About Harvey Lindsley Page
PAGE, HARVEY LINDSLEY (1859–1934). Harvey Lindsley Page, architect, was born in Washington, D.C., on January 9, 1859, the son of Charles Grafton and Priscilla (Webster) Page. His father was the discoverer of the induction coil and the circuit breaker.
Harvey Page attended school in Andover, Massachusetts, and at the Emerson Institute in Washington, D.C. He studied architecture with J. L. Smithmeyer and in the early 1880s opened his own Washington office. Among his best-known works in Washington are the Army and Navy Club, the Metropolitan Club, and the Phoebe Hearst House.
Sometime after 1897 Page moved to Chicago, where he practiced for several years with E. S. Hall under the firm name H. L. Page and Company. Around 1900 he moved to San Antonio, where he lived and worked for the rest of his life. Page's most important works in San Antonio include the International and Great Northern Railroad Depot (1907), the Masonic Temple, the L. B. Clegg House, the Schutz House, the San Antonio Coliseum, the Travis Club Building, and Temple Beth-El (1927). Among his other noteworthy designs were the Corpus Christi Coliseum and the Nueces County Courthouse (1914).
In his later years, encouraged by his friend Robert Jenkins Onderdonk, Page took up painting. He accompanied Onderdonk on many of his sketching trips and produced many landscapes of the old missions and the countryside around San Antonio. Page also played a prominent role in San Antonio social life and was a member of the San Antonio Club, the Travis Club, the Chamber of Commerce, and the Masons.
In 1902 he married Anne T. Bower of New York; the couple had four children. Page died in San Antonio on January 5, 1934.