Hannah Lockwood (Scott)
|Also Known As:||"Disbrow/"|
|Birthplace:||Ipswich, Massachusetts Bay Colony|
|Death:||Died in Stamford, Fairfield County, Connecticut Colony|
Daughter of Thomas Scott, of Ipswich and Elizabeth Scott
|Occupation:||m. 1/7/1655 to Edmund Lockwood|
|Managed by:||Private User|
About Hannah Lockwood
- Ancestry of Charles Stinson Pillsbury and John Sargent Pillsbury by Holman, Mary Lovering, 1868-1947, Pillsbury, Helen Pendleton Winston, 1878-1957 Vol. 1
- EDMUND SCOTT born probably in Rattlesden, Suffolk, Eng., about 1530, buried there, 14 Aug. 1621, aged "about ninety-seven years." He married, probably about 1560, JOAN ___ , who was buried 15 May 1615, "an old woman".
- Edmund Scott appears in the records of Rattlesden in 1569 as a "Questman", a parish officer. This is the first mention found of him, although the records begin in 1558, and as the baptisms of his two eldest children are not of record, he possibly came to Rattlesden about 1556 from some other parish. In 1588-89, he was a church warden and in 1593, he was a collector. In 1611, Edmund Scott, "Sr." served again as collector. His age at death was probably exaggerated.
- Children, all but two baptised in Rattlesden:
- i. EDMUND, b. about 1561, buried 14 July 1642, Rattlesden; m. 16 Sept. 1583, Rattlesden, AGNES LOSSE, baptism and burial not found. Children (SCOTT), baptised in Rattlesden, (1) Edmund, bapt. 18 Oct. 1586, buried 30 June 1615, "a yonge man, ye sone of Edmund ye younger."; (2) Jonas, bapt. 20 Oct. 1588; (3) Nicholas, bapt. 25 Sept. 1591; (4) George, bapt. 28 Dec. 1594; (5) Robert, bapt. 25 May 1597.
- ii. HENRY, b. probably about 1565; m. MARTHA WHATLOCK.
- iii. DINAY, bapt. 18 June 1567; m. 8 Jan. 1587-88 JOHN RANSONE. Child (RANSONE, Priscilla, bapt. 2 June 1588.
- iv. ANNE, bapt. 21 Aug. 1569.
- v. ROSE, bapt. 15 Sept 1571, buried 19 Sept 1571.
- vi. GEORGE, bapt. 31 Jan. 1573-74.
- vii. NICHOLAS, bapt. 13 June 1576; m. 7 Apr. 1603, ANNE BATMAN. Child, Nicholas, bapt. 22 Jan. 1503-04, buried 29 Nov. 1606.
- HENRY SCOTT (Edmund), born probably in Rattlesden, Suffolk, about 1565, was buried there, 24 Dec. 1624. He married in Rattlesden, 25 July 1594, MARTHA WHATLOCK, baptised there, 18 July 1658, died before 1653, daughter of Thomas and Joan (___) Whatlock.
- Henry Scott grew up in Rattlesden, a yeoman farmer. After his death, his family continued to reside there until 1634 when they emigrated to America. His widow, Martha, aged about sixty (really fifty-six), his son Thomas and his family, his daughter, Ursula (Scott) Kimball with her husband, Richard Kimball, their children, and Kimball's brother, Henry Kimball, and his family, sailed in the Elizabeth of Ipswich, 30 Apr. 1634. This shipping list, given by both Drake and Hotten, is divided into two parts, those who took the oath of allegiance and those who did not, the latter being children under age.
- "Ipswich. -- A note of the names and ages of all the Passengers which tooke shipping in the Elizabeth .... etc.
- Henry Scott left a will of which brief abstract is obtainable: -- .... etc.
- It is evident that Thomas Scott, the eldest son, had received his share of his father's property, either through gift at age of twenty-one or through certain property being entailed to him and hence not mentioned in his father's will.
- Children born in Rattlesden:
- i. THOMAS1, baptised 26 Feb. 1594-95, d. between 8 Mar. 1653-54 and 28 Mar. 1653-54, prob. Ipswich, Mass.; m. 20 July 1620, ELIZABETH STRUTT, bapt. 19 May 1594, Rattlesden, d. before 1654, dau. of Christopher and Ann Strutt. Children (SCOTT), (1) Elizabeth, bapt. 18 Nov. 1623, Rattlesden; (2) Abigail, bapt. 5 Mar. 1625; (3) Thomas, bapt. 15 June 1628; (4) Benjamin, bapt. 3 Feb. 1630, d. 30 Aug. 1633; (5) Hannah, b. about 1635; prob. Ipswich, Mass.; (6) Sarah, b. about 1637; (7) Mary b. about 1639.
- ii. URSULA, bapt. 14 Feb. 1596-97; m. RICHARD KIMBALL.
- iii. ROGER, bapt. 15 Nov. 1604, d. after 1638; m. 26 Feb. 1627-28, SARAH GRIMWOOD. Children (SCOTT), born in Rattlesden, (1) Susan, bapt. 6 June 1632; (2) Roger, bapt. 21 May 1633; (3) Sarah, bapt. 4 Mar. 1635; (4) Abigail, bapt. 26 Nov. 1637; (5) John, bapt. 20 Mar. 1639.
- URSULA1 SCOTT (Henry, Edmund), baptised in Rattlesden, Suffolk, Eng., 14 Feb. 1596-97, died before 1661, probably in Ipswich, Mass. She married RICHARD KIMBALL. See the First Kimball Line.
- The Ancestry of Phoebe Tilton, 1775-1847, Wife of Capt. Abel Lunt of Newburyport, Massachusetts
- The will of Thomas Scott of Ipswich was made March 8, 1653/4, and proved March 28, 1654. To his daughters Elizabeth and Abigail he left £25 each, half to be paid within half a year of his decease and the rest within a year. To his daughters Hannah, Sarah and Mary, £25 each, to be paid when they reached the age of twenty-one, but, if they married before that age, one-half was to be paid on their marriage days. Residue to son Thomas. Executors: brother Richard Kembell, Thomas Rowlinson, sr., Edmund Bridges. The inventory of £318 list three books, much cloth and pewter and the house, barn and land. The legacies of Sarah and Mary Scott were paid to Mr. Ezekiel Rogers for them in 1661 and 1663, and Haniell Bosworth receipted for that of his wife Abigail in 1663.*
- i. ELIZABETH, bapt. in Rattlesden Nov. 18, 1623; m. John Spofford of Rowley.
- ii. ABIGAIL, bapt. in Rattlesden March 5, 1625; m. Haniell Bosworth of Ipswich.
- iii. THOMAS, bapt in Rattlesden June 15, 1628; m. Margaret Hubbard, sister of Rev. William Hubbard of Ipswich, author of History of New England and a Narrative of Troubles with the Indians. He died in Ipswich Sept. 6, 1657. His widow Margaret m. secondly Ezekiel Rogers, son of Rev. Ezekiel Rogers of Rowley, and died, his widow, in Boston in 1678.
- For going into the woods, singing and shouting .... etc.
- Administration on the estate of Thomas Scott was granted to his wife Margaret on Sept. 29, 1657. It was small, containing no real estate, and was insolvent.║ Thomas Patch and Abigail Bosworth on Sept. 25, 1683, petitioned for the administration on the estate of their brother Thomas Scott, deceased.
- Margaret Rogers made her will in Boston on June 22, 1678. Her estate in Ipswich was was bound to make good £200 to her children and, when it cleared of that obligation, £40 from it was to be given to her son and daughter Snelling's two children. The estate of her son Thomas Scott of which she was executrix she left to her own executrix to be disposed of in accordance with Thomas's will. .... etc.
- On January 9, 1694, William Rogers addresssed a petition to the Probate Court saying: "Thomas Scott my Grandfather dyed in Ipswich about thirty and eight yers agoe . . . he left my Grandmother with onely two Children viz margerett Scott my mother and thomas Scott . . . my sd uncle thomas Scott went unto old England and dyed ther . . . when I was about four yers old my mother dyed and in a short time after my Grandmother about sixten yers agoe . . . my sd Grandfather dyed sezed of agood Considerable estat in land in Ipswich . . . I am the onely surviving person descended from my sd Grandfather and now I am come to the age of twenty one yers doe humly Crave that your Honnour will Grant administration to me of the estat of my sd Grandfather that hath not bien leagally disposed of."
- 1. Margaret; m. (1) William Rogers, merchant, of Boston; m. (2) by Jan. 30, 1676/7, William Snelling of Boston.
- 2. Thomas; "went into old England and dyed ther"; his mother had been executrix of his estate when she made her will in 1678.
- 3. Mary, b. March 24, 1657; d. April 1, 1658.
- iv. BENJAMIN, bapt. at Rattlesden Feb. 3, 1630, and buried there Aug. 30, 1633.
- v. HANNAH; unmarried in 1653/4; m. Edmund Lockwood of Stamford.
- vi. SARAH; unmarried in 1653/4.
- vii. MARY; unmarried in 1653/4; m. Thomas Patch of Wenham.
- FOR IMAGES SEE
- http://photos.geni.com/p13/5f/2c/b4/a6/5344483b2db901fd/thomas_scott_11_massachusettsandmainefamiliesintheancestryofwalt_338216505_original.jpg & http://photos.geni.com/p13/43/86/0a/80/5344483b2db735d6/thomas_scott_12_massachusettsandmainefamiliesintheancestryofwalt_338216506_original.jpg
Hannah Lockwood's Timeline
Rattlesden, Suffolk, England, United Kingdom
Ipswich, Massachusetts Bay Colony
Stamford, Fairfield, CT, USA
March 15, 1666
Stamford, Fairfield County, Connecticut Colony
Stamford, Fairfield, CT, USA
August 13, 1668
Norwalk, Fairfield County, Connecticut Colony
Stamford, Fairfield, CT, USA
Stamford, Fairfield, CT, USA
April 12, 1706