Hansell Elizabeth Bland (1907 - 1909)

‹ Back to Bland surname

Is your surname Bland?

Research the Bland family

Hansell Elizabeth Bland (1907-1909)'s Geni Profile

Share your family tree and photos with the people you know and love

  • Build your family tree online
  • Share photos and videos
  • Smart Matching™ technology
  • Free!

Share

Birthplace: Georgia, United States
Death: Died in Savannah, Georgia, USA
Cause of death: Accidental Ingestion of Boric Acid, Statesboro News reported cause of death was carbolic acid poisoning & ptomaine poisoning caused by the antidote
Managed by: Jim Semple, Jr
Last Updated:

About Hansell Elizabeth Bland

SEE "Timeline" for chronological order of life events including photos and documents as available; SEE "Media" for Documents and any photo collection included from "Timeline"

Hansell Elizabeth Bland was born on August 7, 1907, a daughter of Aden B. and Margaret "Maggie" Jane (Jones) Bland in Georgia. She would be the sister of Anna Mae "Ann" (Bland) Donaldson Mitchell (1911-1982); Earl Bland (1914-1943) and Ernestine "Kitty" (Bland) Bennett Coxe (1914-2005).

In 1907, Hansell, her parents and her mother's sister, Annie, were all living at 416 Montgomery St., Savannah, GA. In 1909, they moved again next door to 418 Montgomery St.

On Friday, June 18, 1909, little Hansell, almost age 2, reached up and got a bottle of carbolic acid from a table while her mother was absent from the room. She drank some of the deadly poison, and her throat, stomach, mouth and chin were severely burned. Physicians were called and relieved the child with antidotes. Later in the day, she was able to talk. It was then thought she was recovering and the chances for living were very good, as her parents entertained some hope for her recovery. However, early the next morning on Saturday, June 19, 1909, she took a turn for the worse and died at 5 a.m.

Later that day preparation was made for burial by Undertakers Fox & Weeks and brought to Brooklet, Bulloch County, GA on Saturday night at the home of her grandfather, James Bland. The funeral was on Sunday, June 20, 1909. Burial was at Corinth-Leefield Cemetery near Brooklet in Bulloch County, GA

Niece, Betty Bennett Semple, remembered that she died from accidental ingestion of boric acid.

MEMORIAL: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSsr=1&GSmid=47523168&GRid=74358227&

Source: Savannah Evening Press, Saturday, June 19, 1909, Bland Family Record documents from Earl Mitchell

(Note: Sources & information, as available, added by family connections researcher, Jim Semple, Jr.)

view all

Hansell Elizabeth Bland (1907-1909)'s Timeline

1907
August 7, 1907
Georgia, United States

See "Documents"

1907
- 1908

According to Gotte’s 1907 Savannah City Directory, A.B. and Maggie Bland were living at 416 Montgomery Street. He still worked as a collector for the Dixie Trust Company. Maggie’s sister Annie was living with them.

According to Gotte’s 1908 Savannah City Directory, A.B. and Maggie Bland were living at 416 Montgomery Street. He is a collector for M.K. Jones.

1909
June 19, 1909
Age 1
Savannah, Georgia, USA

SEE "Documents" for copy of newspaper article as written below...

6-19-1909 (Sat.) Savannah Evening Press
"Carbolic Acid Killed Little Girl"
------------------------------------
Hansell Bland died at an early hour this morning.

As a result of carbolic acid poisoning, little Hansell, the 2-year-old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. A. B. Bland, of 418 Montgomery street, died the (this) morning (6-19-1909, Sat.) at 5 o'clock, after it was thought that the child had recovered sufficiently from effects of the drug for the parents to entertain some hope for its (her) recovery.

The remains were prepared for burial today (6-19-1909, Sat.) by Undertakers Fox & Weeks and shipped this afternoon to Brooklet, Bulloch county, where the funeral will take place tomorrow. (6-20-1909, Sunday)

Reaching up and getting a bottle of carbolic acid from a table yesterday, while the mother was absent from the room, the little child drank some of the deadly poison, and her throat, stomach, mouth and chin were severely burned. Physicians were called and relieved the child with antidotes. Later in the day the little girl was able to talk. It was then thought to be recovering and the chances for living were very good. Early this morning, however, the little one had a turn for the worse and died in a short time.

June 20, 1909
Age 1
Brooklet (nearby), Bulloch County, Georgia, USA

6-19-1909 (Sat.) Savannah Evening Press
The remains were prepared for burial today (6-19-1909, Sat.) by Undertakers Fox & Weeks and shipped this afternoon to Brooklet, Bulloch county, where the funeral will take place tomorrow. (6-20-1909, Sunday)

The remains were brought to Brooklet Saturday night (June 19, 1909, Sat.) to the home of James Bland.” (Statesboro News, June 24, 1909, Thurs.)