Son of James Sutherland, 2nd Lord Duffus and Lady Margaret Mackenzie
|Managed by:||Sheila Anne Gordon|
About Sir James Sutherland Dunbar, of Hempriggs, 1st Baronet, 1st Lord Duffus
The second son of James Sutherland, 2nd Lord Duffus and Lady Margaret Mackenzie (1).
Baptised James Sutherland (1), his name was legally changed (4) to James Dunbar when he married, as her second husband, Elizabeth Dunbar, daughter of Sir William Dunbar of Hempriggs, 1st Bt. and Margaret Sinclair, circa 1704 (2). He assumed her name and arms.
He was created 1st Baronet Dunbar, of Hempriggs, co. Caithness [Nova Scotia] on 10 December 1706, with a special remainder to heirs male whatsoever (3).
He died in 1724 (3).
Children of Sir James Dunbar of Hempriggs, 1st Bt. and Elizabeth Dunbar
- Elizabeth Dunbar (1) d. 21 Jul 1800
- Sir William Dunbar of Hempriggs, 2nd Bt. (5) d. 12 Jun 1793
- Janet Dunbar (6)
- James Dunbar (7) d. 1741
- Charlotte Dunbar (7)
- Rachel Dunbar (7)
- [S21] L. G. Pine, The New Extinct Peerage 1884-1971: Containing Extinct, Abeyant, Dormant and Suspended Peerages With Genealogies and Arms (London, U.K.: Heraldry Today, 1972), page 109. Hereinafter cited as The New Extinct Peerage.
- [S37] Charles Mosley, editor, Burke's Peerage, Baronetage & Knightage, 107th edition, 3 volumes (Wilmington, Delaware, U.S.A.: Burke's Peerage (Genealogical Books) Ltd, 2003), volume 3, page 3902. Hereinafter cited as Burke's Peerage and Baronetage, 107th edition.
- [S15] George Edward Cokayne, editor, The Complete Baronetage, 5 volumes (no date (c. 1900); reprint, Gloucester, U.K.: Alan Sutton Publishing, 1983), volume IV, page 442. Hereinafter cited as The Complete Baronetage.
- [S37] Charles Mosley, Burke's Peerage and Baronetage, 107th edition, volume 1, page 1204.
- [S15] George Edward Cokayne, The Complete Baronetage, volume IV, page 443.
- [S363] Fiona Sinclair, "Sinclairs of Barrock," e-mail message to unknown recipient. Hereinafter cited as "Sinclairs of Barrock."
- [S37] Charles Mosley, Burke's Peerage and Baronetage, 107th edition.
James was an advocate, Scotland.
57) James Sutherland, second son of James (No. 53), died before 1739. He married, after 1704, Elizabeth, only child and heiress of Sir William Dunbar, Bt. of Hempriggs. Assuming the name of Dunbar, he was created a Baronet 10th December 1706. His widow survived until 11th March 1756. They had issue:
- 57(a) William (No. 58 below).
- 57(b) James Sutherland, died s.p. 1742.