Hugh's Top Matches
About Hugh Montgomerie
From Darryl Lundy's Peerage page on Hugh Montgomerie:
Hugh Montgomerie, 5th Earl of Eglinton 
- M, #21507,
- b. 1584,
- d. 4 September 1612
- Last Edited=24 Mar 2011
- Consanguinity Index=0.11%
Hugh Montgomerie, 5th Earl of Eglinton was born in 1584.
A contract for the marriage of Hugh Montgomerie, 5th Earl of Eglinton and Margaret Montgomerie was signed circa 3 May 1604. He and Margaret Montgomerie were separated in June 1608.
He died on 4 September 1612, without issue.
He was the son of Hugh Montgomerie, 4th Earl of Eglinton and Giles Boyd.,
- He succeeded to the title of 6th Lord Montgomerie [S., 1445] in April 1586.
- He succeeded to the title of 5th Earl of Eglinton [S., 1507] in April 1586.
- He bought the monastic Barony of Kilwinning in 1594.
- He was contracted to marry Gabriela, daughter of the 1st Duke of lennox, but she became a nun.
- On 28 November 1611 he resigned the Earldom and lands of Eglinton to the Crown for Charter of novodamus, which united the territorial lordship and barony of Kilwinning with the territorial Earldom of Eglinton, in favour of himself and with remainder to his cousin, Sir Alexander Seton of Foulstruther.
- His marriage to Margaret Montgomerie was annulled on 11 March 1612.
- 1. [S6] G.E. Cokayne; with Vicary Gibbs, H.A. Doubleday, Geoffrey H. White, Duncan Warrand and Lord Howard de Walden, editors, The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain and the United Kingdom, Extant, Extinct or Dormant, new ed., 13 volumes in 14 (1910-1959; reprint in 6 volumes, Gloucester, U.K.: Alan Sutton Publishing, 2000), volume II, page 262. Hereinafter cited as The Complete Peerage.
- 2. [S37] Charles Mosley, editor, Burke's Peerage, Baronetage & Knightage, 107th edition, 3 volumes (Wilmington, Delaware, U.S.A.: Burke's Peerage (Genealogical Books) Ltd, 2003), volume 1, page 1280. Hereinafter cited as Burke's Peerage and Baronetage, 107th edition.
- 3. [S6] Cokayne, and others, The Complete Peerage, volume V, page 19.