|Birthplace:||Cross House, Southampton, Hampshire, England|
|Death:||Died in At Sea - Titanic Casualty|
|Cause of death:||Died in the sinking. Body Not Recovered|
|Managed by:||June Barnes|
About Henry "Harry" Dennis Witt
- Name: Mr Henry Dennis Witt
- Born: Monday 14th December 1874
- Age: 37 years
- Marital Status: Single.
- Last Residence: at 28 Lower College Street Southampton Hampshire England
- Occupation: Fireman / Stoker
- Last Ship: Oceanic
- Engine crew
- First Embarked: Southampton
- Died in the sinking.
- Body Not Recovered
Mr Henry Dennis Witt was born at Cross House, Southampton on 14th December, 1874 the son of George Witt (labourer and bricklayer) and his wife Ellen (née Sillence). Henry, who was usually called Harry, had three older brothers: George, William and John, and two younger sisters Nellie and Daisy 1.
In 1891 Harry was living with his mother at 27 Coleman Street, Southampton. He was working as a "River Boy". His father died in 1902 and his mother in 1911.
Witt had previously served on the Oceanic. He was not originally engaged to serve on the Titanic but, together with his colleagues Lloyd, Geer, Kinsella, Black and Hosgood, was taken on at the last minute after six of the the "signed-on" crew arrived late for the sailing. His address at the time of the sinking was 28 Lower College Street, St Marys, Southampton.
Harry Witt died in the sinking. His body, if recovered was never identified. He is remembered with a plaque on a grave at The Old Cemetery, The Common, Southampton. The grave number is C175 076.
1. In the 1881 census the family are listed as living at 22 Chantry Road, Southampton St Mary, Hampshire. George Witt is listed as a master bricklayer and his wife as "Helen". Daisy was born after 1881.
- Certified Copy of an Entry of Birth
- Crew Particulars of Engagement
- Coventry Standard, 26/27 April 1912, Article
- The Hampshire Independent, 17 April 1915 [sic], In Memoriam
- British Census 1881
- British Census 1891
- Agreement and Account of Crew (PRO London, BT100/259)
- Hermann Söldner, Germany
- Brian Ticehurst, UK
- Alan Tucker, UK
- Priscilla Winn, UK
Henry "Harry" Dennis Witt's Timeline
December 14, 1874
April 15, 1912
At Sea - Titanic Casualty