Henry Sewell, of Sewell's Point
|Death:||Died in Lower Norfolk, Virginia|
|Managed by:||Private User|
Matching family tree profiles for Henry Sewell, of Sewell's Point
About Henry Sewell, of Sewell's Point
Henry Seawell came to Virginia with his brother in 1619 aboard the George.
He served from 1629 to 1633 in the Jamestown House of Burgess and again, from Lower (Southern) Norfolk County (now Nansemond County) in May 1640.
"Burgess for Elizabeth City in 1632, and for Norfolk County in 1639." -- From "Virginia, Prominent Families, Vol. II."
The area [Sewell's Point] was originally named in the 17th century after Henry Sewell, an Englishman who arrived in Virginia sometime prior to 1632 and married Alice Willoughby, daughter of Thomas Willoughby, a prominent magistrate.
Later, variations in spelling were used, such as Seawells Point, and Sewall Point. The common spelling today is Sewells Point.
Henry settled at what came to be known as Sewell's Point, Lower Norfolk, VA, prior to 1625. Sewell's Point is located on the current site of the US Norfolk Naval Station. In 1625, he served as Justice of Elizabeth City. He served from 1629 to 1633 in the Jamestown House of Burgess and again, from Lower (Southern) Norfolk County (now Nansemond County) in May 1640.
From Gillem's account - Henry came from England with his older brother, Thomas, in 1619, aboard the "George" and settled at Sewell's Point, Virginia (1626-1632)at a landing on "Fleur-de-Hundred" (Thomas Sewell's land).
There is an accounting record dated 1638 from Henry's father in London, England, of tobacco being sent from Henry in the ships "America" and "Alexandria" containing sassafras roots that were to be sold in England. The cash receipts totalled 650 pounds, 19 shillings and 6d (about $35,000 in 1955 currency).
Henry Sewell and Captain Sibley were authorized by the court of Elizabeth City to build a church at Sewell's Point. From Wikipedia, "About 1637, the Elizabeth River Parish was created. The first Anglican church of Elizabeth River Parish was erected between 1638 and 1640 "at Mr. Seawell's Pointe," with assistance of Thomas Willoughby. The first recorded minister was the Reverend John Wilson. The first church to be located in the area now know as South Hampton Roads, it stood somewhere within the present western limits of the US Naval Station Norfolk. According to old court records, the Episcopal churches in Norfolk are directly descended from it." Other records of the era reflect that the church Sewell founded was a Puritan church.
Historical records reflect that Henry Sewell and his wife died before the Indian uprising of 1644 and were both buried in the church chancel.
In his book, "The Founders of Anne Arundel and Howard Counties, Maryland. A Genealogical and Biographical Review from Wills, Deeds and Church Records" (1905) J. D. Warfield records that Alice Willoughby, daughter of Thomas Willoughby, was Henry's wife. Lower Norfolk Court Records, Book B, reflect that his wife's first name was Alice but does not show her maiden name.