Gaetano's Top 9 Matches
view all 23
About Gaetano di Borbone-Due Sicilie
- en.wikipedia.org.... ;
- Prince Gaetan, Count of Girgenti, Prince Gaetan, Count of Girgenti
- Spouse Isabella, Princess of Asturias
- Full name: Gaetano Maria Federico
- House House of Bourbon-Two Sicilies
- Father Ferdinand II of the Two Sicilies
- Mother Maria Theresa of Austria
- Born 12 January 1846, Naples, Two Sicilies
- Died 26 November 1871 (aged 25), Lucerne, Switzerland
- Burial El Escorial, Madrid, Spain
- Religion Roman Catholic
- Prince Gaetano Maria Federico of Bourbon-Two Sicilies, Count of Girgenti (Full Italian name: Gaetano Maria Federico, Principe di Borbone delle Due Sicilie, Conte di Girgenti) (12 January 1846, Naples, Two Sicilies – 26 November 1871, Lucerne, Switzerland) was the seventh child of Ferdinand II of the Two Sicilies and his wife Maria Theresa of Austria. Gaetan was a member of the House of Bourbon-Two Sicilies and consort to Isabella, Princess of Asturias, twice the recognized heir presumptive to the throne of Spain. Through this union, Gaetan was created an Infante of Spain.
Marriage and later life
- Gaetan married Isabella, Princess of Asturias, eldest surviving child of Francis, Duke of Cádiz and his wife Isabella II of Spain, on 13 May 1868 in Madrid. Gaetan was a first cousin to both of Isabella's parents. Their union was intended to end a feud between the Neapolitan Bourbons and the Spanish Bourbons following Spain's recognition of the Kingdom of Italy unified under the House of Savoy. The ceremony took place shortly before Spain's Glorious Revolution which brought an end to Isabella II's reign.
- Gaetan and Isabella's marriage proved unhappy. For two years, Gaetan traveled throughout Europe visiting relatives in major cities including Vienna. A troubled and depressed man, Gaetan suffered from weak health and epilepsy. He had unsuccessfully attempted suicide at least once before shooting himself in the head in his hotel room in Lucerne, Switzerland. Isabella returned to Spain in 1874 and did not remarry. Their brief union produced no issue.
Gaetano di Borbone, principe delle Due Sicilie's Timeline
January 12, 1846
Napoli, Campania, Italia
May 13, 1868
November 26, 1871
El Escorial, Comunidad de Madrid, España