About Frederick Treat Gleason
Obituary from the Nevada Mining Journal, Monday, March 12, 1934, page six:
"Frederick Treat Gleason, who died in a Tonopah hospital from injuries sustained in an automobile accident, typified the ideal cowman and rider of an earlier day. Born in Laingsburg, Michigan, he came west as a boy, engaged in the cattle business, and for 15 years was cattle foreman for the late Governor John Sparks and for the great Sparks-Harrell livestock organization, operating ranches of vast extent and ranging many thousands of cattle in Elko county and in Idaho.
Fred Gleason joined the early rush to Goldfield and there, in association with Bar Francis, established large feeding corrals, transacting an extensive business in horses and freighting teams, the only means of transportation on the desert in those times. He served as a deputy sheriff during the exciting I. W. W. troubles and after moving to Reno was for a time a deputy under Chief Kirkley. He leaves a widow [Gwendolyn Gleason (Carlson-Eckmann)] and two young boys, Billy [William Sage Gleason-Carlson] and Buddy [Fred Treat Gleason-Carlson], residing in Reno.
A superb horseman, his judgment universally respected among stock men, Fred Gleason had devoted sufficient time to mining to become widely known in mining circles and to make many close friends among the mining men of Nevada."
- 1880 United States Federal Census; Name: Fred Gleason; Age: 8; Birth Year: abt 1872; Birthplace: Michigan; Home in 1880: Laingsburg, Shiawassee, Michigan; Race: White; Gender: Male; Relation to Head of House: Son; Marital Status: Single; Father's Name: William H. Gleason; Father's Birthplace: Canada; Mother's name: Emma Gleason; Mother's Birthplace: Michigan; Occupation: At School.
- 1900 United States Federal Census; Name: Fred T Gleason; Age: 26; Birth Date: Aug 1873; Birthplace: Michigan; Home in 1900: Tecoma, Elko, Nevada; Race: White; Gender: Male; Relation to Head of House: Head; Marital Status: Single; Father's Birthplace: Canada Eng; Mother's Birthplace: Michigan.
- 1920 United States Federal Census; Name:Fred T Gleson; Age: 46; Birth Year: abt 1874; Birthplace: Michigan; Home in 1920: Beaver, Beaver, Utah; Race: White; Gender: Male; Relation to Head of House: Head; Marital Status: Married; Spouse's Name: Gwendolyn Gleson; Father's Birthplace: United States of America; Mother's Birthplace: United States of America; Home Owned: Rent; Able to Read: Yes; Able to Write: Yes; Household Members: Fred T Gleson, 46, Gwendolyn Gleson, 34, William S Gleson, 1 2/12.
- 1930 United States Federal Census; Name: Fred T Gleason; Gender: Male; Birth Year: abt 1873; Birthplace: Michigan; Race: White; Home in 1930: Reno, Washoe, Nevada; Marital Status: Married; Relation to Head of House: Lodger; Father's Birthplace: Michigan; Mother's Birthplace: Michigan.
- Utah Marriages, 1887-1966; groom's name: Fred Treat Gleason; groom's birth date: 1872; groom's age: 45; bride's name: Gwendolyn Carlson; bride's birth date: 1886; bride's age: 31; marriage date: 06 Oct 1917; marriage place: Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah; groom's marital status: Single; bride's marital status: Single; indexing project (batch) number: M74557-0; system origin: Utah-EASy; source film number: 429097; reference number: CN28155.
Frederick Gleason's Timeline
Laingsburg, Shiawassee, MI, USA
October 6, 1917
Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, UT, USA
April 15, 1920
Beaver, UT, USA
March 6, 1934
Reno, NV, USA
Tonopah, NV, USA