Matching family tree profiles for Francis Howard, 1st Earl of Effingham
About Francis Howard, 1st Earl of Effingham
- 'The official baronage of England: showing the succession ..., Volume 1 By James William Edmund Doyle
- Pg. 661
- FRANCIS HOWARD I., cousin of Charles III.: Baron Howard of Effingham. B. before 1654; succ. as 6th Baron Howard of Effingham, April 26, 1681; Governor & Captain-General of Virginia, Sept. 28, 1683; m. (1) Philadelphia, d. of Sir Thomas Pelham, Bart.; m. (2) Susan (Mrs. Herbert), d. of Sir Henry Felton, Bart.; d. March 30, 1696.
- THOMAS HOWARD I., son of Francis I. (I): Baron Howard of Effingham. B. about 1680; st. Hon. Thomas Howard, Esq., 1681-1696; succ. as 7th Baron Howared of Effingham, March 30, 1696; Guidon, 1st Troop of Horse Guards, Jan, 1706; Gentleman of the Bedchamber to Prince George of Denmark, May, 1706-Oct., 1708; m. (1) Mary Wentworth, grand-niece of Thomas, Earl of Strafford, Feb. 11, 1707; m. (2) Elizabeth, Dowager-Lady Napier, d. of JOhn Rotheram, Esq. of Much-Waltham, co. Essex; d. July 10, 1725.
- Pg. 662
- ' FRANCIS HOWARD II., brother of Thomas I.: Earl of Effingham, & Baron Howard of Effingham. B. after 1681; st. Hon. Francis Howard, Esq., -1725; Captain & Lieut-Colonel, 3rd Regt. of Foot Guards, July 26, 1722; succ. as 8th Baron Howard of Effingham, July 10, 1725; Lieutenant, & Lieut-Colonel, 1st Troop of Horse Grenadier Guards, July 15, 1731; cr. Earl of Effingham, Dec. 8, 1731; Deputy Earl Marshal of England, Dec. 13, 1731; Colonel, (20th) Regt. of Foot, July 22, 1732; Captain & Colonel, 2nd Troop of Horse Grenadier Guards, June 21, 1737; Colonel of Horse, June 21, 1737; Brigadier-General, July 2, 1739; Captain & Colonel, 4th Troop of Horse Guards, Dec. 22, 1740; m. (1) Digna, d. of Major-General O'Ferrel; m. (2) Anne, sister of Robert Bristow, Esq., July, 1728; d. Feb. 12, 1743.
- 'Brigadier-General Francis Howard, 1st Earl of Effingham (bapt. 20 October 1683 – 12 February 1743) was an English peer and army officer.
- 'Francis was the second son of Francis Howard, 5th Baron Howard of Effingham. On 26 July 1722, he was commissioned captain and lieutenant-colonel in the 3rd Regiment of Foot Guards. Howard succeeded as Baron Howard of Effingham in 1725, with the death of his older brother Thomas Howard.
- 'He continued to rise in the Army, and was made lieutenant and lieutenant-colonel in the 1st Troop of Horse Grenadier Guards on 15 July 1731. He was created Earl of Effingham on 8 December of that year, and made a Deputy Earl Marshal on 13 December. The next year, on 22 July 1732, he received the colonelcy of a regiment of foot, which he held until 1737. On 21 June 1737, he became Captain and Colonel of the 2nd Troop Horse Grenadier Guards, with the rank of a colonel of horse, and was promoted brigadier-general on 2 July 1739. On 22 December 1740, he became Captain and Colonel of the 4th Troop of Horse Guards. He died in February 1743, and was succeeded by his eldest son Thomas, then an officer in the Horse Grenadier Guards.
- Doyle, James William Edmund (1885). The Official Baronage of England. London: Longmans, Green. p. 662. Retrieved 2008-06-12.