George William Balfour
|Birthplace:||Manse of Sorn, Ayrshire, Scotland|
|Death:||Died in Edinburgh, Scotland|
Son of Lewis Balfour, Minister of Sorn and Henrietta Scott Balfour
|Managed by:||Alisdair James Smyth|
About George William Balfour
Balfour, George William. 02/06/1823-09/08/1903. Ref: 95. Male.
- Place of Birth: Manse of Sorn, Ayrshire.
- Place of Death: Colinton, Edinburgh.
- Profession: Physician Cardiologist.
- Appointments Held: General Practitioner in Midlothian 1846-57; Physician 1866, Royal Hospital for Sick Children; Physician 1867-82, Consulting Physician 1882-99, Edinburgh Royal Infirmary.
- Undergraduate Studies: MD (St Andrews 1845).
- Postgraduate Studies: LL.D (Edinburgh 1884, St Andrews 1896).
- Marital Status: Married 1st (1848) Agnes Thomson d1851, 2nd (1854) Margaret Bethune Craig d1879, 3rd (1881) Henrietta Usher.
- Mother: Henrietta Scott Smith.
- Father: Rev Lewis Balfour, DD. Minister of Sorn, Ayrshire later of Colinton, Edinburgh.
- Other Family: Brother-in-law of Thomas Stevenson FRSE 1818-87.
- References: DNB, 2nd Supplement, 1, 1912, 88-9; BMJ. 1903, p439.
- Memberships: FRCPE (1861, President 1882-4).
- Date of Election: 06/01/1879.
- Proposers: Sir Andrew Douglas Maclagan, Thomas Stevenson, Alexander Crum Brown, Sir William Turner (Billet 16/12/1878).
- Fellow Type: OF.
SOURCE: Waterston, Charles D; Macmillan Shearer, A (July 2006). Biographical index of former fellows of the Royal Society of Edinburgh, 1783-2002: Biographical Index. I. Edinburgh: The Royal Society of Edinburgh. ISBN 978-0-902198-84-5. page 50