Jacobus Willem Adriaan Nell, SV1b8c1d3e3f1g1
|Birthplace:||Achterveld, Calvinia, Cape Colony (South Africa)|
|Death:||Died in South Africa|
|Place of Burial:||Kakamas, Benede Oranje, Northern Cape, South Africa|
Son of Jan Abraham Nel, SV1b8c1d3e3f1 and Anna Hendrina Helena Maria (Wilhelmina) Visagie, b1c5d8e3f3
|Managed by:||Daniel Jacobus Botes|
Matching family tree profiles for Jacobus Willem Adriaan Nell, SV1b8c1d3e3f1g1
About Jacobus Willem Adriaan Nell, SV1b8c1d3e3f1g1
Source: Lee Cahill, 15 September 2012 (Last updated 16 March 2013)
Collaborators: If you'd like to add to these notes, please do so in a separate section below as I'd like to preserve the integrity of my original notes. Thanks.
ANOMALIES IN THIS RECORD ARE BEING INVESTIGATED.
- The only information I have from my mother (Gloria Cahill) about her great-grandfather (my great-great grandfather) is that his name was Jacobus Willem Adriaan Nell and that he was married in Kakamas.
- I've managed to find several records for a Jacobus Willem Adriaan Nel (spelt with either one or two 'l's):
- The first of these records is for a Jacobus Willem Adriaan Nell, found on a family tree on Ancestry24.co.za (http://ancestry24.com/search-item/?id=FT459620). The only information given here is that he was married to a Jacoba Hendrika Nell (born Louw). Another record on the same tree (http://ancestry24.com/search-item/?id=FT459616) indicates that the names of his parents were Jacobus Adriaan Nell and Catharina Maria Sophia Nell (born Beukes).
- Another record in a MyHeritage family tree found on WorldVitalRecords (http://www.worldvitalrecords.com/person/Jacobus-Willem-Adriaan-Nel/128846532-8209809(DF) is an entry for a Jacobus Willem Adriaan Nel, who was married on 19 February 1863 (note that the spellings 'Nel' and 'Nell' seem to be interchangeable in the ancestral record). As I estimate my ancestor's birth date to have been 1835 - 1840, this marriage date is within the correct timeframe. The marriage record, however, indicates that he was married in Calvinia and not Kakamas, although the two towns aren't that far from each other in the Northern Cape (then the Cape Colony). The name of the wife given in this record is again Jacoba Hendrika Louw. As my great-grandfather, who could have been their child, was born in 1865 and was named Jacobus Hendrik Louw Nell, I feel there's a high probablity that this record refers to my ancestors, especially as the name of Jacoba Henrika's father was Jacobus Hendrik Louw. I've therefore based the name of Jacobus Willem Adriaan's wife and all genealogical information related to him on this assumption. The names of two of their children given here are Jacobus Adriaan Nel (1877 - 1964) and Jacoba Hendrika Nel (1885 - 1982). There is an anomaly between this record and the record above, though, in that here the name of JWA Nel's father is given as Jan Abraham Nel
- A search of the NAAIS database of the National Archives delivered no results for a JWA Nell, but did deliver a number of resuts for a JWA Nel. One records the filing of the will of a Maria Catharina Louw, wife of Jacobus Willem Adriaan Nel (http://www.national.archsrch.gov.za/sm300cv/smws/sm30ddf0?2012120217243337F15085). The will is dated 1848 and it was filed in 1856. Another document records the will of of a Magteld Elizabeth Nel (born va der Merwe), wife of a JWA Nel. The will is dated 1837 and it was filed in 1842 (http://www.national.archsrch.gov.za/sm300cv/smws/sm30ddf0?2012120217264337F15085). This suggests that she was possibly a first wife and that Maria Catharina was a second wife. The dates and names of the spouses suggest that this might have been my JWA Nel/Nell's father. Several documents record mortage bonds taken out by a JWA Nel in 1895, 1903, 1909, the last with one Nicolaas Cornelias Nel.
- Another record for a Jacobus Willem Adriaan Nel appears in a MyHeritage family tree on WorldVitalRecords: http://www.worldvitalrecords.com/person/Jacobus-Willem-Adriaan-Nel/148888701-1004582(AF). This record, however, gives the name of the mother as Magteld Elizabeth (Magdalena) Nel (born van der Merwe). The place of birth is given as Clanwilliam in the Northern Cape Colony, and the date of birth is given as 6 March 1838.
- The only other similar record I've been able to find is for a Willem Jacobus Adriaan Nel, married in Kakamas on 28 July 1919 to Maria Louisa Andriesa Burger (b. 1899). In this record, the birth date of Willem Jacobus is given as 1895. This would make him a contemporary of my grandmother, Maria Petronella Wallace (nee Nell) (1904 - 1990). He may therefore be a child from Jacobus Hendrik Louw Nell's first marriage (prior to the Anglo-Boer War), and therefore my grandmother's half brother.
Added by Daan Botes:
SAG vol 6 p179: Jacobus Willem Adriaan Nel (19) v. Agterveld x Calvinia 19.2.1863 Jacoba Hendrika LOUW
SAG 5A p 331 g8 Jacoba Hendrika (LOUW) * 7.2.1849 † dist. Herbert 5.6.1885 x Calvinia 19.2.1863 Jacobus Willem Adriaan NEL (19) (Jan Abraham-sn)
SAG vol 6 p179:
e3 Jacobus Willem Adriaan ≈ 25.11.1798 † Titusfontein 3.5.1856 x Tulbagh 5.3.1820 Magteld Elisabeth VAN DER MERWE xx Worcester 14.2.1843 Maria Catharina LOUW wed. v. A.C. Vlok
f1 Jan Abraham ≈ 16.3.1822 † Calvinia 6.10.1877 (55.9.25) x Anna Hendrina Helena Maria NN
f2 Anna Louisa * 21.9.1823 ≈ Tulbagh 22.2.1824
f3 Willem Schalk * 16.7.1825 ≈ Worcester
f4 Catharina Elisabeth * 28.6.1827 ≈ Worcester 12.9.1827
f? Jacobus Willem Adriaan * 6.3.1838 ≈ Clanwilliam
e4 Maria ≈ 19.4.1801 x Tulbagh 8.6.1817 Willem VISAGIE ≈ 17.11.1795
e5 Elisabeth * 10.11.1802 ≈ Tulbagh 16.10.1803 x Tulbagh 6.12.1818 Petrus VAN DER MERWE
e6 Rachel Anna Johanna * 26.10.1807 ≈ Tulbagh 24.11.1807
e7 Joachim Carel Stephanus * 6.8.1810 ≈ Tulbagh 31.3.1811 x Tulbagh 2.12.1827 Anna Catharina Elisabeth VAN WYK
f? Johannes Jacobus * 5.4.1833 ≈ Clanwilliam
Jacobus Willem Adriaan Nell, SV1b8c1d3e3f1g1's Timeline
January 6, 1844
Calvinia, Cape Colony (South Africa)
February 19, 1863
Calvinia, Namakwa, Cape Colony (South Africa)
June 8, 1864
November 21, 1865
Cape Colony (South Africa)
April 13, 1872
October 5, 1873
Calvinia, Namakwa, Northern Cape, South Africa
August 19, 1875