Elizabeth Mure of Rowallan
|Also Known As:||"Elizabeth Mure", "Elizabeth More", "Elizabeth Muir", "Elizabeth Mohr", "Elizabeth de la Mohr", "Elizabeth of Atholl", "Countess of Atholl", "Queen of Scotland"|
|Birthplace:||Rowallan Castle, Kilmarnock, Ayrshire, Scotland|
|Death:||Died in Kyle, Ayrshire, Scotland|
|Place of Burial:||Paisley Abbey, Paisley, Renfrewshire, Scotland, United Kingdom|
Daughter of Sir Adam Mure of Rowallan; Sir Adam Mure; Janet Muir of Polkelly and Janet Mure
|Occupation:||Countess of Strathearn, Countess of Athol, Queen of Scotland, Countess of Atholl on 22 November 1347, Died before she became queen, ШшѬѭѬѬѬѬ ѭѭѭѭ Ѭ, Queen Consort of Scotland|
|Managed by:||Private User|
Matching family tree profiles for Elizabeth Mure of Rowallan
About Elizabeth Mure of Rowallan
Elizabeth Mure (died before May 1355) was mistress and then wife of Robert, High Steward of Scotland, and Guardian of Scotland (1338–1341 and from October 1346), who later became King Robert II of Scotland.
Elizabeth Mure (Muir) was said to be born at Rowallan Castle. Her parents were Sir Adam Mure of Rowallan, Ayrshire and Janet Mure.
She initially became the Steward's mistress. He married her in 1336 but the marriage was criticised as uncanonical, so he remarried her in 1349 following a papal dispensation dated at Avignon 22 November 1347.
She died before her husband inherited the crown at the rather advanced age of 54, and he later re-married (Papal Dispensation dated 2 May 1355).
On 27 March 1371, "The Lord John (who later took the title of King Robert III, changing his name because of what he saw as John de Baliol's unpatriotic desecration of the name John), Earl of Carrick and Steward of Scotland, first-born son of King Robert II" was declared heir to the Crown by Parliament in Scone Abbey.
They had at least ten children, with some accounts saying as many as thirteen. Doubts about the validity of her marriage led to family disputes over her children's right to the crown.
- Robert III, born John Stewart, Earl of Carrick
- Walter Stewart, Lord of Fife
- Robert Stewart, Duke of Albany (c1340–1420)
- Alexander Stewart, Earl of Buchan
- Margaret Stewart, married John of Islay, Lord of the Isles
- Marjorie Stewart, married firstly, John Dunbar, 5th Earl of Moray, and secondly, Sir Alexander Keith
- Johanna (Jean) Stewart, married firstly, Sir John Keith, secondly, Sir John Lyon, and thirdly in 1384, Sir James Sandilands.
- Isabella Stewart, married firstly, James Douglas, 2nd Earl of Douglas, and secondly, David Edmonstone
- Katherine Stewart, married Sir Robert Logan of Grugar and Restalrig, Lord High Admiral of Scotland
- Elizabeth Stewart, married Sir Thomas Hay, Lord High Constable of Scotland
- Polnoon Castle - Elizabeth was a grand-daughter of Sir John Montgomerie of Polnoon.
- Dunbar, Sir Archibald H., Bt., Scottish Kings, a Revised Chronology of Scottish History 1005 - 1625, Edinburgh, 1899, p. 160-1.
- McAndrew, Bruce A., Scotlands Historic Heraldry, Boydell Press, 2006: ISBN 1-84383-261-5
From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_Mure ______________________
- Elizabeth Muir1,2,3,4,5
- F, #3152, b. circa 1320, d. before 1355
- Father Sir Adam Muir2,3,4,5 b. c 1275, d. c 1349
- Mother Joan de Cunningham5
- Elizabeth Muir was born circa 1320 at of Rowallan, Kilmarnock, Ayrshire, Scotland. She and Sir Robert II Stewart, King of Scotland, Earl of Atholl, Strathearn, 7th Steward of Scotland obtained a marriage license on 22 November 1347; Date of dispensation, being related in the 4th degree of consanguinity. And he'd had carnal relations with Isabel Butler who was related in the 3rd & 4th degrees of consanguinity to Elizabeth Muir. She had been his mistress for a number of years. They had 4 sons (Sir John, Earl of Carrick (afterwards Robert III, King of Scotland; Walter, Lord of Fife; Sir Robert, 1st Duke of Albany, Earl of Fife & Menteith; & Sir Alexander, Earl of Buchan & Ross) and 5 daughters, (Margaret, wife of John MacDonald, Lord of the Isles; Marjory, wife of John de Dunbar, & of Alexander Keith; Elizabeth, wife of Sir Thomas de Hay; Isabel, wife of Sir James, Earl of Douglas & Mar, Lord Liddesdale; & Jean/Joan, wife of John de Keith, of Sir John Lyon, & of Sir James de Sandilands).2,3,4,5 Elizabeth Muir died before 1355; Buried at Church of the Blackfriars, Perth, Perthshire.3,5
- Family Sir Robert II Stewart, King of Scotland, Earl of Atholl, Strathearn, 7th Steward of Scotland b. 2 Mar 1316, d. 19 Apr 1390
- Marjory Stewart+3,5 d. a 6 May 1417
- Elizabeth Stewart+3,5
- Isabel Stewart+3,5 d. bt 7 Apr 1410 - 18 Mar 1415
- Walter Stewart, Earl of Fife2,3,5,6 d. bt 14 Aug 1362 - 10 Jan 1363
- Sir Alexander Stewart, Earl of Buchan, Ross, Lord of Badenoch+3,4,5,7 d. bt 1 Aug 1405 - 25 Mar 1406
- Margaret Stewart+3,5
- Jean (Joan) Stewart+3,5 d. a 1404
- Sir Robert III Stewart, King of Scotland, Earl of Atholl & Carrick+3,5 b. c 1337, d. 4 Apr 1406
- Sir Robert Stewart, Duke of Albany, Earl Menteith, Fife, Buchan, Atholl+3,5 b. 1339, d. 2 Sep 1420
- 1.[S266] Unknown author, The Lineage and Ancestry of HRH Prince Charles, by Gerald Paget, Vol. 1, p. 158.
- 2.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. I, p. 472.
- 3.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. III, p. 538.
- 4.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. III, p. 526-527.
- 5.[S4] Douglas Richardson, Royal Ancestry, Vol. I, p. 614.
- 6.[S4] Douglas Richardson, Royal Ancestry, Vol. II, p. 202.
- 7.[S4] Douglas Richardson, Royal Ancestry, Vol. I, p. 602.
- From: http://our-royal-titled-noble-and-commoner-ancestors.com/p105.htm#i3152
- Elizabeth Mure of Rowallan1
- F, #102098, d. before 1355
- Last Edited=20 Jan 2011
- Elizabeth Mure of Rowallan was the daughter of Sir Adam Mure of Rowallan and Janet Mure. She married Robert II Stewart, King of Scotland, son of Walter Stewart, 6th High Steward of Scotland and Margorie Bruce, Princess of Scotland, on 22 November 1347, by Papal dispensation, which legitimised their previously born children.2 She died before 1355.3
- As a result of her marriage, Elizabeth Mure of Rowallan was styled as Countess of Atholl on 22 November 1347. From 22 November 1347, her married name became Stewart.
- Children of Elizabeth Mure of Rowallan and Robert II Stewart, King of Scotland
- 1.Katherine Stewart b. bt 1336 - 1355
- 2.Robert III Stewart, King of Scotland+4 b. 1337, d. 4 Apr 1406
- 3.Walter Stewart, Earl of Fife4 b. bt 1338 - 1347, d. bt 14 Aug 1362 - 10 Jan 1363
- 4.Robert Stewart, 1st Duke of Albany+5 b. c 1340, d. 3 Sep 1420
- 5.Alexander Stewart, 1st Earl of Buchan+6 b. c 1343, d. 24 Jul 1394
- 6.Margaret Stewart+7 b. bt 1348 - 1350
- 7.Marjorie Stewart+7 b. bt 1348 - 1355, d. a 6 May 1417
- 8.Elizabeth Stewart+7 b. bt 1349 - 1355
- 9.Isabella Stewart7 b. bt 1350 - 1355, d. c 1410
- 10.Lady Jean Stewart+7 b. bt 1351 - 1355, d. a 1404
- 1.[S11] Alison Weir, Britain's Royal Families: The Complete Genealogy (London, U.K.: The Bodley Head, 1999), page 215. Hereinafter cited as Britain's Royal Families.
- 2.[S6] G.E. Cokayne; with Vicary Gibbs, H.A. Doubleday, Geoffrey H. White, Duncan Warrand and Lord Howard de Walden, editors, The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain and the United Kingdom, Extant, Extinct or Dormant, new ed., 13 volumes in 14 (1910-1959; reprint in 6 volumes, Gloucester, U.K.: Alan Sutton Publishing, 2000), volume I, page 310. Hereinafter cited as The Complete Peerage.
- 3.[S16] Jirí Louda and Michael MacLagan, Lines of Succession: Heraldry of the Royal Families of Europe, 2nd edition (London, U.K.: Little, Brown and Company, 1999), table 13. Hereinafter cited as Lines of Succession.
- 4.[S323] Sir James Balfour Paul, The Scots Peerage: founded on Wood's edition of Sir Robert Douglas's The Peerage of Scotland (Edinburgh, Scotland: David Douglas, 1904), volume I, page 15. Hereinafter cited as The Scots Peerage.
- 5.[S6] Cokayne, and others, The Complete Peerage, volume I, page 77.
- 6.[S6] Cokayne, and others, The Complete Peerage, volume II, page 376.
- 7.[S323] Sir James Balfour Paul, The Scots Peerage, volume I, page 16.
- From: http://www.thepeerage.com/p10210.htm#i102098
GENEALOGY: Royal Ancestors of Magna Charta Barons; Page 225; G929.72;
C6943ra; Denver Public Library; Genealogy
Source:: The Descent Of General Robert Edward Lee From Robert The Bruce, Of Scotland. By Professor Wm. Winston Fontaine, of Louisville. (From the Southern Historical Society Papers)
-------------------- Elizabeth Mure had 12 children. Their names are Catherine Stuart, Robert Stuart, Walter Stuart (Earl of Fife), Alexander Stuart, David Stuart (Earl of Strathearn & Caithness), Elizabeth Stuart, Isabel Stuart, Jean Stuart, John III Stuart, Margaret Stuart, Marjorie Stuart, and Robert Stuart (King of Scotland) III.
-------------------- Elizabeth Mure ( Muir) was born , it is said, at Rowallan Castle, the daughter of Adam Murr and Joan Cunningham. She became the mistress of Stewart. He then married her in 1336.The marriage was however, criticised as uncanonical, so he remarried her in 1349. This following a Papal Dispensation dated at Avignon ,November 22, 1347. She died before her husband inherited the crown . He then remarried ,another papal dispensation dated May 2, 1355.
Children of Robert Stewart and Elizabeth Muir (Queen of Scotland) were as follows:
Robert 3rd born John Stewart earl of Catick Walter Stewart , Lord of Fife Robert Stewart , Duke of Albany Andrew Stewart, earl of Buchan Margaret Stewart who married John of Islay, Lord of Isles Marjorie Stewart who maried 1st John Dunbar, 5th Earl of Moray. Married 2nd. Alexander Keith Johanna Stewart married 1st. Sir John Keith married 2nd. Sir John Lyon and 3rd. in 1384 Sir James Sandlilands Isabella Stewart married 1st. James Douglas 2nd Earl of Douglas married 2nd. David Edmonstone Katherine Stewart married Sir Robert Logan of Grunar and Restalrig, Lord High Admiral od Scotland Elizabeth Stewart married Sir Thomas Hay, Lord High Constable of Scotland.
Ref. Dunbar, Sir Archibald H., Bt, Scottish Kings. Mc Andrew, Bruce A. Scottish historic Heraldrey, Boydell Press, 2006
-------------------- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_Mure -------------------- Rowallan Castle is an ancient castle located near Kilmaurs, at NS 4347 4242, about 5 kilometres (3.1 mi) north of Kilmarnock, East Ayrshire, Scotland.
The castle stands on the banks of the Carmel Water, which may at one time have run much closer to the low eminence upon which the original castle stood, justifying the old name Craig of Rowallan.
Elizabeth Mure (died before May 1355) was mistress and then wife of Robert, High Steward of Scotland, and Guardian of Scotland (1338–1341 and from October 1346), who later became King Robert II of Scotland. She may have been born at Rowallan.
- Source Wiki
Elizabeth Mure of Rowallan's Timeline
Kilmarnock, Ayrshire, Scotland
overlooking-Village of Dundonald, Ayrshire, Scotland
August 4, 1337
Dundonald Castle, Dundonald, Ayrshire, Scotland
Dundonald, Ayrshire, Scotland
Dundonald, Ayrshire, Scotland
Dundonald, Ayrshire, Scotland
Scotland, (Present UK)