two younger sons named John Garnett and Thomas Garnett, both born at some point after the 1624/25 muster was recorded." - From Doug Garnett on Garnett-L@rootsweb.com
- (or Elizabeth Cittie?) see http://shissem.com/Hissem_Garnets_of_America.html
- Thomas Garnett (c1650) He may be the son of John.
- John Garnett (c1648) He may be the son of John. He may be the son of John. He was born about 1648 (or 1652?) in Elizabeth City, Virginia. He died on 12 November 1703 (or 1743) in Kingston Parish, Gloucester county, Virginia. Another source shows his date of death as 1709. Of Gloucester, later Essex county, Virginia. A "supposed immigrant," who could not trace his parentage in England, but thought to be from Lancashire. He married Ann (Taylor?) in about 1670 in Essex county.
----------------------------- From rootsweb:
It has not been proven that Thomas GARNETT's wife was named Elizabeth POWELL. We do know from the muster of 1623 that her first name was Elizabeth and that she had come to the American colonies from England in about 1618 on the "Neptune"
Thomas came to the New World as an indentured servent to William Powell. See Notes for Thomas Garnett with regards to William Powell's attitude towards him. I'm skeptical as to William allowing his daughter to marry Thomas Garnett.