|Also Known As:||"Isabelle Stewart"|
|Death:||Died in Inchmurrin Island in Loch Lomond, Dumbartonshire, Scotland, (Present UK)|
Daughter of Donnchadh, 8th Earl of Lennox and Lady Helen Macdonald (Campbell)
|Occupation:||Countess of Lennox, Duchess of Albany, The Earl of Leno, r Isabel Stewart of Lennox|
|Managed by:||Private User|
About Isabella, Countess of Lennox
[John Stewart, 1st Seigneur d'Aubigny was NEVER MARRIED to her.]
Isabella, Countess of Lennox
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Isabella of Lennox was the ruler of Lennox, 1437–1458. As the wife of Murdoch Stewart, she was Duchess of Albany (1420–1425) as well.
Isabella was the daughter of Donnchadh, Earl of Lennox and Helena, the daughter of Sir Archibald Campbell.
Her father Duncan needed to create powerful links with the great Robert Stewart, who was the bastard son of King Robert II, and who ruled much of Scotland. In 1392, Duncan agreed to marry Isabella to Robert's son, Murdoch.
Murdoch and Isabella had at least five children:
Robert (d. 1421)
Walter (d. 1425)
Alasdair (d. 1425)
James/Seamas Mòr (d. 1451)
Isabel, who married Sir Walter Buchanan, 13th Laird Buchanan
After her father and sons Walter and Alasdair were executed in 1425, Isabella was forced to spend eight years as a royal hostage at Tantallon Castle. In 1437 she recovered her lands and title. In the next few years, although forced to govern her province from Loch Lomond, she issued a large numbers of charters, was popular in the province, and was tolerated by James II.
However, when she died in 1458, the oldest continuous Gaelic mormaerdom came to an end.
Brown, Michael, "Earldom and Kindred: The Lennox and Its Earls, 1200-1458" in Steve Boardman and Alasdair Ross (eds.) The Exercise of Power in Medieval Scotland, c.1200-1500, (Dublin/Portland, 2003), pp. 201-224
- 'Isabel Lennox1,2
- 'F, #6493, d. between 1456 and 25 June 1460
- Father Sir Duncan, 8th Earl Lennox2 b. 1345, d. 25 May 1425
- Mother Ellen (Helen) Campbell2 d. bt 1434 - 1447
- ' Isabel Lennox was born at of Inchmurrin in Loch Lomond, Scotland. She married Murdoch Stewart, 2nd Duke Albany, son of Sir Robert Stewart, Duke of Albany, Earl Menteith, Fife, Buchan, Atholl and Margaret Graham, on 17 February 1392; Date of indenture. They had 3 sons (Sir Walter of Lennox, Fife, & Menteith; James; & Sir Alexander).3,2 Isabel Lennox and Murdoch Stewart, 2nd Duke Albany obtained a marriage license on 9 June 1392; Date of dispensation as his 2 wives were related in the 4th degree of consanguinity.3,2 Isabel Lennox died between 1456 and 25 June 1460 at Inchmurrin Castle, Loch Lomond, Scotland.2
- 'Family Murdoch Stewart, 2nd Duke Albany b. c 1362, d. 25 May 1425
- Sir Alexander Stewart4,3,2 d. 25 May 1425
- Robert Stewart, Master of Fife5 d. b Jul 1421
- Sir James 'the Gross' Stewart, Master of Lennox+6,3,2 d. 1451
- Sir Walter Stewart, Master of Fife, Lennox, & Menteith+2 b. c 1396, d. 24 May 1425
- (Miss) Stewart b. c 1405
- 1.[S1687] Unknown author, The Complete Peerage, by Cokayne, Vol. I, p. 79.
- 2.[S4] Douglas Richardson, Royal Ancestry, Vol. I, p. 619-620.
- 3.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. III, p. 543.
- 4.[S11563] The Scots Peerage, Vol. I, edited by Sir James Balfour Paul, p. 150-151.
- 5.[S11563] The Scots Peerage, Vol. I, edited by Sir James Balfour Paul, p. 150.
- 6.[S11563] The Scots Peerage, Vol. I, edited by Sir James Balfour Paul, p. 151.
- From: http://our-royal-titled-noble-and-commoner-ancestors.com/p216.htm#i6493
- 'Isabel of Lennox, Countess of Lennox1,2
- 'F, #107951, b. circa 1370, d. circa 1458
- Last Edited=6 Oct 2012
- ' Isabel of Lennox, Countess of Lennox was born circa 1370.3 She was the daughter of Duncan, 8th Earl of Lennox and Helen Campbell.3 She married Murdoch Stewart, 2nd Duke of Albany, son of Robert Stewart, 1st Duke of Albany and Margaret Graham, Countess of Menteith, from 17 February 1391/92 to 8 November 1392.3 She died circa 1458 at Inchmurrin Castle, Loch Lomond, Scotland, without surviving issue.4
- ' She was also known as Elizabeth of.3 Her married name became Stewart. As a result of her marriage, Isabel of Lennox, Countess of Lennox was styled as Duchess of Albany on 3 September 1420.4 She gained the title of Countess of Lennox on 12 May 1437, suo jure.3
- 'Children of Isabel of Lennox, Countess of Lennox and Murdoch Stewart, 2nd Duke of Albany
- 1.Lady Isabella Stewart5
- 2.Robert Stewart, Master of Fife3 b. bt 1393 - 1407, d. bt 1416 - 1421
- 3.Walter Stewart, Master of Fife+3 b. bt 1394 - 1410, d. 24 May 1425
- 4.Sir Alexander Stewart5 b. bt 1395 - 1410, d. 25 May 1425
- 5.Sir James Stewart, 1st of Baldorran+5 b. bt 1395 - 1426, d. b 18 May 1451
- 1.[S16] Jirí Louda and Michael MacLagan, Lines of Succession: Heraldry of the Royal Families of Europe, 2nd edition (London, U.K.: Little, Brown and Company, 1999), table 13. Hereinafter cited as Lines of Succession.
- 2.[S6] G.E. Cokayne; with Vicary Gibbs, H.A. Doubleday, Geoffrey H. White, Duncan Warrand and Lord Howard de Walden, editors, The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain and the United Kingdom, Extant, Extinct or Dormant, new ed., 13 volumes in 14 (1910-1959; reprint in 6 volumes, Gloucester, U.K.: Alan Sutton Publishing, 2000), volume I, page 7. Hereinafter cited as The Complete Peerage.
- 3.[S11] Alison Weir, Britain's Royal Families: The Complete Genealogy (London, U.K.: The Bodley Head, 1999), page 217. Hereinafter cited as Britain's Royal Families.
- 4.[S6] Cokayne, and others, The Complete Peerage, volume I, page 78.
- 5.[S11] Alison Weir, Britain's Royal Families, page 218.
- From: http://www.thepeerage.com/p10796.htm#i107951
Isabella, Countess of Lennox's Timeline
February 17, 1392
Lennox, Dunbartonshire, Scotland, United Kingdom
Falkland Castle, Fifeshire, Scotland
Loch Ard, Aberfoyle, Perthshire, Scotland
Lennox, Fifeshire, Scotland
Inchmurrin Island in Loch Lomond, Dumbartonshire, Scotland, (Present UK)