Matching family tree profiles for James Blount, 6th Baron Mountjoy
About James Blount
Family recorded in the Visitation of Dorsetshire, 1565
- James Blount, 6th Baron Mountjoy, (c. 1533 – 1582) was an English peer.
- James Blount was born circa 1533 in Newport, Devon, the eldest son of Charles Blount, 5th Baron Mountjoy (1516–1544) and Ann Willoughby. He inherited his title on the death of his father. He was made a Knight of the Bath at the coronation of Queen Mary (29 September 1553); and was Lord Lieutenant of Dorset in 1559.
- He was one of the commissioners who tried the Duke of Norfolk (1572), and spent the fortune of his family in the pursuit of alchemy. Sir William Cecil encouraged him in the manufacture of alum and copperas between 1566 and 1572.
- Blount also had a reputation as a supporter of Protestantism, in line with that of his father and grandfather. Henry Bennet lauded him in 1561, mentioning also his patronage of Eliseus Bomelius, and the same year Jean Veron dedicated to him an anti-papal tract.
- He married on 17 May 1558 Catherine Leigh, daughter of Thomas Leigh of St. Oswalds. They had 5 children, William, Charles, Christopher, Ann and Edward.
- On his death on 10 October 1582 in Hook, Dorset the title passed to his eldest son William Blount, 7th Baron Mountjoy.
- 1. Stephen, Leslie, ed. (1886). "Blount, Charles (d.1545)". Dictionary of National Biography 5. London: Smith, Elder & Co.
2. Carley, James P. "Blount, Charles". Oxford Dictionary of National Biography (online ed.). Oxford University Press. doi:10.1093/ref:odnb/2682. (subscription or UK public library membership required)
- 3. Bennell, John. "Bomelius, Eliseus". Oxford Dictionary of National Biography (online ed.). Oxford University Press. doi:10.1093/ref:odnb/2811. (subscription or UK public library membership required)
- From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Blount,_6th_Baron_Mountjoy
- James Blount
- M, #48647, b. circa 1537, d. 20 October 1581
- Father Charles Blount, 5th Lord Mountjoy b. 28 Jun 1516, d. 14 Oct 1544
- Mother Anne Willoughby b. c 1517, d. 24 Dec 1581
- James Blount was born circa 1537 at of Newport, Devonshire, England. He married Catherine Leigh, daughter of Thomas Leigh and Joan Cotton, on 17 May 1558 at Thurveston, Derbyshire, England. James Blount died on 20 October 1581 at Hook, Dorsetshire, England.
- Family Catherine Leigh b. c 1539
- Sir Christopher Blount b. c 1560, d. 18 Mar 1601
- James BLOUNT (6º B. Mountjoy)
- Born: ABT 1533, Newport, Devonshire, England
- Died: 20 Oct 1582/3, Hook, Dorset, England
- Father: Charles BLOUNT (5° B. Mountjoy)
- Mother: Anne WILLOUGHBY (B. Mountjoy)
- Married: Catherine LEIGH (b. 1539) (dau. of Thomas Leigh of St Oswalds and Joan Cotton) 17 May 1558, Thurveston, Derby, England
- 1. William BLOUNT (7º B. Mountjoy)
- 2. Charles BLOUNT (1º E. Devonshire)
- 3. Christopher BLOUNT (Sir)
- 4. Anne BLOUNT
- 5. Edward BLOUNT (Mountjoy's servant & F.F. publisher?)
- From: http://our-royal-titled-noble-and-commoner-ancestors.com/p1618.htm#i48647
- BLOUNT, Charles (1563-1606), of Canford Magna, Dorset and Wanstead, Essex.
- b. 1563, 2nd s. of James, 6th Lord Mountjoy, by Catherine, da. of Thomas Lee of St. Oswalds, Yorks. educ.Winchester scholar 1573; Oxf.; Clifford’s Inn; M. Temple 1579. m. 26 Dec. 1605, Lady Penelope Devereux (d. 7 July 1607), da. of Walter Devereux, 1st Earl of Essex, div. w. of Robert Rich, 3rd Baron Rich, 2s. 2da. all illegit. 1 posth. ch. Kntd. 1587; KG 1597; suc. e. bro. as 8th Lord Mountjoy 1594; cr. Earl of Devonshire 1603.
- From: http://www.historyofparliamentonline.org/volume/1558-1603/member/blount-charles-1563-1606
James Blount, 6th Baron Mountjoy's Timeline
Newport, Devonshire, United Kingdom
May 17, 1558
Derby, United Kingdom
October 10, 1582
Dorset, United Kingdom