Henry's Top Matches
view all 22
About Henry Robert Brand, 24th Baron Dacre, 2nd Vicount Hampden
Henry Robert Brand, 2nd Viscount Hampden, GCMG (2 May 1841 – 2 November 1906) was Governor of New South Wales from 1895 to 1899.
Hampden was the son of Henry Brand, 1st Viscount Hampden. He succeeded his father as second Viscount and twenty-fourth Baron Dacre on 14 March 1892.
Hampden was Member of Parliament (MP) for Hertfordshire 1868-1873 and for Stroud 1880-1886. He arrived in Sydney, Australia on 21 November 1895, and served an uneventful term as Governor of New South Wales. He resigned his post before the conclusion of his intended term effective from 1 March 1899, citing private interests.  He left Sydney by train on 5 March 1889, joining the steamer Oruba in Melbourne the following day. He was the second-last Governor of New South Wales before the Federation of Australia.
Lord Hampden married Susan Henrietta Cavendish (1846–1909), daughter of Lord George Cavendish and Louisa Lascelles, on 14 April 1868. They had the following children:
- Thomas Brand, 3rd Viscount Hampden (1869–1958) married Katharine Mary Montagu-Douglas-Scott (1875–1951), daughter of William Henry Walter Montagu-Douglas-Scott and Louisa Jane Hamilton, on 29 April 1899; they had eight children.
- Sir Hubert George Brand (1870–1955) married Norah Conyngham Greene (d. 1924) on 28 January 1914; they had two daughters: Elizabeth Norah Brand (b. 1915) and Mary Kathleen Brand (b. 1921).
- Richard Brand (1871–1880) died at age eight.
- Margaret Brand (1873–1948) married Algernon Francis Holford Ferguson (1867–1943) on 21 April 1897; had five children: Victor John Ferguson (b. 1898), Andrew Henry Ferguson (b. 1899), George Algernon Holford Ferguson (b. 1905), Margaret Susan Ferguson (b. 1906), and Jane Charlotte Ferguson (b. 1912). Through her son Andrew, she is the great-grandmother of Sarah Ferguson.
- Alice Brand (1877–1945)
- Dorothy Louisa Brand (1878–1958) married Percy Henry Guy Feilden (1870–1944) on 11 November 1902; they had three children: Randle Guy Feilden (b. 1904), Cecil Henry Feilden (b. 1907) and Dorothy Priscilla Feilden (b. 1909).
- Robert Henry Brand, 1st Baron Brand married Phyllis Langhorne (d. 20 January 1937) on 9 June 1917; they had three children: Virginia Brand (b. 1918), Dinah Brand (b. 1920), and Robert James Brand (b. 1923).
- Roger Brand (1880–1945) married Muriel Hectorina Lilian Montgomery (d. 1988) on 21 November 1913; they had one child: Patricia Helen Winifred Brand (b. 1926).
- Geoffrey Brand (1885–1899) died at age 13.
Hampden Bridge in Kangaroo Valley, NSW is named for him. He died in London in 1906.
- 1.^ David Klune and Ken Turner, The Governors of New South Wales, 1788-2010, The Federation Press, 2010. p373
- 2.^ "THE GOVERNOR. LORD HAMPDEN RELINQUISHES OFFICE". Sydney Morning Herald: p. 5. 22 November 1898. http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article14186418.
- 3.^ "DEPARTURE OF LORD AND VISCOUNTESS HAMPDEN. THE CITIZENS' FAREWELL.". The Sydney Morning Herald: p. 5. 6 March 1899. http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article14203190.
- Hampden biography
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by the Viscount Hampden
- 'Henry Robert Brand, 2nd Viscount Hampden of Glynde1
- 'M, #103586, b. 2 May 1841, d. 22 November 1906
- Last Edited=21 Feb 2011
- Consanguinity Index=0.0%
- ' Henry Robert Brand, 2nd Viscount Hampden of Glynde was born on 2 May 1841.1 He was the son of Henry Bouverie William Brand, 1st Viscount Hampden of Glynde and Eliza Ellice.1 He married, firstly, Victoria Alexandrina Leopoldine Van de Weyer, daughter of Jean Sylvain Van de Weyer and Elizabeth Anne Sturgis Bates, on 21 January 1864 at Bray, County Wicklow, Ireland.2 He married, secondly, Susan Henrietta Cavendish, daughter of Lord George Henry Cavendish and Lady Louisa Lascelles, on 14 April 1868.1 He died on 22 November 1906 at age 65 at London, England.3
- ' He was educated at Rugby School, Rugby, Warwickshire, England.4 He held the office of Member of Parliament (M.P.) for Hertfordshire between 1868 and 1874.4 He gained the rank of Captain in the service of the Coldstream Guards.4 He held the office of Member of Parliament (M.P.) for Stroud between July 1874 and December 1874.4 He held the office of Surveyor-General of Ordnance between 1883 and 1885.4 He held the office of Member of Parliament (M.P.) for Stroud between 1885 and 1886.4 He was invested as a Knight of Grace, Order of St. John of Jerusalem (K.G.St.J.).4 He held the office of Justice of the Peace (J.P.) for Sussex.4 He held the office of Justice of the Peace (J.P.) for Hertfordshire.4 He succeeded to the title of 24th Lord Dacre [E., 1321] on 14 March 1892.1 He succeeded to the title of 2nd Viscount Hampden of Glynde, co. Sussex [U.K., 1884] on 14 March 1892.1 He held the office of Governor of New South Wales between 1895 and 1899.4 He was invested as a Knight Grand Cross, Order of St. Michael and St. George (G.C.M.G.) in 1899.4 He held the office of Deputy Lieutenant (D.L.) of Sussex.4 He has an extensive biographical entry in the Dictionary of National Biography.5
- 'Children of Henry Robert Brand, 2nd Viscount Hampden of Glynde and Susan Henrietta Cavendish
- 1.Brig.-Gen. Thomas Walter Brand, 3rd Viscount Hampden of Glynde+1 b. 29 Jan 1869, d. 4 Sep 1958
- 2.Admiral Hon. Sir Hubert George Brand+1 b. 20 May 1870, d. 14 Dec 1955
- 3.Richard Brand2 b. 8 Aug 1871, d. 18 Jan 1880
- 4.Hon. Margaret Brand+2 b. 1873, d. 27 Sep 1948
- 5.Hon. Alice Brand2 b. c 1877, d. 11 Jul 1945
- 6.Hon. Dorothy Louisa Brand+2 b. c 1878, d. 21 Jul 1958
- 7.Robert Henry Brand, 1st and last Baron Brand+3 b. 30 Oct 1878, d. 23 Aug 1963
- 8.Brig.-Gen. Hon. Roger Brand+4 b. 23 Nov 1880, d. 23 Oct 1945
- 9.Hon. Geoffrey Brand2 b. 3 Oct 1885, d. 25 Feb 1899
- 1.[S37] Charles Mosley, editor, Burke's Peerage, Baronetage & Knightage, 107th edition, 3 volumes (Wilmington, Delaware, U.S.A.: Burke's Peerage (Genealogical Books) Ltd, 2003), volume 1, page 1015. Hereinafter cited as Burke's Peerage and Baronetage, 107th edition.
- 2.[S37] Charles Mosley, Burke's Peerage and Baronetage, 107th edition, volume 1, page 1016.
- 3.[S2] Peter W. Hammond, editor, The Complete Peerage or a History of the House of Lords and All its Members From the Earliest Times, Volume XIV: Addenda & Corrigenda (Stroud, Gloucestershire, U.K.: Sutton Publishing, 1998), page 778. Hereinafter cited as The Complete Peerage, Volume XIV.
- 4.[S8] Charles Mosley, editor, Burke's Peerage and Baronetage, 106th edition, 2 volumes (Crans, Switzerland: Burke's Peerage (Genealogical Books) Ltd, 1999), volume 1, page 146. Hereinafter cited as Burke's Peerage and Baronetage, 106th edition.
view all 13
Henry Brand, 24th Baron Dacre, 2nd Vicount Hampden's Timeline
May 2, 1841
Devonport, Devonshire, England
April 14, 1868
January 29, 1869
May 20, 1870
Kensington, London, England
March 7, 1873
October 30, 1878
November 23, 1880