Historical records matching Irene (Rene) Harris
About Irene (Rene) Harris
Actress Rene Harris (born Irene Wallach) married Henry B. Harris in 189. She was injured in a fall on the staircase of the Titanic, but survived the sinking and lived until 1969. Her husband died in the disaster.
- Name: Mrs Irene Harris (née Wallach)
- Born: Thursday 15th June 1876
- Age: 35 years
- Married to Henry Birkhardt Harris.
- Last Residence: in New York City New York United States
- 1st Class passenger
- First Embarked: Southampton on Wednesday 10th April 1912
- Ticket No. 36973 , £83 9s 6d
- Cabin No.: C83
- Rescued (boat D)
- Disembarked Carpathia: New York City on Thursday 18th April 1912
- Died: Tuesday 2nd September 1969
Mrs Henry Birkhardt Harris (Irene Wallach), 36, was born 15th June, 1876. A resident of New York City boarded the Titanic at Southampton with her husband Henry Birkhardt Harris. They occupied cabin C-83 (ticket number36973).
Mrs Harris was rescued in Collapsible D. When she boarded the Carpathia she was accommodated in a cabin vacated by the artist Colin Campbell Cooper and his wife Emma. Mr Campbell would later record the rescue in two paintings.
Mrs Harris discovered after her husband's death that he was broke. After paying off his debts as best she could she attempted to continue his theatrical business. For a time she was successful but by the 1930s was living in comparative poverty. She remarried three times and died on 2nd September, 1969.
Travelling Companions (on same ticket)
- Mr Henry Birkhardt Harris
References and Sources
- New York Times, September 3, 1969, Obituary
- Michael A. Findlay, USA
- Phillip Gowan, USA
- Arthur Merchant, USA
Irene (Rene) Harris's Timeline
June 15, 1876
September 2, 1969