About Henry Hurst
Daffodil Farm, Wood End, stood south of Sutton Road near the present Fallowfield Road. It seems to have belonged to the Hurst family in the 14th century. In 1333 William atte Hurst held land at Wood End which later formed part of the estate; he
was still living in 1338. (fn. 15) In 1388 John atte Hurst conveyed his property there to trustees, who in 1404 granted it to his widow Isabel. John's son William was apparently in possession by 1408. (fn. 16) In 1434 he leased most of the
estate to his son John, retaining part of the house and outbuildings and some land. (fn. 17) William was still alive in 1438 but by 1446 had been succeeded by another son, Thomas. (fn. 18) By 1479 the estate had passed to Edmund Hurst, who was
still in possession in 1493. (fn. 19) It had apparently descended by 1504 to his nephew Geoffrey Hurst, who died between 1514 and 1527. (fn. 20)
The estate was later held by Henry Hurst but had passed to John Floude of London and his wife Alice by 1546 when they leased it to Rowland Charles, a spurrier.
From: 'Walsall: Other estates', A History of the County of Stafford: Volume 17: Offlow hundred (part) (1976), pp. 175-80. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.asp?compid=36192. Date accessed: 23 September 2007.