George's Top Matches
Peter James Mowbrayson
About George Edward John Mowbray Rous
Wikipedia Biographical Summary
"George Edward John Mowbray Rous, 3rd Earl of Stradbroke KCMG CB CVO CBE VD TD (19 November 1862 – 20 December 1947) was a British noble and the 15th Governor of Victoria, Australia.
He also served as Parliamentary Secretary to the Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries from 1928 until the defeat of the 1924-1929 Conservative Government.
Viscount Dunwich, as he then was, was commissioned Captain in the 1st Norfolk Artillery Volunteers in 1882. He was promoted Major in 1884, Lieutenant-Colonel in 1888, and Colonel in 1902. He retired from the Territorial Army Royal Artillery in 1930.
As ex. officio the Chief Scout of Victoria as Governor, Lord Stradbroke also sponsored the Victorian Scouting competition, the Stradbroke Cup. This event is still held every year and is immensely popular. He was a freemason. He was initiated to the craft in the Lodge of Prudence No. 388. After he became Worshipful Master of the Lodge, he was appointed Provincial Grand Master of Suffolk in 1902 holding the position for forty-five years. Two years after being appointed Governor of Victoria, he was elected Grand Master of the Grand Lodge of Victoria.
Lady Helena Rous, Countess of Stradbroke, DBE
Helena Violet Alice Fraser (died 14 April 1949), daughter of Lt.-Gen. James Keith Fraser, married Stradbroke on 23 July 1898. She was created a Dame Commander of the Order of the British Empire in 1927.
- Lady Pleasance Elizabeth Rous (born 11 May 1899 - died 1 September 1986)
- Lady Catherine Charlotte Rous (born 5 May 1900 - died 19 September 1983)
- Lady Betty Helena Joanna Rous (24 April 1901 – 4 November 1969)
- John Anthony Alexander Rous, 4th Earl of Stradbroke (1903–1983)
- William Keith Rous, 5th Earl of Stradbroke (1907–1983)
- Hon. George Nathaniel Rous (1911–1982)
- Major Hon. Peter James Mowbray Rous (23 January 1914 – 17 May 1997), married Elizabeth Alice Mary Fraser on 24 June 1942 and had issue
- Hon. Christopher Simon Rous (3 January 1916 – 22 Feb 1925)"
SOURCE: Wikipedia contributors, 'George Rous, 3rd Earl of Stradbroke', Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia, 25 March 2013, 13:28 UTC, <http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=George_Rous,_3rd_Earl_of_Stradbroke&oldid=546904737> [accessed 7 May 2013]