About James Beag Stewart, 1st Laird of Baldorran
- 'James Stewart, 2nd of Baldorran1
- 'M, #3068, b. before 1451
- Last Edited=7 Oct 2012
- ' James Stewart, 2nd of Baldorran was born illegitimately before 1451.1 He was the son of Sir James Stewart, 1st of Baldorran and unknown Macdonald.1 He married Annabel Buchanan, daughter of Patrick Buchanan, 14th of that Ilk.2
- ' James Stewart, 2nd of Baldorran also went by the nick-name of Seumas Beg (or in English, Little James).2 He was the ancestor of the Stewarts of Ardvorlich.1
- 1.[S6] G.E. Cokayne; with Vicary Gibbs, H.A. Doubleday, Geoffrey H. White, Duncan Warrand and Lord Howard de Walden, editors, The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain and the United Kingdom, Extant, Extinct or Dormant, new ed., 13 volumes in 14 (1910-1959; reprint in 6 volumes, Gloucester, U.K.: Alan Sutton Publishing, 2000), volume I, page 78. Hereinafter cited as The Complete Peerage.
- 2.[S37] Charles Mosley, editor, Burke's Peerage, Baronetage & Knightage, 107th edition, 3 volumes (Wilmington, Delaware, U.S.A.: Burke's Peerage (Genealogical Books) Ltd, 2003), volume 2, page 2768. Hereinafter cited as Burke's Peerage and Baronetage, 107th edition.
- From: http://www.thepeerage.com/p307.htm#i3068
- Sir James 'the Gross' Stewart, Master of Lennox1,2,3,4
- M, #41395, d. 1451
- Father Murdoch Stewart, 2nd Duke Albany5,6 b. c 1362, d. 25 May 1425
- Mother Isabel Lennox1,5,6 d. bt 1456 - 25 Jun 1460
- Sir James 'the Gross' Stewart, Master of Lennox married (Miss) MacDonald, daughter of John Mor 'Iain Mhor Tanistair' MacDonald, 1st Chief of Dunnyveg and Margery Byset, DID NOT MARRY; 'He had 1 illegitimate son (James Beg).'1,3,4 Sir James 'the Gross' Stewart, Master of Lennox died in 1451 at Ireland.1,3,4
- Family (Miss) MacDonald
- Matilda Stewart+1
- 1.[S11563] The Scots Peerage, Vol. I, edited by Sir James Balfour Paul, p. 151.
- 2.[S11649] Clan MacFarlane & Associated Clans Genealogy.
- 3.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. III, p. 545-546.
- 4.[S4] Douglas Richardson, Royal Ancestry, Vol. I, p. 622.
- 5.[S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. III, p. 543.
- 6.[S4] Douglas Richardson, Royal Ancestry, Vol. I, p. 619-620.
- From: http://our-royal-titled-noble-and-commoner-ancestors.com/p1378.htm#i41395
- From: Stirnet
- Patrick Buchanan of that ilk, 13th of Buchanan (d before 07.1477)
- m. Jonet Cunynghame
- Patrick's wife if identified by BLG1962 as the daughter and heiress of Galbraith of Killearn, Balmois, etc.
- 1. Walter Buchanan of that ilk, 14th of Buchanan (d 1526)
- m. (before 26.11.1463) Isabelle Graham (dau of William Graham, 2nd Lord)
- '2. Annabella Buchanan
- ' m. James Stewart of Baldorrans
- partner unknown
- 3. Patrick Buchanan
- Main sources:
- (1) "Strathendrick and its Inhabitants from Early Times" by John Guthrie Smith, published in Glasgow in 1896
- (2) BLG1952 (Murray-Buchanan of Leny).
James Stewart, 1st Laird of Baldorran's Timeline
Scotland, United Kingdom