Matching family tree profiles for James Law, Baron of Brunton, Bishop of Glasgow
About James Law, Baron of Brunton, Bishop of Glasgow
James Law, born about 1561, son of John L. of Spittal, portioner of Lathrisk, Fife, and Margaret Strang of the Balcaskie family, and brother of Andrew L., min. of Neilston ; educated at Univ. of St Andrews ; M.A. (1581) ; ord. to Kirkliston in 1585 [during his ministry here John Spottiswood (afterwards Archbishop), then min. of Calder, and L. were rebuked by the Synod of Lothian for playing football on Sunday] ; app. a royal chaplain in 1601 ; promoted to See of Orkney 28th Feb. 1605, but not consecrated till 1611 ; Moderator of Assembly 26th July 1608; app. to Archbishopric of Glasgow 20th July, and installed Aug. or Sept. 1615 ; died 12th Nov. 1632, and buried in his Cathedral, where a monument was erected by his widow. Monteith's translation of inscription says :
Archbishop Law, here in a homely dress, Was truly icore than what words can express : Witness his acts at Orkney : and beside His grand memoirs left on banks of Clyde, The college rents, the schools, the hospitals. The leaden covert 'bove the church's walls. Of this great man such monuments fair be. As will forbid his noble name to die : A good and spotless age did him attend Worthy a prelate to his blessed end.
He marr. (1) (cont. 20th July 1587), Marion, daugh. of James Dundas of Newliston, and had issue —
- Margaret (marr. Jan. 1612, Patrick Turner, min. of Dalkeith)
(2) Grizel (died July 1618), daugh. of Sir John Boswell of Balmuto, and had issue —
- James of Brunton, served heir 9th July 1634 ;
- Thomas, min. of Lichinnan ;
- George, M.A., adm. burgess of Glasgow 24th Sept. 1631 ;
- Isabella, bapt. 21st Jan. 1614 ;
- John ;
- Jean (marr. cont. 23rd and 28th March 1626, Walter Heriot, younger, of Ramornie)
(3) (cont. 1st Sept. 1620), Marion (died Nov. 1636), daugh. of John Boyle of Kelburne, and widow of Matthew Ross of Hanyng Ross.
SOURCE: Fasti ecclesiae scoticanae: the succession of ministers in the Church of Scotland from the reformation, Vol. VII, page 322