George's Top 9 Matches
view all 18
About George Browne
- 'Hon. Sir George Browne1
- M, #184806
- Last Edited=23 Feb 2006
- ' Hon. Sir George Browne is the son of Anthony Browne, 1st Viscount Montagu.1
- ' He lived at Shefford, Berkshire, England.1 He lived at Wickham, Kent, England.1
- 'Child of Hon. Sir George Browne
- 1.George Browne+1 d. c Feb 1683/84
- 1.[S15] George Edward Cokayne, editor, The Complete Baronetage, 5 volumes (no date (c. 1900); reprint, Gloucester, U.K.: Alan Sutton Publishing, 1983), volume IV, page 14. Hereinafter cited as The Complete Baronetage.
- From: http://www.thepeerage.com/p2378.htm#i23779
- 'George BROWNE
- 'Notes: Ancestor of the Brownes of Wickham in Kent Barts. George Browne, son of the staunchly Catholic first Lord Montague, married Eleanor, daughter of Anthony Bridges of Great Shefford (8 miles NW of Newbury) in 1583. On her marriage her father conveyed to her Great Shefford Manor Farm. It was there that Anthony Bridges sheltered Fr George Snape from about 1584 until 1591. Fr Snape was captured at the farm and abandoned Catholicism, thereby obtaining a pardon. The farm still stands. The Brownes owned Maidencourt Farm, which is less than a mile up the Lambourn Valley from Great Shefford.
- Father: Anthony BROWNE (1º V. Montague)
- Mother: Magdalen DACRE (V. Montague)
- 'Married 1: Eleanor BRYDGES 1583
- 1. Jane BROWNE
- 2. Elizabeth BROWNE
- 3. Frances BROWNE
- 'Married 2: Mary TYRWHITT
- 4. George BROWNE
- 5. Mary BROWNE
- From: http://www.tudorplace.com.ar/BROWNE1.htm#George BROWNE1
- Sir Anthony Browne, 1st Viscount Montagu, Sheriff of Surrey & Sussex1,2,3,4,5
- M, #94696, b. circa 1528, d. 19 October 1592
- Father Sir Anthony Browne, Master of the Horse, Ambassador to France1,6,7 b. 29 Jun 1500, d. 6 May 1548
- Mother Alice Gage1,6,7 b. c 1506, d. 31 Mar 1540
- Sir Anthony Browne, 1st Viscount Montagu, Sheriff of Surrey & Sussex was born circa 1528 at of Battle Abbey & Cowdray Park, Sussex, England.1 He married Jane Radcliffe, daughter of Sir Robert Radcliffe, 1st Earl Sussex, Viscount FitzWalter, 7th Lord FitzWalter, Great Chamberlain of England and Margaret Stanley, circa 1549; They had 1 son (Anthony) and 1 daughter (Mary, wife of Henry Wriothesley, Earl of Southampton).2,3,4 Sir Anthony Browne, 1st Viscount Montagu, Sheriff of Surrey & Sussex married Magdalen Dacre, daughter of William Dacre, 4th Lord Dacre of the North and Elizabeth Talbot, before 10 December 1558; They had 3 sons ('Sir George'; Thomas; & Henry) and 3 daughters (Elizabeth, wife of Sir Robert, 1st Lord Dormer; Mabel, wife of Sir Henry Capell; & Jane, wife of Sir Francis Lacon).3,4 Sir Anthony Browne, 1st Viscount Montagu, Sheriff of Surrey & Sussex left a will on 19 July 1592.1 He died on 19 October 1592 at Horsley Manor, West Horsley, Surrey, England.1,3,4 He was buried on 6 December 1592 at Midhurst, Sussex, England; Remains were later removed to Easebourne, Sussex.1 His estate was probated on 14 March 1593.3,4 ....
- From: http://our-royal-titled-noble-and-commoner-ancestors.com/p3152.htm#i94696
- Anthony Browne married firstly, Jane Radcliffe, daughter of Robert Radcliffe, 1st Earl of Sussex, by whom he had a son and a daughter: ....
- Anthony Browne (22 July 1552 – 29 June 1592), who married Mary Dormer, the daughter of Sir William Dormer (d.1575) by his second wife, Dorothy Catesby, the daughter of Anthony Catesby, esquire. Anthony Browne predeceased his father by four months, leaving a son, Anthony, who succeeded as 2nd Viscount Montague, as well as another son, John, and three daughters, Dorothy, who married Edmund Lee, esquire, Jane, who married Sir Francis Englefield (c.1561 – 26 October 1631), 1st Baronet Englefield, and Katherine, who married a husband surnamed Throckmorton. Anthony Browne's widow, Mary Dormer, married secondly, Sir Edmund Uvedale (d. 6 April 1606), and thirdly, Sir Thomas Gerard (d. 16 February 1621), son and heir of Sir Thomas Gerard by Elizabeth, daughter and co-heiress of Sir John Port. In her will dated 20 July 1637, Mary Dormer requested that she be buried at Midhurst, Sussex, near her first husband, Anthony Browne.
- Mary Browne, who married firstly, Henry Wriothesley, 2nd Earl of Southampton, by whom she had a son, Henry Wriothesley, 3rd Earl of Southampton, and a daughter, Mary, who married Thomas Arundell, 1st Baron Arundell of Wardour. She married secondly, Sir Thomas Heneage, and thirdly, William Hervey, 1st Baron Hervey, but had no issue by her second and third marriages.
- After Jane's death in childbirth on 22 July 1552 after giving birth to twins, Montague married, before 10 December 1558, Magdalen Dacre (d. 8 April 1608), daughter of William Dacre, 4th Baron Dacre of Gilsland, by Elizabeth Talbot, daughter of George Talbot, 4th Earl of Shrewsbury, by whom he had three sons and three daughters:
- ' Sir George Browne (d. April 1615).
- Sir Henry Browne, who married firstly Anne Catesby, and secondly Elizabeth Hungate.
- Thomas Browne.
- Elizabeth Browne (d.1631), who married Robert Dormer, 1st Baron Dormer, the son of Sir William Dormer by his second wife, Dorothy Catesby (d.1613).
- Mabel Browne, who married Sir Henry Capel.
- Jane Browne, who married Sir Francis Lacon.
- From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Browne,_1st_Viscount_Montagu
George Browne's Timeline