Mendel (Emanuel)'s Top Matches
About Mendel (Emanuel) Low Lehman (Lehmann)
LEHMAN, Emanuel, merchant, a native of the village of Rimpar, near Wurzburg, Germany, was born Feb. 15, 1827. His parents, who were of German-Hebrew descent, gave their son a sound training both at home and in the high school in Wurzburg and the lad then entered upon the practical work of life. At that period, many Germans had learned of the better opportunities presented by the new world and were exchanging homes in the fatherland for a residence in the Southern States. Following this movement, Mr. Lehman sailed for America in 1847 and joined his brother Henry, a merchant in Montgomery, Ala., since 1844, in the management of a general store. They were diligent and hard working men, and as they prospered drifted naturally into a factorage and cotton business. To enable a cotton planter to cultivate his crop, it is necessary for him to resort to some neighboring general merchant, who will advance to him a large amount of supplies and carry him along to the time when the crop can be harvested and sold. The intimate relations of the Lehman Bro's with the cotton planters resulted in the development of an extensive trade, both in supplies and in cotton. The staple they shipped to the north and to Europe.
In 1856, the Lehman Bro's found themselves compelled by a growing business to establish a house in New York city, and Emanuel Lehman was placed in charge of it. The Civil War caused a serious interruption in the operations of the New York house, but, in 1865, it was re-established by Emanuel Lehman, the younger brother, Mayer, remaining in Montgomery for a while in charge of the Southern business, which is yet conducted under the name of Lehman, Durr & Co. They also established a commission business in New Orleans in 1865 under the title of Lehman, Newgass & Co., now known as Lehman, Stern & Co. All three firms are now prominent in their respective cities and deal in cotton, sugar, coffee, etc. Emanuel Lehman, senior partner in the firm, has made his home in New York since 1856.
After the War, the brothers Lehman devoted themselves to a task which has enlisted the sympathy and active interest of every progressive and public-spirited man in the South, namely, a revival of the interests prostrated by the War and a development of the theretofore scarcely exploited natural resources of the region. In 1865, the State of Alabama being impoverished, the Lehman Bro's furnished $100,00 to defray the expenses of the first convention, held under the reconstruction act, and afterward acted as fiscal agents for the State, retaining this relation until Alabama came under the control of the Radicals, about 1871. By their investments, they promoted the reorganization of railroad companies, the improvement of real estate, the building of iron furnaces and other factories, and the opening of coal mines. They now have large interests in these properties and have aided largely in building several Southern railroads. They are also principal owners of two excellent and prosperous cotton mills, one operated by The Tallassee Falls Manufacturing Co., near Montgomery; the other, the Lane Mills in New Orleans.
Mr. Lehman is a director of The Mercantile National Bank, The Queens County Bank on Long Island, The Alabama Mineral Land Co., The Berry-Boice Cattle Co., The Metropolitan Ferry Co., and The Tenth & Twenty-third Streets Railroad Co., and The Third Avenue Railroad. He displays the marked philanthropy so characteristic of his race, and cordially supports the Hebrew charities of the city and serves as president of The Hebrew Orphan Asylum.
In May, 1859, he married Pauline, daughter of Louis Sondheim of New York. His wife died in 1871, leaving four children: Milton; Philip a partner in the firm; Harriet and Eveline. Mr Lehman is a member of the Southern Society and highly respected in business circles in this city.
Henry Hall, ed., America’s Successful Men of Affairs, an Encyclopedia of Contemporaneous Biography (New York: New York Printing Company, 1895) 391-392