About James Monroe Speed, Sr.
Birth: May 14, 1818 Oconee County South Carolina, USA
Death: Dec. 25, 1896 Covington County Mississippi, USA
James Monroe Speed was the son of William Wages Speed Sr. & Sarah Lawrence & husband of Sarah Rogers.
Leaf River Baptist Church Minutes, Covington County, Mississippi:
 March 20: The committee appointed to draft resolutions in regard to the death of Bro. Speed then read the following, which was adopted and committee discharged:
We, your committee to prepare a notice of the death of Bro. J.M. Speed, Sr., beg leave to report that Bro. Speed was born in Pendleton District, South Carolina on 14th day of May, A.D. 1818: came to Covington Co., Miss. during boyhood; was married in the year 1838 to Miss Sarah Rogers who survives him. He joined this church and was baptized on the 13th day of February 1853, after which he appeared to grow in grace steadily until he was finally ripe for the glory into which he entered on the 25th day of Dec. 1896. We may truly say of him that, by the grace of God he was what he was. We mourn, but not as those who have no hope. Respectfully Submitted, G. H. Pond A. L. Robertson
Tombstone & church photographs courtesy of Carolyn Walker.
- William Wages Speed (1783 - 1833)
- Sarah Lawrence Speed (1783 - 1847)
- Sarah Rogers Speed (1819 - 1902)
- Sarah Elizabeth Speed Biglane (1841 - 1881)*
- James Monroe Speed (1842 - 1932)*
- George Washington Speed (1846 - 1942)*
- Joseph Wade Speed (1848 - 1913)*
- Benjamin Franklin Speed (1850 - 1908)*
- Martha Carolina Speed Keys (1852 - 1922)*
- John B. Speed (1854 - 1926)*
- Luther Terrell Speed (1857 - 1917)*
- Josephine Speed Knight (1860 - 1906)*
Burial: Leaf River Cemetery Collins Covington County Mississippi, USA
Created by: Melissa Speed Record added: Apr 26, 2006 Find A Grave Memorial# 14078582