Jane [Joan] Stradling (Beaufort)
|Also Known As:||"Jane Beaufort", "Joan Beaufort"|
|Birthplace:||Westminster, London, Middlesex, England|
|Death:||Died in St Donats, Vale of Glamorgan, United Kingdom|
Daughter of Cardinal Henry Beaufort, Bishop of Winchester and Alice FitzAlan, Lady Cherleton
|Managed by:||Private User|
Matching family tree profiles for Jane [Joan] Stradling
About Jane [Joan] Stradling
- Joan Beaufort1,2,3,4,5,6
- F, #14460, b. circa January 1392, d. 19 October 1479
- Father Henry Beaufort, Bishop of Lincoln, Winchester, Cardinal St. Eubesius7,8,9,10 b. c 1374, d. 11 Apr 1447
- Mother Alice FitzAlan8,5,10 b. c 1373, d. b 13 Oct 1415
- Joan Beaufort was born circa January 1392 at of Westminster, Middlesex, England.2,6 She married Sir Edward Stradling, Sheriff of Dorsetshire & Somersetshire, Constable of Taunton, son of Sir William Stradling and Isabel St. Barbe, circa 1410; They had 3 sons (Sir Henry; John, Archdeacon of Llandaff; & David) and 1 daughter (Joan/Katherine, wife of Maurice Dennis, Esq.).2,3,4,5,6 Joan Beaufort died on 19 October 1479.2,3,4,6
- Family Sir Edward Stradling, Sheriff of Dorsetshire & Somersetshire, Constable of Taunton b. c 1389, d. c 27 Jun 1452
- Katherine (Joan) Stradling+11,3,4,12,13 b. c 1412, d. b 1 Nov 1437
- Sir Henry Stradling+3,4,13 b. b 1422, d. 1476
- [S3856] Unknown author, Plantagenet Ancestry of 17th Century Colonists, by David Faris, p. 15; Ancestral Roots of 60 Colonists, p. 164, 191.
- [S5] Douglas Richardson, Plantagenet Ancestry, p. 78-79.
- [S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. IV, p. 116-117.
- [S6] Douglas Richardson, Plantagenet Ancestry: 2nd Edition, Vol. I, p. 205-206.
- [S4] Douglas Richardson, Royal Ancestry, Vol. II, p. 612.
- [S4] Douglas Richardson, Royal Ancestry, Vol. V, p. 55.
- [S5] Douglas Richardson, Plantagenet Ancestry, p. 77-78.
- [S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. IV, p. 114-115.
- [S6] Douglas Richardson, Plantagenet Ancestry: 2nd Edition, Vol. I, p. 203-204.
- [S4] Douglas Richardson, Royal Ancestry, Vol. V, p. 51-53.
- [S16] Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry, 2nd Edition, Vol. II, p. 57.
- [S4] Douglas Richardson, Royal Ancestry, Vol. II, p. 433.
- [S4] Douglas Richardson, Royal Ancestry, Vol. V, p. 54-55.
- From: http://our-royal-titled-noble-and-commoner-ancestors.com/p481.htm#i14460
- Joan Beaufort1
- F, #23764, b. circa 1402, d. circa 1453
- Last Edited=11 Jun 2006
- Consanguinity Index=0.81%
- Joan Beaufort was born illegitimately circa 1402 at Westminster, London, England.1,2 She was the daughter of Henry de Beaufort and Alice FitzAlan.1 She married Sir Edward Stradling, son of Sir William Stradling and Isobel St. Barbe.1 She died circa 1453.2
- Her married name became Stradling.1
- Child of Joan Beaufort and Sir Edward Stradling
- Sir Henry Stradling+2 b. c 1424, d. c 1450
- 1. [S2] Peter W. Hammond, editor, The Complete Peerage or a History of the House of Lords and All its Members From the Earliest Times, Volume XIV: Addenda & Corrigenda (Stroud, Gloucestershire, U.K.: Sutton Publishing, 1998), page 39. Hereinafter cited as The Complete Peerage, Volume XIV.
- 2. [S1381] Cheryl Nicol, "re: Long Family," e-mail message to Darryl Lundy, 5 July 2005 to 14 May 2006. Hereinafter cited as "re: Long Family."
- Joan Beaufort - The Peerage.com
- Jane BEAUFORT
- Born: AFT 1402, Westminster, Middlesex, England
- Father: Henry BEAUFORT (Cardinal)
- Mother: Alice FITZALAN
- Married: Edward STRADLING (Sir) (b. ABT 1398, St. Donats, Hawey, E.Orchard, Coventry- d. 1453, Jerusalem) ABT 1424
- 1. Henry STRADLING (Sir)
- From: http://www.tudorplace.com.ar/BEAUFORT.htm#Jane BEAUFORT1
- Lady Joan Beaufort Stradling
- Birth: unknown
- Death: Oct. 19, 1479
- Family links:
- Henry Beaufort (1374 - 1447)
- Edward Stradling (____ - 1452)*
- Henry Stradling (____ - 1476)*
- Burial: Unknown
- Find A Grave Memorial# 101395815
- From: http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=101395815
- Name Joan Beaufort [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18]
- Born 1385-1391 of, Westminster, London, Middlesex, England 
- Died 19 Oct 1479 [28, 29]
- Father Henry Beaufort, Bishop of Lincoln & Winchester, b. Abt 1373, Château de Beaufort, Maine-et-Loire, France d. 11 Apr 1447, Winchester, Hampshire, England (Age ~ 74 years)
- Mother Alice Arundell, b. Abt 1368, of, Arundel, Sussex, England d. Bef 1401 (Age ~ 33 years)
- Family Sir Edward Stradling, Knight, b. Cal 1389, of, St. Donats, Somersetshire, England d. 5 May 1453, , , Jerusalem (Age ~ 64 years)
- Married Abt 1423-1424 [6, 12, 13, 19, 31]
- 1. Joan Stradling
- 2. Sir Harry Stradling, Knight of the Holy Sepulchre, b. Cal 1423, of, St. Donats, Ogmore, Glamorganshire, Wales d. 31 Aug 1476, Famagusta, Cyprus (Age ~ 53 years)
- 3. John Stradling, Archdeacon of Llandaff, b. Abt 1426
- 4. David Stradling, b. Abt 1428
- [S50] Medieval, royalty, nobility family group sheets (filmed 1996), Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Family History Department. Medieval Family History Unit, (Manuscript. Salt Lake City, Utah : Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah, 1996), FHL film 1553977-1553985..
- [S26] #374 The Lineage and Ancestry of H. R. H. Prince Charles, Prince of Wales (1977), Paget, Gerald, (2 volumes. Baltimore: Geneal. Pub., 1977), FHL book Q 942 D22pg., vol. 1 p. 23.
- [S17] #894 Cahiers de Saint-Louis (1976), Louis IX, Roi de France, (Angers: J. Saillot, 1976), FHL book 944 D22ds., vol. 2 p. 95; vol. 11 p. 875.
- [S45] #673 The New England Historical and Genealogical Register (1846-), (Boston, Massachusetts: New England Historic Genealogical Society, 1846-), FHL book 974 B2ne; CD-ROM No 33 Parts 1-9; See FHL catalog for microfilm numbers., "Royal Bye-Blows II" vol. 121 p. 186.
- [S29] #798 The Wallop Family and Their Ancestry, Watney, Vernon James, (4 volumes. Oxford: John Johnson, 1928), FHL book Q 929.242 W159w; FHL microfilm 1696491 items 6-9., vol. 3 p. 735.
- [S121] #4569 Welsh Genealogies AD 1400-1500 (1983), Bartrum, Peter C. (Peter Clement), (18 volumes, with supplements containing additions and corrections. Aberystwyth: National Library of Wales, 1983), FHL book 942.9 D2bw., vol. 10 p. 1621.
- [S60] Foundations: Journal of the Foundation for Medieval Genealogy, (Periodical. Chobham, Surrey, England: Foundation for Medieval Genealogy, 2005- Published twice yearly.), vol. 1 no. 4 2004 p. 251.
- [S944] #312 Testaments vetusta (1826), Nicolas, Sir Nicholas Harris, (2 volumes in one. London: Nichols, 1826 Online at GoogleBooks.), FHL book 942 P28n; FHL microfilm 897,029, also FHL microfilm 1,514,320., vol. 1 p. 255.
- "Edward Stradling, Knight, husband of the natural daughter of Henry de Beaufort, Bishop of Winchester."
- [S46] #93 [Book version] The Dictionary of National Biography: from the Earliest Times to 1900 (1885-1900, reprint 1993), Stephen, Leslie, (22 volumes. 1885-1900. Reprint, Oxford, England: Oxford University Press, 1993), FHL book 920.042 D561n., vol. 4 p. 47.
- "In his early years, Henry was the lover of Lady Alice Fitzalan, daughter of Richard, Earl of Arundel, and by her had a daughter named Joan, who married sir Edward Stradling, knight, of St. Donat's, in the county of Glamorgan."
- [S23] Magna Carta Ancestry: A study in Colonial and Medieval Families, Richardson, Douglas, (Kimball G. Everingham, editor. 2nd edition, 2011), vol. 2 p. 193.
- [S23] Magna Carta Ancestry: A study in Colonial and Medieval Families, Richardson, Douglas, (Kimball G. Everingham, editor. 2nd edition, 2011), vol. 4 p. 116.
- [S35] #240 Collins's Peerage of England, Genealogical, Biographical, and Historical, Greatly Augmented, and Continued to the Present Time (1812), Brydges, Sir Egerton,, (9 volumes. London: [T. Bensley], 1812), FHL book 942 D22be., vol. 1 p. 222.
- [S49] #2058 The American Genealogist (1932-1965), Jacobus, Donald Lines, (32 volumes in 11. New Haven: D. L. Jacobus, 1932-1965), FHL book 973 B2aga, D25aga., vol. 32 p. 11.
- [S995] Dictionary of Welsh Biography, Society of Cymmrodorion, (20 Bedford Square. London. 1969.), FHL 920.0429 C992c 1959., p. 925.
- [S42] #89 A Genealogical History of the Kings of England, and Monarchs of Great Britain, & C. From the Conquest, Anno 1066 to the Year, 1677, Sandford, Francis Esq., (London: Thomas Newcomb, 1677), FHL microfilm 599,670 item 3., p. 254.
- [S818] #313 A collection of all the wills, now known to be extant, of the kings and queens of England, princes and princessess of Wales, and every branch of the blood royal : from the reign of William the Conqueror to that of Henry the Seventh, exclusive, with e, Nichols, John, (London : J. Nichols, 1780), 942 P29n., p. 329, 41.
- [S512] #698 A History of the Western Division of the County of Sussex: Including the Rapes of Chicheser, Arundel, and Bramber, with the City of Diocese of Chichester (1815-1832), Dallaway, James, (2 volumes in 3. London: T. Bensley, 1815-32), FHL book Q 942.25 H2d; FHL microfilms 496,787-496,788., vol. 2 pt. 1 p. 134.
- [S453] #1858 A Biographical Dictionary of the Judges of England: from the Conquest to the Present Time, 1066-1870 (1870), Foss, Edward, (Biographia Juridica [Series]. London: J. Murray, 1870), FHL book 942 D3fo; FHL microfiche 6036846., p. 66.
- [S122] #2106 Glamorganshire Pedigrees, from the Mss. Of Sir Isaac Heard, Knt, Garter King of Arms (1845), Phillipps, Thomas, Sir; Heard, Isaac, (Worcester: Deighton, 1845), FHL book 942.97 D2p; FHL microfilm 496,571 item 2., p. 26.
- [S163] #2226 Limbus Patrum Morganiae et Glamorganiae: Being the Genealogies of the Older Families of the Lordships of Morgan and Glamorgan (1886), Clark, George Thomas, (1 volume in 2. London: Wyman, 1886), FHL microfilm 990,307 items 2-3., pt. 2 p. 435.
- [S123] #1201 Cartae et alia munimenta quae ad dominium de Glamorganicia pertinent [Glamorgan Charters] (1910), Clark, Godfrey L., editor, (6 volumes. Cardif: William Lewis, 1910), FHL book 942.97 N2c; FHL microfiche 6035732-6035737., vol. 4 p. 1537.
- [S748] The Stradling family, Traherne, John Montgomery, (Salt Lake City, Utah : Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah, 1950), FHL microfilm 104396 Item 8., Pedigree of Stradling.
- [S62] #249 Miscellanea Genealogica et Heraldica (1868-1938), Church of England. Parish Church of Shere (Surrey), (31 volumes. London: Hamilton, Adams, 1868-1938), FHL book 942 B2m., 3rd series, vol. 4 p. 19.
- [S818] #313 A collection of all the wills, now known to be extant, of the kings and queens of England, princes and princessess of Wales, and every branch of the blood royal : from the reign of William the Conqueror to that of Henry the Seventh, exclusive, with e, Nichols, John, (London : J. Nichols, 1780), 942 P29n., p. 344.
- [S1017] #12647 Llyfr Baglan, or, the Book of Baglan, Compiled Between the Years 1600 and 1607: Transcribed from the Original Manuscript Preserved in the Public Library at Cardiff (1910), Williams, John, (London: Mitchell, Hughes and Clarke, 1910), FHL book 942.97/B1 D2w; FHL microfilm 104,835., p. 149.
- [S111] #1210 The Family of Griffith of Garn and Plasnewydd in the County of Denbigh, as Registered in the College of Arms from the Beginning of the XIth Century (1934), Glenn, Thomas Allen, (London: Harrison, 1934), FHL book 929.2429 G875g; FHL microfilm 994,040 item 5., p. 221.
- [S17] #894 Cahiers de Saint-Louis (1976), Louis IX, Roi de France, (Angers: J. Saillot, 1976), FHL book 944 D22ds., vol. 2 p. 95.
- [S60] Foundations: Journal of the Foundation for Medieval Genealogy, (Periodical. Chobham, Surrey, England: Foundation for Medieval Genealogy, 2005- Published twice yearly.), vol. 1 no. 4 2004 p. 255.
- [S23] Magna Carta Ancestry: A study in Colonial and Medieval Families, Richardson, Douglas, (Kimball G. Everingham, editor. 2nd edition, 2011), vol. 4 p. 117.
- [S49] #2058 The American Genealogist (1932-1965), Jacobus, Donald Lines, (32 volumes in 11. New Haven: D. L. Jacobus, 1932-1965), FHL book 973 B2aga, D25aga., vol. 32 p. 10.
- [S177] #11458 The Story of St. Donat's Castle and Atlantic College (1983), Denning, Roy, editor, (Cowbridge, Glamorgan: D. Brown, 1983), FHL book 942.97/S3 K2s., p. 21.
- From: https://histfam.familysearch.org//getperson.php?personID=I2997&tree=EuropeRoyalNobleHous
- Name Joan Beaufort [1, 2, 3, 4]
- Born Abt 1391-1392
- Died 19 Oct 1479
- Father Cardinal Henry Beaufort, b. Abt 1375-1376, d. 11 Apr 1447, Winchester, Hampshire, England (Age ~ 71 years)
- Mother Alice Fitz Alan, b. Abt 1373-1375, d. Bef 13 Oct 1415 (Age ~ 40 years)
- Family Sir Edward Stradling, Knight, b. Abt 1389, of, St. Donats Castle, St. Donats, Glamorgan, Wales d. Bef 27 Jun 1452, Jerusalem, , Palestine (Age ~ 63 years)
- 1. Sir Henry Stradling, Knight, b. Abt 1423, of, St. Donats Castle, St. Donats, Glamorgan, Wales d. Abt 1476-1478, Famagusta, Famagusta, Cyprus (Age ~ 55 years)
- 2. John Stradling, Archdeacon of Llandaff
- 3. David Stradling
- 4. Joan Stradling
- [S2] #379 [7th edition, 1992] Ancestral Roots of Certain American Colonists, Who Came to America Before 1700 (7th edition, 1992), Weis, Frederick Lewis, (7th edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Company, c1992), FHL book 974 D2w 1992., p. 168 line 199A:33, p. 196 lines 234:31 and 234:32 (Reliability: 3).
- [S4] #230 [5th edition, 1999] The Magna Charta Sureties, 1215 (5th edition, 1999), Adams, Arthur, (5th edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1999), FHL book 973 D2aa 1999., p. 34 lines 27:8 and 27:9 (Reliability: 3).
- [S6] Plantagenet Ancestry of Seventeenth-century Colonists: the Descent from the Later Plantagenet Kings of England, Henry III, Edward I, Edward II, and Edward III, of Emigrants from England and Wales to the North American Colonies Before 1701 (2nd ed., 1999), Faris, David, (2nd edition. Boston: New England Historic Genealogical Society, 1999), FHL book 973 D2fp., p. 145 FITZ ALAN:12.i, p. 291 POOLE:8, 7 (Reliability: 3).
- [S3] #21 The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain and the United Kingdom, Extant, Extinct, or Dormant (1910), Cokayne, George Edward (main author) and Vicary Gibbs (added author), (New edition. 13 volumes in 14. London: St. Catherine Press,1910-), vol. 14 p. 39 [ARUNDEL] (Reliability: 3).
- From: https://histfam.familysearch.org//getperson.php?personID=I4780&tree=Nixon
- Henry Beaufort (died 11 April 1447) was a medieval English clergyman, Bishop of Winchester, a member of the royal house of Plantagenet, and Cardinal.
- The second of the four illegitimate children of John of Gaunt and his mistress Katherine Swynford, Beaufort was born in Anjou, an English domain in France, and educated for a career in the Church. After his parents were married in early 1396, Henry, his two brothers and one sister were declared legitimate by the pope and legitimated by Act of Parliament on 9 February 1397, but they were barred from the succession to the throne; this later proviso, that they were specifically barred from inheriting the throne, the exact phrase being excepta regali dignitate (English: the royal dignity excepted), was inserted with dubious authority by their half-brother Henry of Bolingbroke. On 27 February 1398 he was nominated Bishop of Lincoln and on 14 July 1398 he was consecrated. When his half-brother deposed Richard and took the throne as Henry IV of England, he made Bishop Beaufort Lord Chancellor of England in 1403. Beaufort resigned that position in 1404 when he was appointed Bishop of Winchester on 19 November.
- ... etc.
- When Henry was Bishop of Lincoln, he supposedly had an affair with Alice FitzAlan (1378–1415), the daughter of Richard FitzAlan and Elizabeth de Bohun; however, there is no evidence to support this allegation and the theory has been countered by Brad Verity. Henry fathered an illegitimate daughter, Jane Beaufort, in 1402, who some make Alice's daughter. Both Jane and her husband, Sir Edward Stradling, were named in Cardinal Beaufort's will. Their marriage about 1423 brought Sir Edward into the political orbit of his shrewd and assertive father-in-law, to whom he may have owed his appointment as chamberlain of South Wales in December 1423, a position he held until March 1437. The hypothesis of Jane's mother being Alice Fitzalan is possibly a legend subscribed to by the Tudor-era descendants of Sir Edward and Jane Stradling. There is no late-14th or early-15th century documentation to support this affair at all, and the surviving documentation entirely discounts it. However, a blood connection to Cardinal Beaufort would itself be prestigious, regardless of the mother or her marital status.
- From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Beaufort
- 12. HENRY Beaufort (-Wolvesey Palace, Winchester 11 Apr 1447, bur Winchester Cathedral). A late 15th century/early 16th century manuscript records that “post mortem Constancie secunde uxoris”, “Johannes Gaunt” married “dominam Katerinam de Swynfurth” by whom “in diebus domine Blanchie prime uxoris sue” he had “Johannem Bowfurth comitem Somersissie, Johannam Bowfurth comitissam Westmorelandie, Henricum Bowfurth presbiterum cardinalem et episcopum Wyntonyensem...Thomam Bowforth ducem Exoniensem vel Exeter” who were legitimated by the Pope and called “Bowfurthes aut Faerborne”. Dean of Wells Cathedral, Somerset 1397. Bishop of Lincoln. .... The will of "Henry commonly called Cardinal of England, Bishop of Winchester", dated 20 Jan 1446, chose burial “in my church of Winchester”, bequeathed property to “Johanna wife of Edward Stradlyng Knight...Hans Nulles...”. Under a second codicil dated 9 Apr 1447, proved 2 Sep 1447, "Henry Cardinal of England, and Bishop of Winchester" bequeathed property to “John Bastard of Somerset...William Swynford my nephew”. The Annales of William Wyrcester record the death 11 Apr 1447 of “Henricus Beauford cardinalis Angliæ”. [Mistress (1): ALICE FitzAlan, wife of JOHN Cherleton Lord Cherleton, daughter of RICHARD FitzAlan Earl of Arundel & his first wife Elizabeth de Bohun. She is said to have been the mother of Cardinal Beaufort´s supposed illegitimate daughter shown below. If this is correct, the chronology suggests that he would have been considerably younger than her.] [Thomas had one possible illegitimate daughter by Mistress (1):]
- a) [JOAN (-after 20 Jan 1446). The will of "Henry commonly called Cardinal of England, Bishop of Winchester", dated 20 Jan 1446, chose burial “in my church of Winchester”, bequeathed property to “Johanna wife of Edward Stradlyng Knight...Hans Nulles...”. The prominent position of “Johanna” in this will suggests a close family relationship with the testator, maybe she was his illegitimate daughter. m EDWARD Stradling of St Donat´s, Glamorgan, son of --- (-after 20 Jan 1446).]
- From: http://fmg.ac/Projects/MedLands/ENGLAND,%20Kings%201066-1603.htm#HenryBeaufortdied1447
- Alice FitzAlan, Lady Cherleton (1378–1415) was an English noblewoman, being the daughter of Richard FitzAlan, 11th Earl of Arundel. She was the wife of John Charleton, 4th Baron Cherleton. She was also allegedly the mistress of Cardinal Henry Beaufort, by whom she had an illegitimate daughter, Jane Beaufort, though there is no real evidence to support this.
- Lady Alice was born in Arundel Castle, Sussex in 1378, one of the seven children of Richard Fitzalan, 11th Earl of Arundel by his first wife Elizabeth de Bohun. She had two brothers, including Thomas Fitzalan, 12th Earl of Arundel, and four sisters, Lady Eleanor FitzAlan, Lady Elizabeth FitzAlan, Lady Joan FitzAlan, and Lady Margaret FitzAlan. Her paternal grandparents were Richard Fitzalan, 10th Earl of Arundel and Eleanor of Lancaster, and her maternal grandparents were William de Bohun, 1st Earl of Northampton and Elizabeth de Badlesmere.
- On 21 September 1397, her father was executed at Tower Hill, Cheapside for high treason against King Richard II of England.
- Sometime before March 1392 Alice married John Cherleton, 4th Lord Cherleton (25 April 1362 – 19 October 1401). According to popular belief, following her marriage she became the mistress of Cardinal Henry Beaufort, and bore him an illegitimate daughter, Jane Beaufort. In Philip Yorke's The Royal Tribes of Wales, he states that Cardinal Beaufort left an illegitimate daughter by Alice, daughter of Fitzalan, Earl of Arundel. Genealogist Douglas Richardson also confirms the affair between Alice and the Cardinal. Beaufort did indeed father an illegitimate daughter, Jane Beaufort, possibly before Henry took holy orders on 7 April 1397, although the idea of Jane's mother being Alice Fitzalan is possibly a legend of Tudor-era descendants of Jane Beaufort and her husband Sir Edward Stradling. There is no late-14th/early-15th century documentation to support this affair at all, and the surviving documentation entirely discounts it. Jane and Sir Edward Stradling had three sons and a daughter, Katherine.
- Alice's husband died on 19 October 1401, and she herself died before October 1415 at the age of about thirty-seven years.
- From: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alice_FitzAlan_(1378%E2%80%931415)
- Dictionary of National Biography, 1885-1900, Volume 04
- Beaufort, Henry by William Hunt
- BEAUFORT, HENRY (d. 1447), bishop of Winchester and cardinal, was the second and illegitimate son of John of Gaunt by Catherine, widow of Sir Hugh Swynford. His parents having been married in 1396, their children were the next year declared legitimate by Richard II, and the king's patent of legitimation was confirmed by parliament. In common with his brother John, earl of Somerset, and Thomas, duke of Exeter, Henry took his name from Beaufort Castle, in Anjou, the place of his birth. He is said to have studied at Oxford, but he spent the greater part of his youth at Aachen, where he read the civil and the canon law. He was made prebendary of Thame 1389, and of Sutton 1391, both in the diocese of Lincoln. He held the deanery of Wells in 1397, and, having been appointed bishop of Lincoln by papal provision, was consecrated 14 July 1398, after the death of John Bokyngham [see Bokyngham, John]. The next year he became chancellor of the university of Oxford. The election of his half-brother, Henry of Lancaster, to the throne, gave the Bishop of Lincoln a prominent place in the kingdom. .... etc.
- .... In his early years he was the lover of Lady Alice Fitzalan, daughter of Richard, Earl of Arundel, and by her had a daughter named Joan, who married Sir Edward Stradling, knight, of St. Donat's, in the county of Glamorgan. .... etc.
- From: http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Beaufort,_Henry_(DNB00)
Jane [Joan] Stradling's Timeline
Westminster, London, Middlesex, England
St Donats, The Vale of Glamorgan, WALES UK
Gloucestershire, England (present UK)
St Donats, Vale of Glamorgan, United Kingdom