Elizabeth Radcliffe (Stafford), Countess of Sussex
|Birthplace:||Brecknock Castle, Brecon, Breconshire, Wales|
|Death:||Died in Boreham, Essex, England|
|Place of Burial:||Plot: tomb inside church, St Andrew's Church, Boreham, Essex England|
Daughter of Henry Stafford, 2nd Duke of Buckingham and Katherine Wydeville, Duchess of Buckingham
|Managed by:||Ofir Friedman|
Matching family tree profiles for Elizabeth Radcliffe, Countess of Sussex
About Elizabeth Radcliffe, Countess of Sussex
Countess of Sussex, married to Robert Radclyffe, 1st Earl of Sussex. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_Stafford,_Countess_of_Sussex
- 'Elizabeth Stafford1,2,3
- 'F, d. between 1 January 1530 and 11 May 1532
- Father Sir Henry Stafford, 2nd Duke Buckingham, 7th Earl of Stafford, 8th Lord Stafford2,3 b. 4 Sep 1455, d. 2 Nov 1483
- Mother Katherine Woodville1,2,3 b. c 1458, d. 18 May 1497
- ' Elizabeth Stafford married Sir Robert Radcliffe, 1st Earl Sussex, Viscount FitzWalter, 7th Lord FitzWalter, Great Chamberlain of England, son of Sir John Radcliffe, 6th Lord FitzWalter, Joint High Steward of England and Margaret Whetehill, circa 23 July 1505; They had 3 sons (Sir Henry, 2nd Earl of Sussex; Sir Humphrey; & George, Esq.).1,4,2 Elizabeth Stafford died between 1 January 1530 and 11 May 1532; Buried finally at Boreham, Essex, England.
- 'Family Sir Robert Radcliffe, 1st Earl Sussex, Viscount FitzWalter, 7th Lord FitzWalter, Great Chamberlain of England b. c 1483, d. 27 Nov 1542
- ◦Sir Henry Radcliffe, 2nd Earl of Sussex, Viscount FitzWalter5 b. c 1507, d. 17 Feb 1557
- 1.[S11568] The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain, and the United Kingdom, by George Edward Cokayne, Vol. XII/1, p. 519.
- 2.[S5] Douglas Richardson, Plantagenet Ancestry, p. 675.
- 3.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. I, p. 374.
- 4.[S5] Douglas Richardson, Plantagenet Ancestry, p. 174-175.
- 5.[S11568] The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain, and the United Kingdom, by George Edward Cokayne, Vol. XII/1, p. 520.
'Lady Elizabeth Stafford 
- 'F, #107557, d. 1532
- Last Edited=9 Sep 2010
- Consanguinity Index=0.01%
Lady Elizabeth Stafford married Robert Radcliffe, 1st Earl of Sussex, son of John Radcliffe, 9th Lord FitzWalter and Margaret (?). She married Robert Radcliffe, 1st Earl of Sussex, son of John Radcliffe, 9th Lord FitzWalter and Margaret (?), after 23 July 1505.
She died in 1532.
She was the daughter of Henry Stafford, 2nd Duke of Buckingham and Katherine Woodville. From after 23 July 1505, her married name became Radcliffe. As a result of her marriage, Lady Elizabeth Stafford was styled as Countess of Sussex on 8 December 1529.
She and Henry VIII Tudor, King of England were associated.
Children of Lady Elizabeth Stafford and Robert Radcliffe, 1st Earl of Sussex
- 1.Sir Humphrey Radcliffe+3 d. 1566
- 2.Henry Radcliffe, 2nd Earl of Sussex+4 b. c 1506, d. 17 Feb 1556/57
- 1.[S11] Alison Weir, Britain's Royal Family: A Complete Genealogy (London, U.K.: The Bodley Head, 1999), page 130. Hereinafter cited as Britain's Royal Family.
- 2.[S37] Charles Mosley, editor, Burke's Peerage, Baronetage & Knightage, 107th edition, 3 volumes (Wilmington, Delaware, U.S.A.: Burke's Peerage (Genealogical Books) Ltd, 2003), volume 1, page 1442. Hereinafter cited as Burke's Peerage and Baronetage, 107th edition.
- 3.[S37] Charles Mosley, Burke's Peerage and Baronetage, 107th edition.
- 4.[S6] G.E. Cokayne; with Vicary Gibbs, H.A. Doubleday, Geoffrey H. White, Duncan Warrand and Lord Howard de Walden, editors, The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain and the United Kingdom, Extant, Extinct or Dormant, new ed., 13 volumes in 14 (1910-1959; reprint in 6 volumes, Gloucester, U.K.: Alan Sutton Publishing, 2000), volume XII/1, page 520. Hereinafter cited as The Complete Peerage.
- 'Elizabeth STAFFORD (C. Sussex)
- 'Died: BEF 11 May 1532
- 'Buried: 11 May 1532, Boreham, Essex, England
- 'Notes: was at court as one of Elizabeth of York's ladies by 1494. On 23 Jul 1505 she married Robert Radcliffe, Lord Fitzwalter, who was created Earl of Sussex in 1529. It was as Lady Fitzwalter, however, that she was at the court of Henry VIII. She did not stay long. In May of 1510, after she informed her brother the Duke of Buckingham that their younger and newly married sister, Anne, was being courted by the King, the King himself forced Queen Catalina to dismiss Elizabeth Fitzwalter from her service. She was, however, in attendance at the Field of Cloth of Gold in 1520.
- Father: Henry STAFFORD (2° D. Buckingham)
- Mother: Catherine WOODVILLE (D. Buckingham/D. Bedford)
- 'Married: Robert RADCLIFFE (1° E. Sussex) 23 Jul 1505
- 1. Henry RADCLIFFE (2° E. Sussex)
- 2. George RADCLIFFE
- 3. Humphrey RADCLIFFE
- 4. Thomas RADCLIFFE
- http://www.tudorplace.com.ar/STAFFORD1.htm#Elizabeth STAFFORD (C. Sussex)
Elizabeth Radcliffe, Countess of Sussex's Timeline
Brecon, Breconshire, Wales
July 23, 1505
Edgworth, Lancashire, England
Of, Knockaloe-Moor, Isle Of Man, England
May 11, 1532
Boreham, Essex, England
Plot: tomb inside church, St Andrew's Church, Boreham, Essex England