|Death:||Died in London, England|
|Place of Burial:||St Bride's Fleet Street, London, England|
|Occupation:||Master Goldsmith and Banker, Citizen and Clothworker of London|
|Managed by:||Private User|
About James Heriott
From at least 1644 until his death he lived and worked at The Naked Boy, Fleet Street, London, in St Bride's Parish on the north side of the street at the foot of the Fleet Bridge. (This area was devastated during the Great Fire of London in 1666, but it appears that the family survived and returned.) Apprenticed to Jasper Haywarton as a Clothworker in 1648 and made Free in 1655. He was goldsmith to the Earl of Essex in 1682 and held property in St Martin's in the Fields. He was Fined for Master (excused service) by the Clothworkers' Company in 1702 and wrote his will on 13 September 1704. He is buried in the chancel of St Bride's Fleet Street.
A "cozen" of Sir Charles Harbord, Kt., Surveyor-General, who mentions James and James' (half-)sister Katherine Waterhouse (née Alman) in his will on 14 May 1678. The connection between the two families has not yet been discovered, but could be through James' wife Mary, about whose origins nothing has been found. Sir Charles' two sons, William (an MP) and Sir Charles (Jr) were godfathers to James' sons William and Charles, respectively, and James' third son was named Harbord Heriott. James' son Charles travelled extensively throughout Europe with William Harbord in the early 1690s and witnessed his will on 20 November 1691.