Helen Sweeney (Corr)
|Also Known As:||"Ellen", "Carr"|
|Birthplace:||Corglass, Moyne, County Longford, Ireland|
|Death:||Died in USA|
|Place of Burial:||Gate of Heaven Cemetery, Westchester County, New York|
|Managed by:||Private User|
Historical records matching Helen Sweeney
About Helen Sweeney
- Name: Miss Helen Corr
- Born: Sunday 28th July 1895
- Age: 16 years
- Marital Status: Single.
- Last Residence: in Corglass Ireland
- 3rd Class passenger
- First Embarked: Queenstown on Thursday 11th April 1912
- Ticket No. 367231 , £7 15s
- Destination: New York City New York United States
- Rescued (boat 16)
- Disembarked Carpathia: New York City on Thursday 18th April 1912
- Died: Sunday 9th March 1980
Miss Helen Corr , 16, was born on 28 July 1895 in Corglass, Moyne, County Longford, Ireland . Her parents were Charles Corr and Bridget Masterson, and she came from a family of ten. She was 16 when she left Ireland bound for New York City where her sisters, Nora and Mary Kate, were already living. She boarded the Titanic at Queenstown as a third class passenger (ticket number 367231, £7 15s).
She was rescued from the Titanic in Lifeboat 14 or 16 along with the Murphys and the McCoys, with whom she was travelling.
She became a domestic in New York and in about 1922 married Patrick M. Sweeney there. She spent the rest of her life in the Bronx. They had no children.
Patrick Sweeney died 22 June 1929 at the age of 34 and was buried in Gate of Heaven Cemetery, Westchester County, New York. When Helen Sweeney (née Corr) died at the House of the Holy Comforter in the Bronx on 9 March 1980 she was buried beside him.
1. She has been listed as both "Helen _" and "Ellen _", "_ Carr" and "_ Corr". Family member confirm the name as Helen Corr, Her death certificate gives her name as Helen Sweeney and in her application for a social security card and she signs her own name as "Helen".
2. Ray (1999) gives her home as Aghnacliffe, County Longford, Ireland.
- Robert L. Bracken (2000) Irish Titanic Passengers
- Contract Ticket List, White Star Line 1912 (National Archives, New York; NRAN-21-SDNYCIVCAS-55)
- List or Manifest of Alien Passengers for the United States Immigration Officer At Port Of Arrival (Date: 18th-19th June 1912, Ship: Carpathia) - National Archives, NWCTB 85 T715 Vol 4183
- Names and Descriptions of British Passengers Embarked at the Port of Queenstown, 11 April 1912 (PRO London, BT 27/776/2).
- Noel Ray (1999) List of Passengers who Boarded RMS Titanic at Queenstown, April 11, 1912. The Irish Titanic Historical Society
- Anna Marie Collins, USA
- Robert L. Bracken, USA
- Phillip Gowan, USA
- Michael A. Findlay, USA
- Senan Molony, Ireland
- Noel Ray, Ireland
Helen Sweeney's Timeline
July 28, 1895
March 9, 1980
Gate of Heaven Cemetery, Westchester County, New York