About Hester Zacharias, b2
- Reference Mansell Upham 'What can't be cured, must be endured … Cape of Good Hope - first marriages & baptisms (1652-1665)'
"Hester Jans: van de Caep born Robben Island (c. 1662-?);
free-born halfslag infant of Jan Sachariasz: / Zachariasz: (from Amsetrdam) & wife Maria van Bengale;
- accompanied father & sister Maria to Mauritius;
- married Mauritius Gerrit Jansz: (from Ewijk);
- accused of adultery & committing fornication with their slave,
- arrested & sent to Cape where she was put on trial & sentenced (14 September 1691) to 5 years hard labour in chains at public works;
- muster rolls list her future (but later estranged) husband as neighbour or housemate to Armozijn the elder (1690 & 1695)."