Elizabeth Wriothesley (Leigh)
|Birthplace:||Little Shelford, Cambridgeshire, England|
Daughter of Francis (Sir) Leigh, 1st Earl of Chichester and Audrey Leigh
|Managed by:||Ric Dickinson|
About Elizabeth Wriothesley
- 'Lady Elizabeth Leigh1
- F, #15870
- Last Edited=1 May 2011
- ' Lady Elizabeth Leigh was the daughter of Francis Leigh, 1st Earl of Chichester and Hon. Audrey Boteler.2 She married Thomas Wriothesley, 4th Earl of Southampton, son of Henry Wriothesley, 3rd Earl of Southampton and Elizabeth Vernon, circa 24 April 1642.2
- ' Her married name became Wriothesley.
- 'Child of Lady Elizabeth Leigh and Thomas Wriothesley, 4th Earl of Southampton
- 1.Lady Elizabeth Wriothesley+ b. 1646, d. 19 Sep 1690
- 1.[S6] G.E. Cokayne; with Vicary Gibbs, H.A. Doubleday, Geoffrey H. White, Duncan Warrand and Lord Howard de Walden, editors, The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain and the United Kingdom, Extant, Extinct or Dormant, new ed., 13 volumes in 14 (1910-1959; reprint in 6 volumes, Gloucester, U.K.: Alan Sutton Publishing, 2000), volume II, page 81. Hereinafter cited as The Complete Peerage.
- 2.[S6] Cokayne, and others, The Complete Peerage, volume III, page 194.
- 'A general and heraldic dictionary of the peerages of England, Ireland, and ... By John Burke
- A general and heraldic dictionary of the peerages of England, Ireland, and ... By John Burke
- Pg. 311
- LEIGH-BARON DUNSMORE, EARL OF CHICHESTER.
- SIR FRANCIS LEIGH, Baronet, of Newnham Regis, in Warwickshire, was elevated to the peerage on the 31st July, 1628, in the dignity of BARON DUNSMORE, of Dunsmore, in the county of Warwick. His lordship espoused Audrey, daughter and co-heir of John, Lord Butler, of Bramfield, (by Elizabeth, sister of George Villiers, Duke of Buckingham,) and widow of Sir Francis Anderson, Knt., by whom he had issue,
- ' Elizabeth, m. to Thomas Wriothesley, Earl of Southampton (his lorship's second wife).
- Mary, m. to George Villiers, Viscount Grandison, in the peerage of Ireland.
- Lord Dunsmore having distinguished himself by his zeal in the royal cause during the civil wars, was advanced, on the 3rd July, 1644, to the Earldom of Chichester, with remainder to the 'Earl of Southampton, and his issue male by his lordship's abovementioned daughter Elizabeth'. He d. 21st December, 1653, when the BARONY OF DUNSMORE
- Pg. 312
- became EXTINCT, and the Earldom of Chichester devolved according to the limitation (see Wriothesley, Earl of Southampton).
- Pg. 583
- HENRY WRIOTHESLEY, third Earl of Southampton. . . . m. Elizabeth, daughter of John Vernon, Esq., of Hodnet, in the county of Derby, and dying in 1624, left issue,
- The earl was s. by his son,
- ' THOMAS WRIOTHESLEY, fourth Earl of Southampton. . . . His lordship m. first, Rachel, daughter of Daniel de Massey, Baron de Rouvigny, in France, by whom he had two sons, who both died young, and three daughters, . . .
- 'He wedded, secondly, Frances, daughter of Francis Leigh, Baron Dunsmore, which nobleman was created 3rd June, 1644, EARL OF CHICHESTER, with remainder, failing his own male issue, to his son-in-law, the Earl of Southampton and the heirs male of his body by his lordship's daughter, the said Frances Leigh. He died in 1653, and the honours of Lord Southampton, were then augmented by the Earldom of Chichester. By this lady, his lordship had four daughters,
- Audrey, who d. unmarried.
- Penelope, d. young.
- Elizabeth, m. first Joceline, Earl of Northumberland, and secondly, to Ralph, Lord Montagu, of Boughton.
- Penelope, d. in infancy.
- The earl espoused, thirdly Frances, daughter of William, Duke of Somerset, and widow of Richard, Viscount Molineux, but had no issue. He died at Southampton House, "near Holburne, in the suburbs of London," 16th May, 1667, when all his HONOURS, including the Earldom of Chichester, became EXTINCT.
- 'Dictionary of national biography, Volume 32 edited by Sir Leslie Stephen, Sir Sidney Lee
- Dictionary of national biography, Volume 32 edited by Sir Leslie Stephen, Sir Sidney Lee
- Pg. 434
- LEIGH, FRANCIS, first EARL OF CHICHESTER (d. 1653), son of Sir Francis Leigh, by Mary, daughter of Thomas Egerton, visxount Brackley [q. v.], and great-grandson of Sir Thomas Leigh or Lee [q. v.] of Stoneleigh, was born at his father's seat at Newnham Regis, Warwickshire, before 1600. . . . created a baronet by James I on 24 Dec 1618, . . . . whose 'greatest reputation was that the 'Earl of Southampton married his daughter, who was a beautiful and worthy lady' '
- Pg. 435
- He died on 21 Dec. 1653, and was buried in the chancel of Newnham Church. He married, first, Susan, daughter of Richard Norman, esq., by whom he had no issue, and secondly, Audrey, daughter and coheir of John, baron Butler of Bramfield; she died 16 Sept. 1652, leaving two daughters, 'Elizabeth, second wife of Thomas Wriothesley, fourth earl of Southampton [q. v.]', and Mary, wife of George Villiers, fourth viscount Grandison, whose granddaughter married Robert Pitt . . .
- 'A genealogical history of the dormant, abeyant, forfeited, and extinct .. By Sir Bernard Burke
- A genealogical history of the dormant, abeyant, forfeited, and extinct .. By Sir Bernard Burke
- Pg. 319
- 'Thomas WRIOTHESLEY (4º E. Southampton)
- Born: 10 Mar 1607, Little Shelford, Cambridgeshire, England
- Christened: 2 Apr 1607, Little Shelford, Cambridgeshire, England
- Acceded: 1624
- Died: 16 May 1667, Southampton House, Bloomsbury, Middlesex, England
- Buried: 18 Jun 1667, Titchfield, Hampshire, England
- Notes: The Complete Peerage vol.XIIpI,p.131-134.
- Father: Henry WRIOTHESLEY (3° E. Southampton)
- Mother: Elizabeth VERNON (C. Southampton)
- Married 1: Rachel De MASSUE 18 Aug 1634, Charenton, France
- 1. Elizabeth WRIOTHESLEY (C. Gainsborough) (m. Edward Noel, E. Gainsborough)
- 2. Rachel WRIOTHESLEY (B. Russell) (b. 1637 - d. 29 Sep 1723, Bloomsbury - bur. Chenies) (m. William Russell, B. Russell 31 Jul 1669 Titchfield, Hants)
- 3. Magdalene WRIOTHESLEY
- 4. Charles WRIOTHESLEY (b. 6 Jun 1636 - d. BEF 20 Nov 1635)
- 5. Henry WRIOTHESLEY (b. 31 Oct 1638, Southampton House, Bloomsbury, Middlesex, England - d. ABT 1643, Paris, Seine, France - bur. Charenton, France)
- 'Married 2: Elizabeth LEIGH (dau. of Francis Leigh, 1° E. Chichester, and Audrey Butler) 24 Apr 1642
- 6. Audrey WRIOTHESLEY
- 7. Penelope WRIOTHESLEY
- 8. Elizabeth WRIOTHESLEY
- 9. Penelope WRIOTHESLEY
- Married 3: Frances SEYMOUR (C. Southampton) 1659
- http://www.tudorplace.com.ar/WRIOTHESLEY.htm#Thomas WRIOTHESLEY (4º E. Southampton)
Countess of Southampton