Henry Sinclair, 2nd Earl of Orkney
|Birthplace:||Orkney, Orkney, United Kingdom|
|Death:||Died in Roslin, Midlothian, Scotland, United Kingdom|
Son of Henry Sinclair, 1st Earl of Orkney; Jean Halyburton of Dirleton and Jean Haliburton
|Occupation:||Earl of Orkney, 2nd Earl of Orkney, Protector of James ! of Scotland (essentially ruled Scotland during James I youth), nobleman|
|Managed by:||Robert Joshua Street|
Matching family tree profiles for Sir Henry Sinclair, 2nd Earl of Orkney
About Sir Henry Sinclair, 2nd Earl of Orkney
Henry Sinclair, 2nd Earl of Orkney (c. 1375 – 1422) was a Norwegian nobleman and Pantler of Scotland.
He was son of Henry Sinclair, 1st Earl of Orkney by his wife Jean, daughter of John Halyburton of Dirleton. Sinclair was one of those captured following the Battle of Homildon Hill, but released on ransom. He had succeeded his father by 1404, and was one of those who accompanied James Duke of Rothesay on his journey to France aboard the Maryenknyght, which was captured by English pirates off Flamborough Head. He followed the prince into captivity, but was soon released.
Henry Sinclair died of influenza c. 1420.
In about 1407 he married Egidia Douglas, daughter of Sir William Douglas of Nithsdale and maternal granddaughter of King Robert II of Scotland.
- William Sinclair, 3rd Earl of Orkney
- Beatrix Sinclair, who married James Douglas, 7th Earl of Douglas.
- Sir Henry Sinclair, 2nd Earl Orkney1,2,3
- M, #3836, b. circa 1375, d. before 29 April 1418
- Father Henry Sinclair, 1st Earl Orkney, Lord Shetland d. 1404
- Mother Jean Haliburton
- Sir Henry Sinclair, 2nd Earl Orkney was born circa 1375. He married Egidia (Gilles) Douglas, daughter of Sir William Douglas, Lord Nithsdale and Egidia Stewart, before 17 November 1407; They had 1 son (Sir William, Earl of Orkney).2,3 Sir Henry Sinclair, 2nd Earl Orkney died before 29 April 1418 at of Rosslyn, Lothian, Scotland.2,3
- Family Egidia (Gilles) Douglas b. 1390, d. a 1438
- Beatrix St. Clair+ d. b 8 Feb 1463
- Sir William Sinclair, 3rd Earl of Orkney, 1st Earl Caithness, Lord Sinclair+ d. bt 7 Dec 1476 - 29 Mar 1482
- Elizabeth Sinclair+
- 1.[S552] Unknown author, Lineage and Ancestry of HRH Prince Charles by Paget, Vol. II, p. 320.
- 2.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. III, p. 562.
- 3.[S4] Douglas Richardson, Royal Ancestry, Vol. I, p. 639.
- From: http://our-royal-titled-noble-and-commoner-ancestors.com/p128.htm#i3836
- Henry Sinclair, 2nd Earl of Orkney1
- M, #108129, d. circa 1 February 1420/21
- Last Edited=9 Feb 2011
- Henry Sinclair, 2nd Earl of Orkney was the son of Henry Sinclair, 1st Earl of Orkney and Jane Halyburton.1 He married Egidia Douglas, daughter of Sir William Douglas of Nithsdale and Egidia Stewart.2 He married Egidia Douglas, daughter of Sir William Douglas of Nithsdale and Egidia Stewart, on 17 November 1407.3 He died circa 1 February 1420/21.3
- He was also known as Henry St. Clair.2 He was Guardian to Prince James, afterwards King James I of Scotland.3 He succeeded to the title of 2nd Earl of Orkney [S., 1379] circa 1404.2
- Children of Henry Sinclair, 2nd Earl of Orkney and Egidia Douglas
- 1.Beatrice Sinclair+4,3 d. b 8 Feb 1462/63
- 2.William Sinclair, 1st Earl of Caithness+5 b. c 1405, d. b 21 May 1480
- 1.[S6] G.E. Cokayne; with Vicary Gibbs, H.A. Doubleday, Geoffrey H. White, Duncan Warrand and Lord Howard de Walden, editors, The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain and the United Kingdom, Extant, Extinct or Dormant, new ed., 13 volumes in 14 (1910-1959; reprint in 6 volumes, Gloucester, U.K.: Alan Sutton Publishing, 2000), volume X, page 95. Hereinafter cited as The Complete Peerage.
- 2.[S11] Alison Weir, Britain's Royal Families: The Complete Genealogy (London, U.K.: The Bodley Head, 1999), page 225. Hereinafter cited as Britain's Royal Families.
- 3.[S37] Volume 1, page 642. See link for full details for this source. Hereinafter cited as. [S37]
- 4.[S6] Cokayne, and others, The Complete Peerage, volume IV, page 435.
- 5.[S37] See. [S37]
- From: http://thepeerage.com/p10813.htm#i108129
Sir Henry Sinclair, 2nd Earl of Orkney's Timeline
Orkney, Orkney, United Kingdom
November 17, 1407
Roslin, Midlothian, Scotland
February 1, 1420
Roslin, Midlothian, Scotland, United Kingdom