About George Rosenshine
- Name: Mr George Rosenshine (George Thorne)
- Born: 1866
- Age: 46 years
- Last Residence: in New York City New York United States
- Occupation: Merchant
- 1st Class passenger
- First Embarked: Cherbourg on Wednesday 10th April 1912
- Ticket No. 17585 , £79 4d
- Died in the sinking.
- Body recovered by: Mackay-Bennett (No. 16)
- Buried: Bayside Cemetery Brooklyn New York United States
Mr George Rosenshine was born in 1866. He came from New York City worked for the family firm of Rosenshine Bros. The company was involved in the import business, including ostrich feathers.
He boarded the Titanic at Cherbourg under the assumed name of George Thorne because his travelling companion was his mistress Maybelle Thorne. The couple were returning from a business trip and holiday. They held first class ticket No. PC 17585 (£79 4s).
Maybelle was saved in Collapsible D, but George perished, his body was later recovered by the MacKay Bennett.
NO. 16. - MALE. - ESTIMATED AGE, 50.
CLOTHING - Dark grey overcoat; black suit; black gloves; underclothing; marked " G. R".
EFFECTS - Gold watch; memo book; bunch of keys; letter of credit; Guaranty Trust Company, New York, No. 9899; notes in pocket book; $430; U. S. A. Bond in memo book; affidavit of personal prop. For Mrs G. M. Thorne, N. Y.; letter of indication for above.
PROBABLY FIRST CLASS
ADDRESS IN POCKET BOOK
GEO. ROSENSHINE., 57 & 59 East Eleventh St., N. Y.
The body was claimed by his brother and forwarded to New York. He was buried at the Bayside Cemetery, Brooklyn (?Queens, Long Island), New York. The cemetery and the Rosenshine lot has fallen into serious disrepair owing, because of its geographic location, to considerable crime.
Travelling Companions (on same ticket)
- Miss Gertrude Maybelle Thorne
References and Sources
- Contract Ticket List, White Star Line 1912 (National Archives, New York; NRAN-21-SDNYCIVCAS-55)
- Record of Bodies and Effects: Passengers and Crew, S.S. Titanic (Public Archives of Nova Scotia)
- Phillip Gowan, USA
- Michael A. Findlay, USA