Matching family tree profiles for Isabel Bate
view all 15
About Isabel Bate (Shirley)
- Isabel Shirley1,2,3,4
- F, #84941, b. circa 1391, d. after 1459
- Father Sir Hugh Shirley, Constable of High Ferrers Park & Donington Castle, Grand Falconer of Ireland1,2,3,4 b. c 1362, d. 22 Jul 1403
- Mother Beatrix Brewes1,2,3,4 b. c 1366, d. 1440
- Isabel Shirley was born circa 1391 at of Shirley, Derbyshire, England.5 She married Sir John Cokayne, Sheriff of Nottinghamshire & Derbyshire, son of Sir Edmund Cokayne and Elizabeth Herthull, before 1422; They had 4 sons (John, Esq; William; Reginald; & Roger) and 2 daughters.1,2,3,4 Isabel Shirley died after 1459; She had married (2) Thomas Bate, Esq., of London.1,3,4
- Family Sir John Cokayne, Sheriff of Nottinghamshire & Derbyshire b. c 1381, d. 7 Jun 1438
- John Cokayne, Esq.+1,3,4 b. c 1422, d. 1504
- 1.[S5] Douglas Richardson, Plantagenet Ancestry, p. 224.
- 2.[S5] Douglas Richardson, Plantagenet Ancestry, p. 651.
- 3.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. I, p. 525.
- 4.[S4] Douglas Richardson, Royal Ancestry, Vol. III, p. 638.
- 5.[S61] Unknown author, Family Group Sheets, Family History Archives, SLC.
- From: http://our-royal-titled-noble-and-commoner-ancestors.com/p2827.htm#i84941
- Isabel Shirley1
- F, #326784
- Last Edited=24 Dec 2008
- Isabel Shirley is the daughter of Sir Hugh Shirley.1 She married Sir John Cokayne, son of Sir Edmund Cokayne and Elizabeth de Harthill.1
- Her married name became Cokayne.1
- 1.[S37] Volume 1, page 988. See link for full details for this source. Hereinafter cited as. [S37]
- From: http://thepeerage.com/p32679.htm#i326784
- COCKAYNE, Sir John (d.1438), of Ashbourne, Derbys. and Pooley, Warws.
- 2nd s. but event. h. of Edmund Cockayne (d.1403) of Ashbourne by Elizabeth, da. and event. h. of Sir Richard Harthill† (d.1390) of Pooley. m. (1) Margaret, 1s. d.v.p., 1da.; (2) by 1422, Isabel (d. aft. 1459), da. of Sir Hugh Shirley*, 4s. 2da. Kntd. by Feb. 1388.
- From: http://www.historyofparliamentonline.org/volume/1386-1421/member/cockayne-sir-john-1438
- Stemmata Shirleiana
- . . "Of Sir Thomas Shirley I find nothing memorable but his death, which happened before the 36th of Edward III. and that by Isabel, his wife, he had issue Hugh."* This Isabel was the daughter of Ralph Basset of Drayton, and sister, and at length heiress, of Ralph the last Baron. She afterwards married John de Wodhull, son of John de Wodhull, knt. Baron of Wodhull, by whom she had two daughters. She remarried Sir Gerard III. de Braybroke, knt. . . . .
- The circumstance of Sir Hugh Shirley, only son of Sir Thomas, not being mentioned in the Inquistitions taken on the death of the last Ralph Lord Basset has appeared to some genealogist to cast a doubt on the legitimacy of Isabel Basset, Sir Hugh's mother.* The lands, however, referred to in the Inquisitions were, as Dugdale observes, otherwise settled by an old entail, Sir Hugh merely succeeding to the property whereof his uncle was seised in fee. See the curious socuments in the Appendix, which appear to set this matter at res.T (App. LXXXIII. LXXXIV.)
- * For the legitimacy of Isabel Basset, see Collectanea Topog. and Genealog. vol. vii. pp. 256, 392. See also Nicolas's Synopsis of the Peerage, vol. i. p. 43, and Beltz's Memorials of the Order of the Garter, p. 162 note.
- T See also Sir Egerton Brydges' edition of Collins's Peerage, article, "Earl Ferrers," where Isabel Basset's legitimacy is ably vindicated.
- Sir Hugh Shirley had with Beatrix Braose his wife the manors of Wistneston or Wiston, Ashurst, Chiltington, Sloghton, Hion, and Iringtham in sussex, and Wedonhill, in the parish of Amersham, in Buckinghamshire.
- He had issue, besides Ralph, his son and heir, Elizabeth, his eldest daughter, Joan, married to Robert Newmarch, and Isabella, who wedded Sir John Cockayne of Ashbourne, in Derbyshire, knt. . . . The youngest daughter of Sir Hugh Shirley was Nicholaia, who, with Elizabeth, died unmarried.
Isabel Bate's Timeline
Probably Shirley, Derbyshire, England