James Butler, Viscount Thurles
|Also Known As:||"1st Viscount of Thurle"|
|Place of Burial:||London, Greater London, England, United Kingdom|
Son of Thomas Butler, 10th Earl of Ormond and Elizabeth Butler
|Managed by:||Carole (Erickson) Pomeroy, Vol. ...|
Matching family tree profiles for James Butler, Viscount Thurles
About James Butler, Viscount Thurles
- James Butler, Viscount Thurles1
- M, #38588, b. 1584, d. before 1614
- Last Edited=8 Feb 2015
- Consanguinity Index=0.01%
- James Butler, Viscount Thurles was born in 1584.1 He was the son of Thomas Butler, 10th Earl of Ormonde and Hon. Elizabeth Sheffield.1 He died before 1614, without issue.1
- He was styled as Viscount Thurles.1
- [S37] BP2003 volume 2, page 2808. See link for full details for this source. Hereinafter cited as. [S37]
- From: http://www.thepeerage.com/p3859.htm#i38588
- James BUTLER (1° V. Thurles)
- Born: 4 Sep 1583
- Christened: 21 Sep 1583, Carrick
- Died: 1589
- Buried: Westminster Abbey, London, England
- Father: Thomas Dubh BUTLER (10° E. Ormonde)
- Mother: Elizabeth SHEFFIELD (C. Ormonde)
- From: http://www.tudorplace.com.ar/BUTLER.htm#James BUTLER (1° V. Thurles)
- Sir Thomas Butler, 10th Earl of Ormonde, 3rd Earl of Ossory, Viscount Thurles, Knight of the Garter (Gaeilic; Tomás Dubh de Buitléir, Iarla Urmhamhan)(c. 1531 – 22 November 1614), was an Irish peer and the son of James Butler, 9th Earl of Ormond and Lady Joan Fitzgerald daughter and heiress-general of James FitzGerald, 10th Earl of Desmond. He was Lord Treasurer of Ireland and a very prominent personage during the latter part of the 16th century.
- .... etc.
- He first married Elizabeth Berkeley, daughter of Thomas Berkeley, 6th Baron Berkeley and Anne Savage. They separated in 1564 without issue.
- He then married Elizabeth Sheffield on 9 November 1582 at London. She was the daughter of John Sheffield, 2nd Baron Sheffield and Douglas, daughter of William Howard, 1st Baron Howard of Effingham. They had three children:
- James Butler, (b. 4 September 1583, died 1589)
- Elizabeth Butler (before 1593- 1628), married, firstly, her first cousin Theobald Butler, Viscount Butler of Tulleophelim, son of Sir Edmund Butler of Cloughgrenan and Hon. Eleanor Eustace, without issue. Her father Thomas, had executed her husband's two elder brothers for treason in 1596. She married, secondly, Richard Preston, Baron Dingwall, and had one daughter, Elizabeth Preston.
- Thomas Butler (before 1601- 1606)
- In 1601 he married Helena Barry, daughter of David Fitz-James de Barry, 5th Viscount Buttevant, without issue.
- The Earl also had an illegitimate son, Piers FitzThomas Butler of Duisk who married Catherine Fleming, by whom he had a son, Edward Butler, 1st Viscount Galmoye.
- As the Earl died without legally recognised male issue, the Earldom reverted in the male line, to the junior branch of the family through his brother John Butler of Kilcash.
- From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Butler,_10th_Earl_of_Ormond