Henry Sinclair, Bishop of Ross
|Managed by:||Alisdair James Smyth|
Matching family tree profiles for Henry Sinclair, Bishop of Ross
About Henry Sinclair, Bishop of Ross
Wikipedia Biographical Summary
Henry Sinclair (1508–1565), lord-president of the court of session and bishop of Ross.
Henry Sinclair was brother of Oliver Sinclair. He studied at St. Leonard's College, St. Andrews and was appointed lord of session in 1537. In 1541 he was named abbot or perpetual commendator of the abbey of Kilwinning. He was the negotiator of a peace treaty between Flanders and Scotland in 1548 and was appointed dean of Glasgow in 1550. Between 1550 and 1554 he was in France. He was a commissioner for the Treaty of Carlisle in 1556, and for that of Upsettlington in 1559. He was appointed President of the Court of Session, and Bishop of Ross. In 1561 he became a member of Queen Mary's privy council. Denounced by John Knox, he maintained a neutral religious attitude. He wrote additions to Boece's History of Scotland. Sinclair died at Paris in January 1565.
Henry Sinclair was the second son of Sir Oliver Sinclair of Roslin, and brother of Oliver Sinclair, general at Solway Moss, and of John Sinclair (died 1566), bishop of Brechin. Henry was born in 1508. He studied at the University of St. Andrews, being incorporated in St. Leonard's College in 1521. Having gained the special favour of James V, he was admitted on 13 November 1537 an ordinary lord of session. On 16 December of the same year he obtained the rectory of Glasgow from Archbishop Dunbar; in 1541 he was named abbot or perpetual commendator of the abbey of Kilwinning; and in 1550 he exchanged this office with Gavin Hamilton for the deanery of Glasgow.
SOURCE: Wikipedia contributors, 'Henry Sinclair (bishop)', Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia, 6 August 2012, 00:06 UTC, <http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Henry_Sinclair_(bishop)&oldid=505987229> [accessed 30 November 2012]
- An Historical Account of the Senators of the College of Justice: From Its Institution in MDXXXII; by George Brunton, David Haig; 1832; Page 58