About Hattie Frankel (Bramson)
I was told by my grandmother that her mother was Chava / Hattie and that I was named for her. However her birth records give her name as Bodana. She was named for Badana Myszkowsky Margolis, her maternal great grandmother, who died the year before her birth.
While Jewish men had secular and Hebrew names, Jewish women did not always have Hebrew names, so I have no idea if she was called Chava. According to my grandmother, Hattie Frankel became Hattie at Ellis Island because "Chava is too hard to say". (However there was a "Chava" born in 1870 who apparently was Bertha Bramson Zhering.)
Born Chava Bramson in Przerosl, Poland in the Suwalki district of Poland on the border with Lithuania.
Her grandfather, Issac (Icko) Margolis, was the brother of her husband's mother, Eva (Chava) Margolis.
So her great-aunt was her mother-in-law.
Hattie Frankel's name was actually BADANA, after her great grandmother, Badana Myszkowsky according to Dr. Neil Rosenstein (The Margolis Family, published in 1984).
No image available
Search collection About this collection
- Name: Hattie Bramson Frankel
- Titles and Terms (original):
- Death Date: 10 Jan 1929
- Death Place: Peoria, Peoria, Illinois
- Gender: Female
- Marital Status:
- Race or Color:
- Age: 54
- Estimated Birth Year: 1875
- Birth Date: 12 Mar 1874
- Birthplace: Perushle, E. Prussia
- Father: Issia Bramson
- Father's Titles and Terms (original):
- Father's Birth Place: Perushle, E. Prussia
- Mother: Janet Margolis
- Mother's Titles and Terms (original):
- Mother's Birth Place: Perushle, E. Prussia
- Occupation: Housewife
- Street Address:
- Spouse: Harry Frankel
- Spouse's Titles and Terms (original):
- Spouse's Birthplace:
- Burial Date: 13 Jan 1929
- Burial Place: Peoria Towship, Peoria, Ill.
- Additional Relatives:
- Digital Folder Number: 4008238
- Image Number: 433
- Film Number: 1642978
- Volume/Page/Certificate Number: cn 5837
"Illinois, Deaths and Stillbirths, 1916-1947," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NQRY-BMH : accessed 5 July 2012), Hattie Bramson Frankel, 1929.