Jacques's Top Matches
About Jacques Theron, SV/PROG
Jacques Therond ( now spelled Theron) came to SA on board the "Oosterland" as a soldier in 1688.
He became a free "burgher" on 31 May 1688.
He was the owner of the farm "Languerdoc, Heemraad.
Geslagregister van Vroeë Kaapse families - C C de Villiers
Groot Familie Naamboek - Cor Pama
Transcribed from PROCEEDINGS OF THE HUGUENOT SOCIETY OF LONDON, Volume 5, No. 1-4, 1894-1896, Printed by Charles T. King, High Street, Lymington, 1898 NOTES ON HUGUENOT FAMILIES AT THE CAPE OF GOOD HOPE BY THE LATE C. C. DE VILLIERS, ESQ. (From Copy Presented by W. J. C. Moens, Esq., F.S.A.), pp. 222-250 http://www.genealogyworld.net/ellen/NotesonHuguenotFamilies.htm
THEROND, Jacques, in Distribution list 1690, and among Drakenstein Burghers 1692. There is a copy of a letter in the Grey Library from Jacques THEROND, dated 2nd April 1719, from Nimes the capital of Languedoc, and addressed to his son Jacques Therond the refugee. The farm owned by the latter at the Cape was called ‘Languedoc.’ Jacques THEROND, the refugee, married Marie Janne DES PREEZ. First child born 1698. Where the wife’s name is given in the Drakenstein Baptismal entries it is written ‘DE PRE’ or DE PRET,’ according to Theal. Numerous descendants still living, writing their name now simply ‘THERON’ without the ‘d.’
Jacques Therond, Van Nimes, Languedoc, Frankryk.
Kom in Kaap aan in 1688 op die skip Oosterland (soldaat). Eienaar van Plaas Languedoc
Marie Jeanne DES PRES (DU PREEZ)
Maria (DP 990) Marie (DP 971) THERON+
Jacques THERON 1
Born: Nîmes, Languedoc, Frankryk.
Marriage: Marie Jeanne DES PRES (DU PREEZ) 1697
Died: 2 Dec 1739, Drakenstein
Aankoms 1688 op die skip "Oosterlandt". Soldaat, burger 31 Mei 1688, eienaar van die plaas "Languedoc". Heemraad.
Arrival 1688 on the "Oosterlandt". Soldier, burger 31 May 1688, owner of the farm "Languedoc". Heemraad.
Jacques married Marie Jeanne DES PRES (DU PREEZ) in 1697. (Marie Jeanne DES PRES (DU PREEZ) was born in Béthune..)
1 C. C. de Villiers, hersien deur, revised by, C. Parma, p. 971.
The Oosterlandt left Middelburg on the 29th January, 1688,
and reached Table Bay on the 26th April, 1688, after a
most successful voyage of two months and ten days.^ She
was a much larger built ship than the Voorschooten, measuring
one hundred and sixty feet. She brought out twenty-four
Refugees.' One of them was Jacques de Savoye of Aeth,
a wealthy merchant. Jean Prier du Plessis of Poitiers, who
had practised as a surgeon, and Isaac Taillefert of Chateau
Thierry, a hatmaker, were also on board ; they all brought
out their wives and children
Jacques of Nismes. Laiiguedoc, arrived in the
Oosterlandt in 1688 as a soldier in the Company's
service ; on 31st May, 1688, he became a free
burgher. He married Marie Jeanne des Pres
of Bethune, q.v., daughter of the Refugee
Hercule des Pres, and died 2nd December, 1739,
aged 71 years 6 months. Jacques Theron was
a member of the Court of Landdrost and Heem-
raden, and owned the farm Languedoc.
Jean Imbert, together with his friend Jacques Theron, arrived in the Cape as Huguenot refugees in 1688. Both came from the south of France, not far from the historic city of Montpellier , the birthplace of Jean according to some sources. It is therefore not surprising that Jean Imbert called his farm Montpellier, when the 50 morgen of fertile alluvial land was granted to him in 1714 by the then governor of the Cape, Maurits Pasques de Chavonnes. His friend Jacques Theron was granted the neighboring farm Le Rhône. In those early years, the farm was used exclusively for grazing cattle. The first vineyard was planted soon after a homestead was build by Jean and Jacques Theron, working together. This first vineyard, together with a fruit-tree orchard, was meant for domestic usage. Only in the late 1890's the first commercial vineyards was laid out on the farm.
Since the death of Jean Imbert in 1723, Montpellier had for a time many owners. In 1778 it was acquired by Jan Theron, a descendant of Jacques Theron. It later passed out of the Theron family's hands, but was reacquired in the 1880's by three Theron brothers, Hendrik, Jan and Gawie. The farm stayed in the Theron family for the next 100 years
Nicola Sophie Theron related in her Memoirs that: Jacques Therond came from Nismus in Lanquedoc, France. He frled from France on account of his religion. He first went to Holland and from there to Middleburg, South Africa. He sailed in the ship Oosterlandt, one of a convoy of three ships which left on 20th January 1688 and arrived at the Cape of Good Hope on 26th April 1699. This was the arrival of the first Hugenots.
Jacques was in the military service of the East India Company. On 21st May (year unknown) he was made a free citizen (vrye burger) at Klein Drakenstein. He married Marie Jeanne des Press (now du Preez). She was from Bethune in France and a daughter of Herculas du Preez and Cecilia D'Calis.
He died 2nd December 1739 on his farm Lanquedoc at the age of 70 years. They had 7 children. He was a Landdrost (member of the Heemraads Hof) as they called it in those days. He was also a steward in the Church of Drakenstein.
-------------------- He arrived in the Cape on the ship Oosterland'. He was a farmer and owned the farms Langedoc and le Rhone in the Stellenbosch district.
Jacques Theron, SV/PROG's Timeline
May 15, 1668
Nîmes, Gard, Languedoc-Roussillon, France
Nimes, Languedoc, France
January 29, 1688
- May 12, 1688
1.#Oosterland Middleburg 29 Jan 1688 Table Bay 12 May 1688
de Buiyse (du Buis, Buis,Buys) Jan Picardy - - Agriculturist - -
•Avicé Sara Chateaudun - - - - -
January 29, 1688
Cape, South Africa
Cape, South Africa
Kaap, Suid Afrika
June 7, 1705
South Africa, Cape
August 10, 1709