Elizabeth Scrope (St. John)
|Birthplace:||Bletsoe, Bedfordshire, England|
|Death:||Died in Bletsoe, Bedfordshire, England|
Daughter of Sir Oliver St. John of Bletsoe and Margaret Beauchamp of Bletso, Lady Welles
|Occupation:||Baroness Scrope of Bolton|
|Managed by:||Ann Margrethe Nilsen|
About Elizabeth Scrope
- http://www.tudorplace.com.ar/STJOHN.htm#Elizabeth St. JOHN (B. Scrope of Bolton)
- 'Elizabeth St. JOHN (B. Scrope of Bolton)
- Born: ABT 1432, Bletsoe, Bedfordshire, England
- Died: BEF 3 Jul 1494
- Father: Oliver St. JOHN (Sir Knight)
- Mother: Margaret BEAUCHAMP (D. Somerset)
- 'Married 1: William La ZOUCHE (5º B. Zouche of Harryngworth) 2 Apr 1450
- 'Married 2: John SCROPE (5° B. Scrope of Bolton) BEF 10 Dec 1471
- 1. Mary SCROPE
- 2. Elizabeth SCROPE
- Margaret Beauchamp of Bletso
- First marriage
- She firstly married around 1425 to Sir Oliver St John, of Bletsoe, Bedfordshire, Spelsbury, Oxfordshire and Lydiard Tregoze, Wiltshire, son of John St John and Elizabeth Paullet, with whom she had two sons and four daughters, all of whom survived into adulthood.
- Sir John St John, of Bletsoe (1426 - 1488), married Alice Bradshaigh, daughter of Thomas Bradshaigh, of Haigh, Lancashire.
- Oliver St John, of Lydiard Tregoze (bef. 1437 - Fuenterrabía, Navarre, 10 April 1497), married Elizabeth Scrope (- 12 June 1503 - some sources say died 31 May 1503), widow of John Bigod and Henry Rochford, of Stoke Rochford, Lincolnshire, and daughter of Henry Scrope, 4th Baron Scrope of Bolton and Elizabeth le Scrope.
- Edith St John, married Sir Geoffrey Pole, of Wythurn, in Medmenham, Buckinghamshire; ob 4 Jan 1479; interred in Bisham Abbey.
- 'Elizabeth St John, Baroness Scrope of Bolton, married William la Zouche, 6th Baron Zouche, 7th Baron St Maur (c. 1432–1468).
- Mary St John, married Richard Frogenhall.
- Agnes St John, married David Malpas.
- Second marriage
- Following Sir Oliver's death in 1437, she remarried in 1439 to John Beaufort, 1st Duke of Somerset. By this marriage she had her most famous child and became a grandmother of a King.
- Lady Margaret Beaufort, Countess of Richmond and Derby, who married Edmund Tudor, 1st Earl of Richmond, and became the mother of Henry VII of England.
- Third marriage
- After Somerset's death, she married the Lancastrian Lionel de Welles, 6th Baron Welles on 14 April 1447 who later became Lord Lieutenant of Ireland; with Lionel she had a further two children.
- John Welles, 1st Viscount Welles, who married Cecily of York the daughter of Edward IV of England.
- Cecily de Welles, she married Sir Robert Willoughby of Parham (- 1465)
- 'Elizabeth St. John1
- F, b. circa 1432, d. before 3 July 1494
- Father Sir Oliver St. John, Sheriff of Glamorganshire1 b. c 1398, d. 1437
- Mother Margaret Beauchamp b. c 1410, d. c 3 Jun 1482
- ' Elizabeth St. John was born circa 1432 at of Lydiard Tregoze, Wiltshire, England. She married William IV la Zouche, Lord Zouche of Harringsworth, son of William la Zouche and Elizabeth Crosse, circa 2 April 1450. Elizabeth St. John married John Scrope, Baron Scrope of Bolton, son of Sir Henry Scrope, 4th Baron Scrope of Bolton and Elizabeth Scrope, before 10 December 1471. Elizabeth St. John died before 3 July 1494.
- Family 1 John Scrope, Baron Scrope of Bolton b. 22 Jul 1437, d. 17 Aug 1498
- ◦Mary le Scrope2,1 d. b 6 Feb 1499
- Family 2 William IV la Zouche, Lord Zouche of Harringsworth b. 1402, d. 25 Dec 1462
- 1.[S5] Douglas Richardson, Plantagenet Ancestry, p. 228.
- 2.[S11568] The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain, and the United Kingdom, by George Edward Cokayne, Vol. III, p. 404.
- 'Elizabeth St. John1
- F, #107343
- Last Edited=1 Jun 2008
- ' Elizabeth St. John was the daughter of Sir Oliver St. John and Margaret Beauchamp.1 She married William la Zouche, 5th Lord Zouche (of Haryngworth), son of William la Zouche, 4th Lord Zouche (of Haryngworth).1
- 1.[S11] Alison Weir, Britain's Royal Family: A Complete Genealogy (London, U.K.: The Bodley Head, 1999), page 103. Hereinafter cited as Britain's Royal Family.
- 'The Magna Charta sureties, 1215: the barons named in the Magna Charta, 1215 ... By Frederick Lewis Weis, William Ryland Beall
- Pg. 97
- 8. William la Zouche, Lord Zouche of Haryngworth, b. c. 1342, d. 13 May 1396, M.P. 1382/3; m. (1) Agnes, prob. dau. of Sir Henry Green, d. betw. 2 Dec. 1391 and 28 Apr. 1393; m. (2) Elizabeth, dau. of Edward, 1st Lord Despenser. She d. 10 or 11 Apr. 1408.
- 9. William la Zouche, K. G., Lord Zouche of Haryngworth (by 1st wife), b. c. 1373, d. 3 Nov. 1415, M.P., 1415; m. bef. 1402 Elizabeth, said to be dau. of Sir William Crosse.
- 10. 'William la Zouche, Lord Zouche of Haryngworth, b. c. 1401, M.P., 1425/6, d. 25 Dec. 1452; m. (1) 1424, Alice Seymour, Lady St. Maur and Lovel (99-10), seen 1430/1; m. (2) by 2 Apr. 1450 Elizabeth de St. John.
- 10A. William la Zouche, Lord Zouche, b. c. 1432, ae. 30+ at father's death, 15 Jan. 1467/8; M.P., 1455/6; m. (1) Katharine, dau. of Sir Rowland Lenthall, by Lucy, aunt and, in her issue, coh. of Henry Grey, 7th Lord Grey of Codnor, dau. of Richard, 4th Lord Grey; m. (2) Katharine Plumpton.
- 'Ancestral roots of certain American colonists who came to America before ... By Frederick Lewis Weis, Walter Lee Sheppard, David Faris
- Pg. 177
- 35. SIR WILLIAM LA ZOUCHE, K.G., of Haryngworth, Lord Zouche, b. ca. 1373 or 1374, M.P. 1396, K.G. 1415, d. 3 Nov. 1415; m. by 1402 Elizabeth, sd. to be dau. Sir William Crosse. (Ibid.)
- '36. WILLIAM LA ZOUCHE of Haryngworth, b. 1402, M.P. 1425/6, d. 25 Dec 1462; m. (1) 1424, ALICE ST. MAUR (or SEYMOUR) (213-34); m. (2) by 2 Apr. 1450 Elizabeth de St. John. (CP XI 363, XII (2), cit.).
- 36A. WILLIAM LA ZOUCHE, Lord Zouche, b. ca. 1432, ae. 30+ at father's death, MP 1455/6, d. 15 Jan 1467/8; m. (1) Katharine (dau. Sir Rowland Lenthall, by Lucy, dau. Richard, 4th Lord Grey, aunt and in her issue coh. Henry Grey, 7th Lord Grey of Codnor); m. (2) Katharine Plumton. (CP, cit.).