About Haim Margolis-Kalwaryiski
from a catalog of rare manuscripts
43 Ridge Hill
London, NW11 8PR
Hayim Kalwariski-Margolis (1868-1947) was a very active proponent of Jewish- Arab rapprochment for several decades and was involved in a variety of organisation to promote this aim notably Brit Shalom, Kedma Mizracha, the League of Jewish Arab Rapprochment and Ihud.
125. Jewish Arab Co-Operation. Manuscript + 4 Printed Items. Items from 1939-
1946 relating to attempts to promote Jewish-Arab co-operation.
i. A manuscript notebook relating to meetings to foster Jewish Arab relations. 28 pages mostly in Hebrew presumably in the hand of Hayim Kalwariski. Eliyahu
Sasson, later Minister of Arab Affairs is also one of the participants. It contains descriptions of travels to Baghdad for discussions with Arab leaders, the last 4 pages are in English and are a translation of letter sent to the Executive of the Jewish Agency in London where it outlines key areas that must be taken into account including (a) the right of Jewish immigration, (b) the aspirations of the Arabs for Independence (c) the principle of non-domination (d) the right of the Jews to a homeland. In addition there are 3 printed pamphlets and one memeographed note all in Hebrew. (1) Aharon Cohen, Sheroshai Hamishbar, Derochim L’Motzai (Roots of the Crisis, Ways Out) 1946, 27 pp Published by
the League for Arab Jewish Co-Operation,
ii. 4 page pamphlet, October 1942 describing a trip by Kalwariski and Ahron Cohen to Syria and Lebanon to meet with Arab Leaders,
iii. Bshhat Hiram, 45 pp + ads, September, 1940
iv. A mimeographed note of a meeting between Kalursky, Ahron Cohen and Moshe Shertok (later Moshe Sharett, Israel’s first Foreign Minister) 2 pages marked ‘Sodi’ -secret- at the top. A fascinating manuscript and documents that provide primary source material throwing light on attempts to bring the two sides together. There are suggestion of how this Jewish-Arab Palestine
could become part of a federation of Arab States.
The first body to advocate bi-nationalism was *Berit Shalom, which existed from 1925 to 1933. *Ha-Shomer ha-Ẓa'ir started to advocate bi-nationalism as part of its platform in 1929, and some of its members, including Mordekhai *Bentov and Aharon Cohen, continued to support the idea until after the establishment of the State in 1948. Following the outbreak of the 1936 disturbances (or Arab Revolt) a new organization, advocating a rapprochement with the Arab population, was set up, bearing the name Kedmah Mizraḥah ("Forward to the East"). Towards the end of its existence in 1938, the organization became associated with bi-nationalism, as Haim *Margolis-Kalvaryski became its most active member. Another group that was active in this period, and advocated an agreement with the Arabs which included certain features of bi-nationalism, was known as "the group of five." This group, which included Gad*Frumkin, Moshe *Smilansky, Pinḥas *Rutenberg, Moshe *Novomeysky, and Judah L. *Magnes , and held meetings with both Arab leaders and Zionist leaders, proposed as part of an agreement with the Arabs that would enable continued Zionist development, the establishment of a legislative council based on parity.
In 1907, Haim Margolis-Kalvaryski built a courtyard at the present site of Tel Hai - then known as Talha - in order to serve the farmers of nearby Metulla, who tilled the land here. Eleven years later, Kibbutz Tel Hai was established in Talha.
Photographs of Tel Hai and the history is found at:
Haim Margolis-Kalwaryiski's Timeline
November 1, 1900
Palestine, Ottoman Empire