|Nicknames:||"George Boteler", "George Butler", "George Buttelet", "John Boliter", "William"|
|Death:||Died in Sharnbrooke, Bedfordshire, England, United Kingdom|
|Managed by:||Carole (Erickson) Pomeroy, Vol. Curator|
About George Butler Butler (Boteler), I
- 'George Boteler (Butler), Gent.1,2
- 'M, d. 1551
- Father William III Boteler
- Mother Jane Backecott
- ' George Boteler (Butler), Gent. was born at of Tofte, Sharnbrook, Bedfordshire, England. He married Mary Throckmorton, daughter of Richard Throckmorton, Esq. and Jane Beaufoe, circa 1541.3,2 George Boteler (Butler), Gent. died in 1551.
- 'Family Mary Throckmorton b. c 1521
- ◦John Butler, Esq.+3,2 b. c 1542
- 1.[S4060] Unknown author, Burke's Peerage, 1938, p. 2417.
- 2.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. I, p. 219.
- 3.[S5] Douglas Richardson, Plantagenet Ancestry, p. 115.
- 'George BUTLER of Starnbrooke
- 'Born: ABT 1498, Shambrooke, Bedfordshire, England
- 'Died: 1551, Shambrooke, Bedfordshire, England
- 'Notes: bought the manor of Starnbrooke and Teston House from George Grey and died there in 1551.
- Father: William BUTLER
- Mother: Jane De BACKECOTT
- 'Married: Mary THROCKMORTON
- 1. John BUTLER of Starnbrooke
- 2. Peter BUTLER
- 3. Raphaell BUTLER
- 4. Catherine BUTLER
- 5. Margaret BUTLER (d. 1566)
- http://www.tudorplace.com.ar/BUTLER4.htm#George BUTLER of Starnbrooke1
- Butler of Droitwich: 1300-1700 By Jon M. Stallard, pg 58
- "William and Jane had three known children.
- 1) John Boteler, the son and heir. John married Catherine Blount of Sodington, daughter of Peter Blount and Catherine Cornwell."
- 2) Philippa or Phyllis Boteler, married William Newport.
- '3) George Boteler, married Mary Throckmorton..."
- William married Jane, daughter and heir of Backecott of (. ': Worcester, gent., by whom he had 'George Buttelet, who removed his seat to Sharnbrooke in the Co. of Bedford. He left issue by Mary, his wife, daughter of Richard Throckmorton of Highampark in Co. of Northampton, three sons, John, his Heir, Peter, and Raphael and two daughters; Catherine, married to Gilbert Martyn of Barford in Bedford, gent., and Margaret who died unmarried in 1566 (see also Vis. of Bedford Harl 19). (26 W (1) p. 123) (Burkes Peerage 1938, p.24 i7).
- 'As stated above, George Butler married Mary Throckmorten, daughter of Richard Throckmorten of Higham Ferrers, Northampton. Richard was the second son of Sir Robert Throckmorton, K. B., one of the Private Council of Henry VII, who died while on a pilgrimage to the Holy Land. His first son and heir was Sir George Throckmorton, who had a son Clement.
- Clement Throckmorton, in 1553 was granted the custody of his first cousin, John Butler of Sharnbrook, by the following order: "Grant to Clement Throgmerton, esq., of the custody of the manor of Templehill in Sharnbrook, Beds., with the issues to the yearly value of 14 £. 7s, 3^d in the Kings hands by the minority of John Butler, son and heir of 'George Butler, decd., who held of the King in chief, also of the custody and marriage of the heir" (P. R. Ed. VI, 1553, Vol. 5, p. 1).
- Richard Throckmorton, grandfather of the above John Butler, was Seneschal of the Duchy of Lancaster 10 Henry VIII. He married Joan, daughter of Humphrey Beaufo, of Bereford, Warwick. Their second son was Gabriel Throckmorton, ancestor of the Virginia family of Throckmorton, and their second daughter was 'Mary Throckmorton, who married George Butler of Sharnbrook. (Burke Peerage 1949, p. 1986).
George Butler's Timeline
Sharnbrook, Bedfordshire, England
Sharnbrooke, Bedfordshire, England, United Kingdom