About Gilbert de Cuningburgh
An alternative descent is provided in Burke's Extinct Peerage, a work of lesser reliability than the Scots Peerage:
- 1. Vernebald
- 2. Robert fitz Vernebald; married Richenda, daughter of Sir Humphrey de Barclay of Gairntully.
- 3. Robert fitz Robert fitz Vernebald
- 4. unnamed son
- 5. unnamed son
- 6. Hervey de Cunynghame; married the heiress of Riddell of Glengarnock
- 7. Sir William de Cunynghame of Kilmaurs; died 1285.
- 8. Edward de Cunynghame of Kilmaurs, had unnamed brother[s]
* 9. Gilbert de Cunynghame of Kilmaurs; died 1292 [actually Gilbert de Cuningburgh, not a member of this family].
- 10. Sir Robert de Cunynghame of Kilmaurs; died 1330.
- 11. Sir William de Cunynghame of Kilmaurs
- Burke's Peerage & Baronetage, 106th Edition, Charles Mosley Editor-in-Chief, 1999 Page: 736