About Herbert Gifford Harvey
Ireland, Births and Baptisms, 1620-1911
- Name: Herbert Gifford Harvey
- Gender: Male
- Birth Date: 4 Feb 1878
- Birth Place: Antrim, Antrim, Ireland
- Father's Name: James Thompson Harvey
- Mother's Name: Elizabeth Garston Harvey Gifford
- FHL Film Number: 255997
- Ancestry.com. Ireland, Births and Baptisms, 1620-1911 [database on-line]. Provo, UT: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2011.
- Original data: Ireland Births and Baptisms, 1620–1911. Index. Salt Lake City, Utah: Family Search.
educated at Portora Royal School in Enniskillen.
He volunteered to serve in the Anglo-Boer War and joined the 46th Company Imperial Yeomanry. He earned the Queen's Medal with three clasps and the King's Medal with one clasp.
Mr Herbert Gifford Harvey
- Born: Sunday 3rd February 1878
- Age: 34 years
- Marital Status: Single.
- Last Residence: at 49 Obelisk Road Woolston Hampshire England
- Occupation: Junior Assistant 2nd. Engineer
- Last Ship: Olympic
- Engine crew
- First Embarked: Belfast
- Died in the sinking.
- Body Not Recovered
Born in Belfast on February 3rd, 1878, being the son of the late Mr. J. Thompson Harvey, of Messrs. Lawther and Harvey, ship owners, Belfast. He was educated at the Belfast Royal Academy and Portora Royal School, Enniskillen, and his apprenticeship was served in the locomotive works of the old Belfast and Northern Counties Railway, (now a branch of the Midland Railway). At the call for volunteers during the South African War in 1899 he was one of the first to join the 46th Company Imperial Yeomanry, with whom he was in the Lindley disaster* and afterwards being attached to one of the regular regiments, he was in several engagements, gaining the Queen's Medal with three clasps and King's medal with one clasp.
On his return from South Africa he spent some time with the shore staff of Messrs. Harland & Wolff, Ltd., and then joined Messrs. Lawther, Latta & Co., managing owners for the Nitrate Producers Steamship Co., Ltd., serving with this company for eighteen months, and leaving their vessel the Juanita North to join the White Star Line.
He was appointed assistant third engineer of the White Star Line Teutonic in 1907, becoming later assistant second engineer. In the Olympic he was assistant third engineer, being later transferred to the Titanic as junior assistant second. He held a first class certificate. Mr. Harvey was a Freemason and engaged to be married.
- Lindley disaster. Lindley was a town in South Africa named after Daniel Lindley, (1801-1888) who was the American son of the president of Philadelphia College and who went to South Africa in 1833, being ordained in the Dutch Reformed Church in 1843.
The town was the centre of Boer resistance in The Orange Free State. The Boers were driven out of the town by the British in May or June 1900. Once the town had been cleared they realised that it was not of any great importance anyway and abandoned it shortly afterwards. Later, the Boers moved back in. It all seems to have been rather a waste of time as there were heavy casualties on both sides.
Acknowledgements Denis Griffiths, UK Brian Ticehurst, UK
"By 12:45, Boiler 5 was almost empty of her crewmen, but the valiant remaining crewmen still worked to keep back the green seawater. While running from one area of the room to another, Junior Assistant 2nd Engineer Jonathan Shepard slipped and fell down an empty manhole, breaking his leg. Junior 2nd Engineer Herbert G. Harvey and Firemen Frederick Barrett ran to help him, dragging him up from the darkness of the manhole, putting his dirtied and injured body in the Pump Room, where he sat against a wall, watching the others work. Suddenly, a nearby bulkhead seemed to explode, and the sea rushed in on the crewmen. Shepard could not move out of the way of the emerging sea and was engulfed in the surf. Harvey ordered Barrett to get up on deck. Barrett reached the deck safety and was saved, but he would always remember that as he made his way up the ladder, Barrett took one look back, seeing Harvey making his way into the Pump Room to help his friend Shepard. The farther he went towards the room, the deeper the water became. Soon it rushed over his head, and Herbert Harvey disappeared under the green water."
Boer War Record
- Private No. 9369
Unit 46 Company (Belfast) 13 Battalion Imperial Yeomanry [Wo128] Qsa Clasps: Cc,Ofs,T,Sa01 Prisoner - Released On 31 May 1900 At Lindley (Official Casualty Roll Location: Lindley)
Source - South African Field Force. Jb Hayward & Sons
[2726: 2753-2755] A Town In The Orange Free State (Lindley District; Free State), 60 Km North East Of Bethlehem.
The Town And District Furnished A Commando For The Boer Forces (Cmdt E.R. Grobler, Cmdt P.D. De Wet). During The British Advance To Pretoria, The Orange Free State Commandos Retired With The Government In The Direction Of Lindley On The Fall Of Kroonstad On 12 May 1900. For A Few Days Lindley Became The Seat Of The Orange Free State Government. The British Right Flank Was Then Ordered To March Northwards From Lindley Through Heilbron*. Lindley Was Occupied On 17 May By Maj-Gen R.G. Broadwood'S 2Nd Cavalry Brigade After A Short Skirmish With The Garrison Of 50 Burghers. It Was, However, Abandoned On 20 May And Thereafter Changed Hands Several Times.
The 13Th Imperial Yeomanry Entered The Town On 27 May, But Soon Retired To A Defensive Position Northwest Of The Town Where They Were Forced To Surrender. Between 17 May And 1 June, The Town Changed Hands Seven Times. In Early June, Veg-Gen P.D. De Wet Came Into Lindley To Discuss Terms Of Surrender With Lt-Gen Lord Methuen. On 5 June Maj-Gen A.H. Paget Was Left At Lindley To Garrison The Town And Was Immediately Invested By P.D. De Wet, Asst Chief Cmdt A.M. Prinsloo And 700 Burghers Of The Bethlehem Commando Under Field Cornet N.W. Serfontein And Later By Cmdt D.J.S. Theron Until The End Of The Month.
During One Attack On 26 June Pte C.Ward, 2Nd The King'S Own (Yorkshire Light Infantry), Was Awarded The Victoria Cross For Taking Messages Under Heavy Fire Seeking Reinforcements. By October 1900, A Garrison Had Been Established From Which Mobile Patrols Searched The Surrounding Countryside And The Town Was Used As A Staging Post For The Numerous Sweeps Through The District Until The End Of The War. Hmg Iii Pp.61, 114, 121-126, 137-138, 227 And 447 (Map No.38), Iv P.702 (Map No.64); Times Iv Pp.123, 127, 128, 254-257 And 302-304, (Map Facing P.256); Wilson Ii Pp.642 And 698 (Photograph).