About James Veitch
Veitch of Elliock, Lord Elliock, James. 25/09/1712-01/07/1793. Ref: 1541. Male.
- Titles and British Honours: Hon.
- Place of Birth: Edinburgh.
- Place of Death: St Andrew Square, Edinburgh.
- Profession: Advocate, Politician, Landowner.
- Appointments Held: Advocate 1738; Sheriff 1747 Peebles; MP 1755-60, Dumfriesshire; 1761-93 Senator of The College of Justice; 1769 Commissioner for Forfeited Estates; 1776-Deputy Governor, Royal Bank of Scotland; 1777-Board of Trustees for Manufactures & Fisheries.
- Training: Apprenticed WS to his father.
- Undergraduate Studies: Edinburgh University, 1733 Leyden, Halle.
- Marital Status: Unmarried.
- Mother: nee Thomson.
- Father: William Veitch of Elliock, WS, d. 1747.
- References: DNB 58, 1899, 199; F J Grant 1944; Shapin 466; S Devlin-Thorp Scotland's Cultural Heritage, 2, 1981, 87.
- Date of Election: 17/11/1783.
- Proposers: Founder Member.
- Service to the RSE: Councillor 1789-93.
- Fellow Type: OF.
SOURCE: Waterston, Charles D; Macmillan Shearer, A (July 2006). Biographical index of former fellows of the Royal Society of Edinburgh, 1783-2002: Biographical Index. II. Edinburgh: The Royal Society of Edinburgh. ISBN 978-0-902198-84-5. page 953
- Wikipedia contributors. "James Veitch, Lord Elliock." Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia.