|Nicknames:||"Helwise", "Hawise", "Helawise"|
|Birthplace:||Lazonby, Penrith, Cumbria, England, United Kingdom|
|Managed by:||David Prins|
About Helewise de Stuteville
Helewise de Stuteville born c. 1155, Lazenby, Cumberland, England; d. aft. 1226. Other names: Heloise, Helwise, Hawise, Helawise.
- parents: Robert de Stuteville c. 1100-1183 & Helewise Murdac c. 1115- aft. 1183
- William de Lancaster c.1153-1214 (son of William de Lancester c. 1122-1170 and Gundred, Countess of Warenne 1117-1166)
- Hugh de Morville c. 1138-1204 (son of Simon de Morville c. 1118-bef. 1141 and Ada de Engayne 1122-?)
- William de Greystoke c. 1112-aft. 1161 (son of Ives de Greystoke and Agnes Fitzwalter)
children with William de Lancaster:
- Hawise de Lancaster c. 1172-aft. 9/1226 (m. Gilbert Fitzreinfrid)
- Lawrence Fil De Lancester c. 1200 (m. unknown)
children with Hugh de Morville:
- Ada de Morville c. 1187-aft. 1230 (m. Richard de Lucy)
4. Hugh de Morville c. 1196-?
From the Foundation for Medieval Genealogy page on Untitled English Nobility (covering her parents' family, nothing about her life beyond the fact she actually existed, eighth child of eight):
ROBERT de Stuteville (-1183).
"Gaufridus Ridel" confirmed a grant of property to "Johanni de Stutuilla" in his fee by charter dated to , witnessed by "…R. filius Nicolai de Stutavilla, Thomas frater suus…R. de Stutuilla, Nicolaus de Stutuilla". "Robertus de Stutevilla" confirmed donations to Rievaulx of "terram de Houetona", for the souls of "Roberti de Stutevilla avi mei et Roberti patris mei et Erneburgæ matris meæ et Helewisæ uxoris meæ", with the consent of "Willelmi filii mei et alirum filiorum meorum", by undated charter witnessed by "…Johanne de Stutevilla, Nicholao de Stutevilla, Rogero de Stutevilla, Bartholomæo de Stutevilla…".
The Red Book of the Exchequer refers to "Robertus de Stoteville cviii s iv d" in Yorkshire in [1167/68]. "Roberto de Stutevilla, Willelmo de Stutevilla" subscribed the charter dated 1168 under which Henry II King of England confirmed the property "in manerio de Hinton" of "Roberto de Basoges" granted to him by "comes Conanus". The Red Book of the Exchequer refers to "Robertus de Stoteville viii l, de novo ii s vi d" in Yorkshire in [1171/72]. "…Roberto de Stut[evilla]…" subscribed the charter dated [1172/78] under which Henry II King of England granted concessions to the lepers at Mont-aux-Malades.
m HELWISE, daughter of ---. Her marriage is confirmed by the undated charter under which her son "Robertus de Stutevilla" confirmed donations to Rievaulx of "terram de Houetona", for the souls of "Roberti de Stutevilla avi mei et Roberti patris mei et Erneburgæ matris meæ et Helewisæ uxoris meæ".
Robert & his wife had eight children:
(a) WILLIAM de Stuteville .
(b) NICHOLAS de Stuteville (-1177). The Red Book of the Exchequer records enfeoffments in the duchy of Normandy in , (Succeeds father)
(c) OSMUND de Stuteville (-after 1166). Military fee certifications in the Red Book of the Exchequer, in 1166, record that "Osmundus de Stuteville" held two parts of one knight´s fee from "Robertus de Stuteville" in Yorkshire.
(d) EUSTACE de Stuteville .
(e) ANSELM de Stuteville (-after 1177).
(f) ROBERT de Stuteville .
(g) BURGA de Stuteville (-after 1185, bur Alnwick Abbey). m (before [1169/71]) WILLIAM de Vescy, son of EUSTACE FitzJohn & his first wife Beatrice de Vescy (-before Nov 1183, bur Alnwick Abbey).
(h) HELWISE de Stuteville .
From the Celtic Casimir online family tree:
Helwise (Helewise, Heloise, Hawise) DE STUTEVILLE ,,,,,,
Born: Abt 1156, Lazonby, Cumberland, England
Married (1): ,,
Married (2): After 1184 ,,
Married (3): After 1202 ,,,
Died: After 1228 
The following is excerpted from a post to SGM, 7 Sep 2002, by Rosie Bevan:
From: "Rosie Bevan" (rbevan AT paradise.net.nz)
Subject: Stuteville of Cottingham
Date: 2002-09-07 03:43:36 PST
- Helewise. Married
(1) William II de Lancaster, lord of Kendal d.1184 by whom she had Helewise
(2) Hugh de Moreville of Burgh, Cumberland d. 1202 by whom she had Ada and Joan
(3) William son of Ranulf, lord of Greystoke d.1209 by whom she had Thomas.
In 1209 Robert de Vipont owed 500 marks for and 5 palfreys for the custody of the land and heirs of William and the marriage of his widow.
Helewise died after 1228.
Note: Following Ancestral Roots, I originally had the wife of Hugh de Moreville as a different person than the Helwise who married William de Lancaster & William de Greystoke, but Rosie indicates that Helewise married all three, and had children by each husband. ,
1. Alternate Birth; Abt 1170, Knaresborough Castle, West Riding Yorkshire, England.
Helwise married William II DE LANCASTER 6th Baron of Kendal, son of William DE LANCASTER 5th Baron Kendal and Gundred/ Adelaide (Ada) DE WARENNE ,,.
(William II DE LANCASTER 6th Baron of Kendal was born about 1154 in Kendal, Westmorland, England and died in 1184 in Lancaster, Lancashire, England ,.)
Helwise also married Hugh DE MORVILLE of Burgh & Knaresborough, son of Sir Simon DE MORVILLE of Burgh-By-Sands and Ada D' ENGAINE Heiress of Burgh-by-Sands, after 1184 ,,.
(Hugh DE MORVILLE of Burgh & Knaresborough was born about 1138 in Burgh-by-Sands, Cumberland, England and died in 1202 in Knaresborough Castle, West Riding Yorkshire, England .)
Helwise also married Sir William DE GREYSTOKE, son of Ralph DE GREYSTOKE and Amabel DE BALIOL, after 1202 ,,,.
(Sir William DE GREYSTOKE was born about 1158 in Greystoke, Penrith, Cumberland, England and died in 1209 .)
1. Jim Weber <jim.weber at nwintl.com>, WorldConnect at Rootsweb:
2. Newsgroup: soc.genealogy.medieval, at groups - google.com, Rosie Bevan, 7 Sep 2002.
3. Jim Weber <jim.weber at nwintl.com>, WorldConnect at Rootsweb:
4. Ancestral Roots of Certain American Colonists, 7th Edition, by Frederick Lewis Weis, additions by Walter Lee Shippard Jr., 1999, 40-26.
5. Complete Peerage of England Scotland Ireland Great Britain and the United Kingdom, by G. E Cokayne, Sutton Publishing Ltd, 2000, IX:397 chart.
7. Ancestral Roots of Certain American Colonists, 7th Edition, by Frederick Lewis Weis, additions by Walter Lee Shippard Jr., 1999, 88-26.
8. Jim Weber <jim.weber at nwintl.com>, WorldConnect at Rootsweb:
9. Ibid, http://worldconnect.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=jweber&id=I14893. -------------------- Helewise, daughter of Nicholas de Stuteville and had issue an only daughter and heiress
1. Helewise living temp. King Richard I, married Gilbert fil Roger fil Reinfred, Baron of Kendall jure uxious.
Helewise (daughter of Robert III) married 1. [KEND371] Sir William de Lancaster (see KENDAL FEUDAL LORDSHIP), who died 1184; then 2. [MORB441] Hugh de Morville (see MORVILLE), who died 1202; then 3. William de Gant, who died 1209.
Helewise de Stuteville's Timeline
Penrith, Cumbria, England, United Kingdom
Kendal, Westmoreland, Cumbria, England, UK
Cumbria, England, United Kingdom
Burgh by Sands, Cumbria, England, United Kingdom
Burgh by Sands, Cumbria, England, United Kingdom
Burgh By Sands,,Cumberland,England