About Emily Harriette Fane de Salis (Mayne)
Inherited Teffont Manor in 1859. In 1884–5 Emily and William Fane De Salis built a pair of almshouses of local stone in Gothic style and in 1885 leased them for 99 years to the parish. They gave an endowment of £450 stock in 1891 to maintain the houses and to provide weekly doles for the inmates. In 1906 the two occupants each received 2s. 6d. a week from the income of £15 15s. (fn. 284) The houses were part of the Teffont estate in 1984 and were leased as private dwellings.
Parishes: Teffont Evias', A History of the County of Wiltshire: Volume 13: South-west Wiltshire: Chalke and Dunworth hundreds (1987),