About Ellen Parsons (Firth)
From Fort McPherson Metis Scrip Claims
Fort McPherson (Teet'lit Zheh “At the head of the waters”) was originally the site of a Hudson’s Bay Company that was named for “Murdoch McPherson”. It is a town located in the Inuvik Region of the Northwest Territories on the east bank of the Peel River and is 121 km (75 mi) south of Inuvik on the Dempster Highway.
The Hudson Bay Company established a post at the current location in 1840 and eight years later the area was named after Murdoch McPherson, the chief trader for the company. Four years later a Loucheux Indian village moved to the area and Father Grollier set up an Anglican Mission in 1860. In 1903 the RCMP built a detachment post and regularly handled the patrols through the MacKenzie Mountains via the Peel River from Dawson City to Fort McPherson.
Parsons, Ellen - Concerning her Métis claim - Address, McPherson -
- Born, McPherson in 1891 -
- Father, John Firth (White man) -
- Mother, Margaret Stewart (Métis) -
- Married,in 1917 at McPherson to John Parsons -
- Claim no. 12