Hannah Sexton / Brainard (Spencer)
|Birthplace:||Haddam, Middlesex, Connecticut, United States|
|Death:||Died in Haddam, Middlesex, Connecticut, United States|
|Place of Burial:||Hartford, CT, USA|
Daughter of Sgt. Thomas Spencer and Sarah Spencer
|Managed by:||Erin Spiceland|
Matching family tree profiles for Hannah Sexton / Brainard
About Hannah Sexton / Brainard
Hannah Spencer b.26 April 1653 dau. of Sgt. Thomas Spencer and Sarah Bearding. Hannah married 1st George Sexton 2nd Daniel Brainerd.
- Families of Early Hartford, Connecticut By Lucius Barnes Barbour Pg.556
- The genealogy of the Brainerd-Brainard family in America, 1649-1908 by Brainard, Lucy Abigail
- DANIEL1 BRAINERD,* the progenitor of nearly all of those who bear the name of Brainerd in America, was probably born in Braintree, Essex Co., England, near the year 1641, and was brought to this country when about eight years of age and lived with the Wadsworth† family in Hartford, Conn., remaining there until 1662, when with others, he took up land and made Haddam his permanent home, .... etc.
- Daniel Brainerd's children were baptized in Middletown, about eight miles distant, before permission was granted to the citizens of Haddam by the General Court of Connecticut to build a church .... etc.
- Daniel Brainerd of Haddam, Middlesex Co., Conn., m., about 1663 or '64, Hannah Spencer,* b. about 1641 at Lynn, Mass., dau. of Gerrard and Hannah Spencer of Lynn, Mass., formerly of "The New Town," Cambridge, Mass., afterwards, about the year 1663 or '64, one of the first settlers of Haddam, Conn. Mrs. Hannah (Spencer) Brainerd d. before 1691, or about that time. He m. (2), March 30, 1693, Mrs. Elizabeth (Wakeman) Arnold, b. ___ dau. of Samuel and Elizabeth ( ___ ) Wakeman, formerly of England. Samuel Wakeman d. at the Bahama Islands in 1641. Mrs. Arnold was mother of Deacon Arnold,† Mrs. Elizabeth (Wakeman) (Arnold) Brainerd d. ___ . He m. (3), November 29, 1698, Mrs. Hannah (Spencer) Sexton, b. probably April 25, 1653, and dau. of Thomas and Sarah (Bearding) Spencer, and widow of George Sexton,‡ who was son of George Sexton of Windsor, Conn. Dea. Daniel Brainerd d. April 1, 1715, ae. 74 yrs., and is buried in the ancient burying ground in Haddam, a few rods east of the Court House. Mrs. Hannah (Spencer) (Sexton) Brainerd, d.
- .... etc.
- * .... etc.
- Children by the first marriage:
- 2. i. DANIEL, b. March 2, 1665-66, in Haddam, Conn.
- ii. HANNAH, b. Nov. 20, 1667, in Haddam, Conn.; m. Oct. 3, 1692, Thomas Gates,* b. Jan. 21, 1664-65, in Haddam, Conn., son of George and Sarah (Olmsted) Gates of the same place. .... etc.
- 2. iii. JAMES, b. June 2, 1669, in Haddam, Conn.
- 2. iv. JOSHUA, b. July 20, 1671-72, in Haddam, Conn.; bapt. Oct. 7, 1672, in Middletown, Conn.
- * .... etc
- 2. v. WILLIAM, b. March 30, 1673-74, in Haddam, Conn.; bapt. May 5, 1674, in Middletown, Conn.
- 2. vi. CALEB, b. Nov. 20, 1675-76, in Haddam, Conn.
- 2. vii. ELIJAH, b. about 1677-78, in Haddam, Conn.; bapt. March 26, 1678, in Middletown, Conn.
- 2. viii. HEZEKIAH, b. May 24, 1680-81, in Haddam, Conn. ; bapt. March 7, 1682, in Middletown, Conn.
- New England families, genealogical and memorial: a record of the ..., Volume 1 p 72 edited by William Richard Cutter
- Elijah Brainerd, son of Daniel Brainerd, married (first) September 28, 1699, Mary Bushnell, born March 10, 1675, daughter of Joseph and Mary (Leffingwell) Bushnell. She died September 11, 1735. Elijah Brainerd married (second) Margaret ____ , September 6, 1738. The will of Elijah Brainerd, who died April 20, 1740, according to the Hartford probate records, bequeaths to his daughter, Mary Pond, and mentions the "right of Moses Pond" in describing land.
- Daniel Brainerd, father of Elijah Brainerd, and the immigrant ancestor, was born probably at Braintree, county Essex, England, about 1641, and was brought to this country when about eight years old and lived with the Wadsworth family in Hartford, Connecticut. He remained there until 1662, when with others he took up land and made Haddam his permanent home, although at that time it was an unbroken wilderness. His children were baptized in the Middletown church, eight miles from home. He married (first) Hannah Spencer, born about 1641, at Lynn, Massachusetts, daughter of Gerrard and Hannah Spencer, of Cambridge and Lynn, Massachusetts, and Haddam, Connecticut. She died about 1691. Daniel Brainerd married (second) March 30, 1693, Elizabeth (Wakeman) Arnold, daughter of Samuel and Elizabeth Wakeman, both natives of England. Samuel Wakeman died at the Bahama Islands in 1641. Daniel Brainerd married (third) November 29, 1698, Hannah (Spencer) Sexton, born April 25, 1653, daughter of Thomas and Sarah Spencer, and widow of George Sexton. Deacon Daniel Brainerd died April 1, 1715, and is buried in the old burial ground at Haddam. .... Children by first wife: Daniel, born March 2, 1665-66; Hannah, November 20, 1667; James, June 2, 1669; Joshua, July 20, 1671-72; William, March 30, 1673-74; Caleb, November 20, 1675-76; Elijah, about 1677-78; Hezekiah, May 24, 1680-81.
- .... etc.
- Hannah Spencer Sexton
- Birth: Apr. 15, 1653 Hartford, Hartford County, Connecticut, USA
- Death: Apr. 1, 1715 Haddam, Middlesex County, Connecticut, USA
- Wife of George Sexton.
- Family links:
- Thomas Spencer (1607 - 1687)
- Sarah Bearding Spencer
- Daniel Brainerd (1641 - 1715)
- George Sexton (1678 - 1754)*
- Thomas Spencer (1641 - 1689)**
- Hannah Spencer Sexton (1653 - 1715)
- *Calculated relationship
- Burial: Ancient Burying Ground, Hartford, Hartford County, Connecticut, USA
- Find A Grave Memorial# 27122900
- From: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=27122900
- Commemorative biographical record of Hartford County, Connecticut : containing biographical sketches of prominent and representative citizens, and of many of the early settled families (1901) Volume Part 2
- Pg. 1050
- HENRY STANNARD BRAINARD, ....
- .... Daniel Brainard ....
- Pg. 1051
- m1. Hannah Spencer, dau. of Gerrard Spencer of Lynn, Mass., m2. Mrs Hannah Sexton a widow
Hanna Spencer was born on April 15, 1653 in Haddam, Middlesex, Connecticut She was Christened on Apr 1653 at First Church, Middletown, Middlesex Co, Connecticut
Hanna spencer married Daniel Brainerd 29 Nov 1698 of Hartford, Hartford, England
She died April 1, 1715 in Haddam, Middlesex, Connecticut and was buried
at Ancient Burying, Haddam, Middlesex, Ct.
(These children are from Daniel's 1st wife, Hannah (dau. of Hannah (Hill) & Gerard/Jared Spencer), not his 3rd wife Hannah (dau. of Sarah (Bearding) & Thomas Spencer) Sexton)
Hanna and Daniel had 8 children
4. Joshua Brainerd
5. William Brainerd
6. Caleb Brainerd
7. Elijah Brainerd b. May 26,1678 d. Ap. 20, 1740 m. Mary Bushnel
8. Hezikiah Brainerd
Hannah Sexton / Brainard's Timeline
April 25, 1653
Haddam, Middlesex, Connecticut, United States
September 9, 1676
Connecticut, United States
Hartford, Connecticut, United States
September 9, 1680
Westfield, Hampden, Massachusetts, United States
December 5, 1682
Westfield, Hampshire, New York, United States
Newton, Queens, New York, United States
November 29, 1698
April 1, 1715
Haddam, Middlesex, Connecticut, United States
Hartford, CT, USA