|Birthplace:||Abt. 1488 Lathom, Lancashire, England|
|Death:||(Date and location unknown)|
Son of George Stanley, 9th Baron Strange of Knockin and Joan Stanley, 10th Baroness Strange of Knockin Strange
|Managed by:||Carole (Erickson) Pomeroy, Vol. ...|
Matching family tree profiles for George Stanley
About George Stanley
- Sir George Stanley, Lord Strange, Constable of Pontefract, Knaresborough, & Wicklow Castles1,2,3,4,5
- M, b. circa 1460, d. 5 December 1503
- Father Sir Thomas Stanley, 1st Earl Derby, 2nd Lord Stanley, Constable of England, Chief Justice of Chester & Flint6,7 b. c 1435, d. 29 Jul 1504
- Mother Eleanor Neville6,7 b. c 1438, d. a 6 Apr 1464
- Sir George Stanley, Lord Strange, Constable of Pontefract, Knaresborough, & Wicklow Castles was born circa 1460 at of Lathom & Knowsley, Lancashire, England.2,4 He married Joan Strange, daughter of Sir John Strange, 8th Baron Strange, Lord Mohun and Jaquetta Wydeville, before 26 October 1480; They had 5 sons (Sir Thomas, 2nd Earl of Derby, 3rd Lord Stanley, Lord Strange of Knockin; Anthony; John; Sir James; & 'George') and 5 daughters (Elizabeth, wife of Sir Edward Stanley; Eleanor; Katherine; Joan/Jane, wife of Sir Robert Sheffield; & Margaret, wife of John Osbaldeston, Esq.).2,8,3,4,5 Sir George Stanley, Lord Strange, Constable of Pontefract, Knaresborough, & Wicklow Castles died on 5 December 1503 at St. Paul's Wharf, London, Middlesex, England; Poisoned at a banquet. Buried with his mother at St. James, Garlick Lithe, London.2,4
- Family Joan Strange b. c 1459, d. 20 Mar 1514
- *Joan (Jane) Stanley9,2,3 b. c 1483, d. bt 1519 - 1520
- Sir Thomas Stanley, 2nd Earl Derby, 3rd Lord Stanley, Lord Strange of Knockin+2,4 b. b 1485, d. 23 May 1521
- Sir James Stanley+2 b. c 1491
- 1.[S8525] Unknown author, The Complete Peerage, by Cokayne, Vol. IV, p. 207/8; Burke's Peerage, 1938, p. 2339; Ancestral File, 4.10; The Royal Descents of 500 Immigrants, by Gary Boyd Roberts, p. 177; Burke's Peerage, 1938, p. 786.
- 2.[S5] Douglas Richardson, Plantagenet Ancestry, p. 681.
- 3.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. IV, p. 17-18.
- 4.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. IV, p. 93-94.
- 5.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. IV, p. 127.
- 6.[S5] Douglas Richardson, Plantagenet Ancestry, p. 680-681.
- 7.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. IV, p. 91-92.
- 8.[S5] Douglas Richardson, Plantagenet Ancestry, p. 694.
- 9.[S5] Douglas Richardson, Plantagenet Ancestry, p. 647.
- From: http://our-royal-titled-noble-and-commoner-ancestors.com/p915.htm#i27478
- George Stanley, 9th Baron Strange, of Knockyn, KG, KB (1460–1503) was an English nobleman and heir of Thomas Stanley, 1st Earl of Derby. Despite predeceasing his father in 1503, he was nevertheless a considerable soldier and aristocrat in his own right and held a number of senior offices of state.
- He was born about 1460 in Knowsley, Lancashire, England, the eldest son of Thomas Stanley and his first wife Eleanor, sister of Richard Neville, Earl of Warwick. On his father's second marriage to Lady Margaret Beaufort, Countess of Richmond he became stepbrother to her son, Henry Tudor, later King Henry VII.
- He was invested as a Knight of the Order of the Bath in 1475 by King Edward IV. He held the offices of Constable of Pontefract Castle and Constable of Knaresborough Castle in 1485. He was present at the battle of Bosworth Field, but was held captive by Richard III because of his father's actions. He held the office of Constable of Wicklow Castle in 1486 and became Chief Justice of the Duchy of Lancaster in 1486. In 1487 he was invested with the Order of the Garter and made a Privy Counsellor.
- He was married in 1482 to Joan le Strange, 9th Baroness Strange (c. 1460 - 1514), daughter of John le Strange, 8th Baron Strange (c. 1440 - 1477) and Jacquetta Woodville (daughter of Richard Woodville, 1st Earl Rivers and Jacquetta of Luxembourg), thereby becoming 9th Baron Strange de jure uxoris (in the right of his wife) and was summoned to Parliament in this role. Their children were:
- John Stanley (d. 1503)
- Thomas Stanley, 2nd Earl of Derby (1485–1521)
- James Stanley, Knight (1486–1562), who founded the branch of the family known as the 'Stanleys of Bickerstaffe', from which the 11th Earl of Derby and all subsequent Earls descend
- 'George Stanley
- Jane Stanley, married Sir Robert Sheffield (died 15 November 1531, son of Robert Sheffield and Helen Delves) and had a son, Edmund Sheffield, 1st Baron Sheffield.
- Elizabeth Stanley
- Margaret Stanley
- He died in Derby House, St Paul's Wharf, London over 4–5 December 1503, allegedly of poison following a banquet. He was buried in the London church of St James Garlickhythe nearby.
- From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Stanley,_9th_Baron_Strange